PDA

View Full Version : XMT Product on Black Roush

Totoland Mach
05-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Sorry folks: no "before" pics, but this 2001 Roush had light swirls which I removed with XMT #2 Light Swirl Remover. There were a few deep scratches that needed SSR 2.5 to correct.

The big plus again is XMT Carnuba Finishing Glaze. That product is astounding if you haven't tried it.

Here's a pic taken at a Cruise In after I finished.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BlackRoush_CruiseIn.jpg

Here's a reflection shot. The black paint really showed depth and gloss.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BlackRoush_XMTfinishglaze1.jpg

Another reflection shot. Total time to paint correct was approx. 6 hours (Wash, clay, swirl remove, work on some deep scratches)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BlackRoush_XMTfinishglaze2.jpg

XMT is gonna be a great line for Autogeek Folks...no doubt about it!

Totoland Mach

nick1897
05-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Nice job! :applause:

What wax and polish was used?

Totoland Mach
05-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Nice job! :applause:

What wax and polish was used?

Nick: I used the new XMT #2 Swirl Remover with a Propel Green Pad. There were some tough areas of deeper scratches that I tried Meg's DACP first and went to SSR 2.5 to remove.

Finally: I used the XMT Carnuba Finishing Glaze as a last step.

That was it...

Totoland Mach

MattN03
05-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Looks great Toto!!

Totoland Mach
05-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Looks great Toto!!

Thanks Matt: I'm beginning to feel like the corner XMT "Crack" dealer LOL.

ScottB
05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
XMT is truly a great line at a reasonable price point. I suspect it will compete heavily with several well known lines as time progresses.

BlackCoupe
05-14-2006, 09:16 PM
XMT is truly a great line at a reasonable price point. I suspect it will compete heavily with several well known lines as time progresses.

I wouldn't think that money is an issue when you are chasing swirls, so you mean the other products?

How different can one swirl remover be from another, assuming similar abrasiveness and diminishing abrasives. It would seem to me that they either work or they don't. I can see subjective arguments over what wax looks "best" or last longer. I can see discussion about whether a polish has fillers to hide defects. It just seems to me that so many product lines is just marketing.

Am I just a cranky old man?

Totoland Mach
05-14-2006, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't think that money is an issue when you are chasing swirls, so you mean the other products?

How different can one swirl remover be from another, assuming similar abrasiveness and diminishing abrasives. It would seem to me that they either work or they don't. I can see subjective arguments over what wax looks "best" or last longer. I can see discussion about whether a polish has fillers to hide defects. It just seems to me that so many product lines is just marketing.

Am I just a cranky old man?

BlackCoupe....naaaaa, never a cranky old man! :) I'm in the 62+ years "young" range myself.

I think the plus here for Pinnacle is their history of formulating a very nice product in the XMT line. I use both Klasse and Meguiars DACP and find them excellent, but dusty products. The XMT didn't enter the dust realm which is a plus. I probably worked the product longer than the other 2 I've used (so from a commercial standpoint, time is money).

Overall, it's a question of value perceived for the dollars spent. I think we've all got products that are gathering dust and were bought on a hunch.

Oh well, I'm off to finish my Mach 1 tonight for next weekend's car show (another travel schedule during the week for me).

Totoland Mach

jwhite
05-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Totoland Mach,
I found my way here to the site!
Nice job on that Roush! ;)
Once again, thanks for your time and effort in detailing my car!

MattN03
05-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Toto, I ordered a bottle of XMT Carnuba Finishing Glaze and it'll be here by Thursday-just in time to take it with me to WFC :) I look forward to comparing it to Meg's NXT. I'm assuming this XMT can be hand applied since I'll be at the car show when applying?

BlackCoupe
05-15-2006, 06:02 PM
BlackCoupe....naaaaa, never a cranky old man! :) I'm in the 62+ years "young" range myself.

I think the plus here for Pinnacle is their history of formulating a very nice product in the XMT line. I use both Klasse and Meguiars DACP and find them excellent, but dusty products. The XMT didn't enter the dust realm which is a plus. I probably worked the product longer than the other 2 I've used (so from a commercial standpoint, time is money).

Overall, it's a question of value perceived for the dollars spent. I think we've all got products that are gathering dust and were bought on a hunch.

Oh well, I'm off to finish my Mach 1 tonight for next weekend's car show (another travel schedule during the week for me).

Totoland Mach

By dusty you mean they dry before you are finished working them?

Totoland Mach
05-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Toto, I ordered a bottle of XMT Carnuba Finishing Glaze and it'll be here by Thursday-just in time to take it with me to WFC :) I look forward to comparing it to Meg's NXT. I'm assuming this XMT can be hand applied since I'll be at the car show when applying?

Matt: yes, you can hand apply the Glaze. I'd use a foam applicator and do a small area at a time. Note: Immediately buff with a quality microfiber for best results.

BlackCoupe: actually, they start "working" when they powder. It's the way dimishing abrasives work. When I first started using DACP, I would put it on a foam polishing pad, work an area for 1-2 passes and wipe off. Zero results! Then I read where you are supposed to let the product "powder" up and make several passes, leaving a light haze...That did it! Swirls gone.

Toto

Reddwarf
05-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Toto, do you use a polishing tool or hand? I have swirls and scratches and tried using Meguires Scratch X on spots. I used a polishing pad by hand and I could not tell any difference. I'm not knocking Meguire products, I user some of their other products and have ben pleased with them. I may not be using the Scratch X properly.

BlackCoupe
05-27-2006, 10:48 AM
I went to a Meguiars clinic and watched Mike Phillips tape off an area on a late model black corvette and go at swirls with ScratchX on one side of the tape and the DA with Meguiars #80 on the other. The DA side was better, but not by much. Of course, the DA side was much easier to do. They say you have to use "passion" with ScratchX--what they mean is you have to work it HARD and do several applications. Your arms would fall off if you had to do a whole car. If you are working a scratch, work it across the scratch, not in the direction of the scratch.

Totoland Mach
05-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Toto, do you use a polishing tool or hand? I have swirls and scratches and tried using Meguires Scratch X on spots. I used a polishing pad by hand and I could not tell any difference. I'm not knocking Meguire products, I user some of their other products and have ben pleased with them. I may not be using the Scratch X properly.

Reddwarf: I use a porter-cable or cyclo tool for 90% of my work. I've used Meg's Scratch X before and was disappointed until Mike Phillips gave the the proper instructions: Number One: Scratch X is best applied by hand to remove "a" scratch. You'll be disappointed if you try to remove swirls with the product. Number Two: (and this was what I wasn't doing). By hand, apply a small amount of Scratch X with an applicator pad and keep working that area until it literally disappears or leaves a slight haze. The abrasive needs a chance to work.

For instance: I had a stubborn bird dropping stain on the hood of my daily driver and really thought it was in the clear coat and in the paint. I talked to Mike and went through his recommended process. I probably spent a good 2-3 minutes working Scratch X. It worked!

I'd say give that method a try on a scratch..work a single area until the product disappears and check your results.

I hope that helps.

Totoland Mach