PDA

View Full Version : Pad widths

CLipster
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
All,

I know it has been asked before, what are the benefits of having one pad width over the other? as in like the 7/8 and the 1 1/2.

thanks

05xrunner
04-30-2012, 12:17 PM
less rotational mass and the DA wont bog down as much and can apply more pressure to those complex curves and not fight the machine from bogging down and get the job done faster

CLipster
04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
that is with the 7/8 inch ones?

05xrunner
04-30-2012, 12:36 PM
yes thinner is better..I personally only use the low profile hydros.

embolism
04-30-2012, 01:09 PM
There is an article by Todd Helme which goes into the science behind why thinner is better for a DA.

To simplify, consider the extreme where a pad is 5 inches thick. Way up at the top where it is attached to the backing plate, the machine is trying to turn the pad and jiggle at the same time. Way down at the bottom, where the pad is in contact with the paint, that rotating and oscillating force won't be as strong because it's partly being absorbed by all the foam in between.

In fact, to get any of that force up at the top down to the bottom, you'll need to compress that foam by adding pressure to the head of the polisher.

So in a nutshell, the thinner the foam between the bp and the paint, the more of the action of the polisher at the bp is transferred to the foam against the paint...

CLipster
04-30-2012, 01:11 PM
that is a perfect explaination. now I have finalized my pad order. thanks all.