PDA

View Full Version : At what stage do the scratches go away?

Largebore
04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Just detailed my BMW after a winter of neglect.

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Menzerama Compound.. yellow pad
4. Med cut Menzerma Super intensive.. orange pad
5. Menzerma Nano: White pad
6. Menzerma Micro: Blue Pad
7. Menzerma Glaze
8. Soverern

Ok, each step of the way the scratches look as if they are gone. But at the end some of them are still there along with some long sweeping mini scratches. I do not think they are swirls, but who knows.

Anyway, 2 questions.

[1] If i want to go back and re-work the scratches, do i need to go to level one and re-compoiund or one of the intermediare polish levels?

[2] When should the fine scratches go away, after Compound? med cut? fine cut ?

Thanks

swanicyouth
04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Wow! You did a lot of polishing steps! Any swirls or scratches you are able to remove should be gone after your first/ most aggressive polishing step; which in your case was compound. Anything after that you are refining your initial work. If you are still left with defects you should assess
1. Are these defects / scratches too deep to be removed safely
2. Is the technique/polish/pads the reason the we're not removed the first time you polished?
*** For me it took a few attempts of getting frustrated, giving up, buying more and more products before I was able to get good results. It wasn't really until I got involved with the AG website that I actually figured out what I was doing wrong, as I had nobody to show me. Aggressive polishes remove deeper scratches or defects in clear coat (and the less deep scratches too). A finer scratch will only need a milder polish, etc...
Actually, I found doing only a two step polish on my BMW takes care of almost all the defects I know I can remove(after washing and claying). Also, there has been some talk of Menzerna polish "hiding" defects for a short time do to speculated "paint swelling" that it may or may not cause.