PDA

View Full Version : Tire gel help please!!!

Pages : [1] 2

SheldonH
04-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Recently I have had alot of trouble with tire gel. Mine doesn't last at all like maybe a day. Secondly it slings on my freshly waxed paint.
My technique is as follows
Wash rim and tire
Allow to dry completely
Then apply and I have used applicators with gel,spray foam, spray gel and everything

Could u please recommend techniques and products

Setec Astronomy
04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
First of all, what product are you using? How are you cleaning the tire (products/technique)? Dressing longevity is frequently directly related to how clean the tire is when you apply. Slinging is frequently related to how you apply the dressing/remove excess.

Give us some more specifics on what you have been doing.

nrsk4u
04-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I had that same problem but never looked back after using Wolfgang black dimond tire gel. Goes on pretty funky but after a couple of min. It sets and I have yet to have it sling anywhere! Lasts for about a week

DetailElite
04-29-2012, 09:44 PM
There are a number of different products you could use you just have to try out different ones to see what YOU prefer. Personally, I like to use either Meguiar's Hot Shine, CG V.R.P Dressing or UTTG. All of them give different levels of shine, and when applied the right way none of them sling. Before you apply any tire dressing be sure the tire is thoroughly cleaned and DRY. After application wait a few minutes and go back to remove the excess. If you give it time to settle there shouldn't be any slinging.

SON1C
04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/Elias101a/Drews%20Detailing/fbd5a480.jpg

if its slinging you're using too much.

duration can be your tire needs a thorough cleaning as shown, or the product you're using simply sucks

Infinitiman
04-30-2012, 10:26 PM
I use a product called Tuf shine. It comes in a kit or you can buy the cleaner and clear coat separate . You first have to thoroughly clean the tire to remove old dressings which might take a couple of times, you just spray on the cleaner let sit for 30-60 sec then agitate with a tire brush then hose off. Do this until the suds are white when you spray on the cleaner. After that you let the tire dry,or use a leaf blower to speed things up. The clear coat came out in 2004 the first of its kind in water based permanent tire dressing ( I've heard up to several months) The shine is determined by the how many times you coat the tire. You coat it once,let dry then coat again,continue until the desired shine is reached. My tire are coated twice and it looks wet but doesnt have that very noticeable shine. I don't like that fake shine look. As for the sling it is probably silicone based dressing that you are using. Good luck:xyxthumbs:

ScottB
05-01-2012, 08:45 AM
The key to reducing slinging is a three step solution:

1. Clean tires well prior to application, no other dressing should be on tires which can slow curing and adhesive.

2. Tires must be dry, completely dry. Use a leaf blower or can of compressed air and remove any water stuck in ribbing and side lettering.

3. Rewipe any excess off after 10 minutes of drying.

4. (optional) uses new gels like Blackfire or Optimum Optibond which seem to be a little like lotion and dry faster and last longer.

KBsToy
05-01-2012, 08:48 AM
:iagree:

alko
05-01-2012, 08:55 AM
:iagree: with him agreeing with Scott :props:

Basically Scott said it best. There are alot of OTC products, IME, that slings. To date, the two best tire gel's I've used is Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel-doesn't sling but only lasts about a week, and Optibond-doesn't sling and gives a nice matte look (which I like). Alittle goes a LONG way with Optibond. I use about 3-4 tiny drops on an applicator to each tire. I then move the car forward alittle and get the remaining of the tire with 1 drop. Optibond is my favorite thus far.

Bamaboy007
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Two Words....Optimum Optibond

alko
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Two Words....Optimum Optibond

"theeerrrsss yeeerrr ssssiiiggggnnnn"

ryanbabz71
05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I like poor boys bold and bright

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Tiger
05-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Recently I have had alot of trouble with tire gel. Mine doesn't last at all like maybe a day. Secondly it slings on my freshly waxed paint.
My technique is as follows
Wash rim and tire
Allow to dry completely
Then apply and I have used applicators with gel,spray foam, spray gel and everything

Could u please recommend techniques and products
Try Tuff Shine Tire Coating. I hate dressing tires and this stuff doesnt sling and lasts a couple of months.

BobbyG
05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say this boils down to two possibilities;

Tires not clean enough
Too much product

Robert8194
05-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Optimum Opticoat sprayed on lightly.