PDA

View Full Version : Can I put Opti-Seal over Collinte 845

Pages : [1] 2

WRXINXS
04-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Can Opti-Seal go over Collinite 845? I have two scenerios:

1. I put a coat of Collinite on my Dad's 300zx last fall. It is garage kept and rarely driven. I washed it today and it was still beading. So can I put Opti-Seal over this old Collinte layer?

2. I put a fresh coat of Collinite on my Mom's daily driver last week. Can I follow up with Opti-Seal now?

The reason why I'm not sure is that the 845 is carnauba and the Opti-Seal is a sealant, and I know the sealant first wax second rule. I might have heard something about the Opti-Seal settling under the wax layer?

Thanks for any help,
Drew

BobbyG
04-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi Drew,

Sealants require a clean surface in order to properly bond. Generally, after the sealant cures then toy can apply either another cost of sealant or a coat of wax.

Sealant then wax.....

ForceField
04-29-2012, 06:16 PM
845 is a carnauba based wax? Given the talk of it's durability I was under the impression it was a polymer sealant. Is it a hybrid or something?

WRXINXS
04-29-2012, 06:45 PM
The description says "Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax, for example, is one of the finest liquid carnauba waxes you can buy. It has the shine and wetness of carnauba but its longevity is more like a paint sealant."

pcw25
04-29-2012, 07:29 PM
I have indeed tried this combo, and opti-seal on top of 845 does not work well. Most likely because opti-seal can't bond to carnauba. It stripped my 845. I would flip it around and put opti-seal on first so you don't learn the hard way like I did.

DeadlySheds
04-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm no expert by any stretch, but I've been working my truck and have been putting OS on top of collite 845. Seems fine to me.

I based my decision on a thread on the optimum forum. If you go there and search 'collinite' you'll see a thread titled "Drying time between OS and applying OCW".

In that thread Chris from optimum states " You can use an apples to apples comparison here. If you have another sprayable, non-abrasive, WOWO wax then yes. If however, you have a paste, liquid, or wax that you have to wait for the solvents to flash off, I would reverse the order and Wax first, then OS."

Again, I seriously have no detailing 'cred' so I wouldn't base any major decisions on anything said by me.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

nrsk4u
04-29-2012, 09:11 PM
845 is a carnauba based wax? Given the talk of it's durability I was under the impression it was a polymer sealant. Is it a hybrid or something?

That's EXACTLY what I'm wondering

WRXINXS
04-29-2012, 09:28 PM
I have indeed tried this combo, and opti-seal on top of 845 does not work well. Most likely because opti-seal can't bond to carnauba. It stripped my 845. I would flip it around and put opti-seal on first so you don't learn the hard way like I did.

What if your 845 was almost dead anyway, would it be OK to apply opti-seal?

HellDemon
04-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Well the layers you put on top only last as long as the layers you have underneath. So if your top layer lasts 2 months whereas your base layer only lasts 1 month, the 2 month top will only last 1 month.
So it's always best to strip your coating before working on anything else if you know it's already dying.

Ryan R
04-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Well the layers you put on top only last as long as the layers you have underneath. So if your top layer lasts 2 months whereas your base layer only lasts 1 month, the 2 month top will only last 1 month.
So it's always best to strip your coating before working on anything else if you know it's already dying.

I'm going to have to disagree only because of my own personal experience . I've never had durability or longevity issues with topping AIO's with 845. I did two co workers cars that way and it's still holding up after 4/5 months

WRXINXS
04-30-2012, 03:02 PM
I posed this question to Optimum and got back the response back from Dr. G that opti-seal can be used over Collinite wax and it will add to the longevity and looks of the Collinite. It will actually settle under the Collinite and bond to the surface.

Ryan R
04-30-2012, 05:05 PM
I posed this question to Optimum and got back the response back from Dr. G that opti-seal can be used over Collinite wax and it will add to the longevity and looks of the Collinite. It will actually settle under the Collinite and bond to the surface.

Thanks for the research on this. Sounds like a pretty durable combo to me.

BobbyG
04-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Hi Drew,

I'm not doubting this is what Dr. G told you but things need to make sense in my mind and this one doesn't.

I'm an Engineer not a chemist but I find it hard to believe that Optimum Opti-Seal can be applied over Collinite 845 and somehow it migrates through the wax then bonds to the actual finish.

Collinite 845 wax is a very durable product and repels most anything that comes in contact with it for approximately 5 months. Now, this certainly doesn't apply to solvents, cleaners, and the like.

Optimum Opti-Seal somehow attacks and dissolves the Collinite 845 while in place, slipping beneath it, bonding itself to the finish, and properly cure....Then the layer of Collinite 845 would re-solidify and harden....

From the Optimum Opti-Seal webpage....

Optimum Opti-Seal is a true paint sealant with no cleaning properties. It seals and protects paint under a crystal clear barrier of cross-linked polymers.

Optimum Opti-Seal can also be used as a base coat under Optimum Car Wax or any other car wax.

qaz393
04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
yes, but it wouldnt last as long.

WRXINXS
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Bobby,

Dr. G said it had something to do with the lower surface tension of the sealant polymers. I find all this hard to picture. But, just so you know, I know opti-seal should go down first (Sealant first wax second). This is just a case of I already have the wax down and just wondered if opti-seal on top would help. I don't make a habit of putting sealant on top of wax lol!

Drew