PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Marine line really different??

Jomax
04-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Need to order compound and polish. Is Meg's marine #91 really any better than M105 for oxidation? Do they really make a whole different mixture for their marine line?? Thanks in advance

Hoytman
04-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Need to order compound and polish. Is Meg's marine #91 really any better than M105 for oxidation? Do they really make a whole different mixture for their marine line?? Thanks in advance

Here's some reading for you from Mike Stoops and Meguiar's: Marine vs Automotive (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?54498-Marine-vs-Automotive)

Gel-coat labs by Premium Finish Care (the makers of Ultima products) also make products for gel-coat.

basko93
04-29-2012, 06:43 AM
I have a question, can you use marine compound on a car? My car has extremely hard clear coat, DuPont chromaster paint and clear. My paint rep wants me to 1500 and 3000 wet sand then hit it with perfect it line of compounds and pads. Well if I use 3000 paper and megs compound pad it is a nightmare to remove the 3000 sand marks. I have also used the 3M compounds to no avail with my rotary at around 1700 to 2000 rpm. I like smaller pads and do not want to use a wool or 3ms white compound pads, way to dangerous on my camaro with all those edges. I wonder if a more aggressive compound would help. I like 4 inch pads on my rotary for control and less sling, but need a aggressive pad to help cut. Any suggestions?

BillE
04-29-2012, 07:34 AM
If you rub a bit of Power Cut (M-91) between your fingers, you can feel the grittiness. Whereas, with 105, you don't.

That's about the best way I can describe it.

M-91 is one 'mean dude'.

Bill

Jomax
04-29-2012, 10:13 AM
, looks like M67 will be my best bet for my trailer. Bill did you ever use M67?

Hoytman
04-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Which Bill...?
No. I haven't gotten to my projects yet, but I plan on getting some to try.

Jomax
04-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Which Bill...?
No. I haven't gotten to my projects yet, but I plan on getting some to try.

BillE, but if you're Bill aswell I ca be meant both ways :). I'll be using M65 then top it off with Meguairs premium flagship marine wax. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

BillE
04-29-2012, 12:27 PM
, looks like M67 will be my best bet for my trailer. Bill did you ever use M67?

In a word...Yes.

Here is a (kinda) break down of Meg's marine/RV 'stuff'.

M-91-Power Cut Compound: Heavy Cut
M-67-One Step Compound: Mid Cut
M-49-HD Oxidation Remover: Mild Cut
M-44-Color Restorer: Maintenance

M-63 (Flagship) is a 'poly wax' and it seems to hold up pretty well on an RV. Don't know about a boat. That last sentence made no sense...you're working on a trailer (the homework prior to finals are getting to me...LOL). Just apply THIN!

Mind you I do NOT use a rotary. I just can't hang on a ladder or what ever and swing one anymore (age is starting really bite).

Bill

Jomax
04-29-2012, 01:02 PM
In a word...Yes.

Here is a (kinda) break down of Meg's marine/RV 'stuff'.

M-91-Power Cut Compound: Heavy Cut
M-67-One Step Compound: Mid Cut
M-49-HD Oxidation Remover: Mild Cut
M-44-Color Restorer: Maintenance

M-63 (Flagship) is a 'poly wax' and it seems to hold up pretty well on an RV. Don't know about a boat. That last sentence made no sense...you're working on a trailer (the homework prior to finals are getting to me...LOL). Just apply THIN!

Mind you I do NOT use a rotary. I just can't hang on a ladder or what ever and swing one anymore (age is starting really bite).

Bill
i was on my phone when i wrote it lol. I will be using a GG orbital. For the last sentence not making sense, i dont follow, which sentence?

Jomax
04-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Do you guys think that one 32oz bottle will be enough compound for a 32ft trailer?

BillE
04-30-2012, 07:25 AM
i was on my phone when i wrote it lol. I will be using a GG orbital. For the last sentence not making sense, i dont follow, which sentence?

About the fact you are working on a trailer, not a boat. I made reference about how I didn't know about the longevity of Flagship a boat.

The quart bottle SHOULD be plenty.

Bill

Jomax
04-30-2012, 10:52 AM
About the fact you are working on a trailer, not a boat. I made reference about how I didn't know about the longevity of Flagship a boat.

The quart bottle SHOULD be plenty.

Bill

Should've worded it better :) thanks for all the help guys. I decided for the LSP to be Fk1000p. Being in the extreme heAt we have in AZ, I think that will hold up the best.