PDA

View Full Version : optimum finish polish tacky/hard to remove

Pages : [1] 2

timaishu
04-28-2012, 03:20 PM
In preperation for opticoating my hood. I pulled out a LC white 5.5 pad with my GG on speed 5 with medium/light pressure.

The working time seemed pretty good. Kept going for 6 passes. However, while moving the GG across the surface, it felt like it was kind of grabby. Not gliding across the surface like I am used to with my meguiars polishes.

When I went to wipe off the remain polish, it was really grabby/tacky feeling. I pulled the car into the sun and there were streaks everywhere. After spraying some QD and then going over it, and then using a clean side, I finally got it all off.

Am I using the product wrong? I primed the pad. Then used 3 dots. Did 5-6 passes. And then tried to wipe it off. I was polishing in the shade.

I also have Optimum Polish II, I decided to go with OFP because my hood is already in great condition. Its hard to find any swirling at all. But I want to go over it with something to be sure before sealing it all in.

timaishu
04-28-2012, 04:06 PM
I tried out my Optimum Polish II and that was much easier to work with. The polisher glided better and the removal was easier. A little tacky still, but I was able to remove most all in one go. Flipped the towel over and got the rest off.

dougaross
04-28-2012, 04:41 PM
You should be using enough product so the there is a barrier between paint and pad. You do not want to dry buff. Use speed 3-4 on pc. Wipe off residue by misting with water

Chris Thomas
04-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Griots machine transfers a lot of heat to the pad at higher speeds. Try a few less passes at a lower speed and see if that does better for you. Also, be sure to use a clean pad that hasn't been used with another product and see if that makes a difference.

Old Tiger
04-28-2012, 05:19 PM
You should be using enough product so the there is a barrier between paint and pad. You do not want to dry buff. Use speed 3-4 on pc. Wipe off residue by misting with water
...and r wipe off immediately or polish a smaller area!

swanicyouth
04-28-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm no pro, but because I was so amazed with other Optimum products
(ONR, Spray Gloss, OptiCoat) I decided to buy all the liquid Optimum polishes for the next time I need them. Previously I was using Wolfgang Polishes (with great success) and Menzerna. I used the Optimum Finish Polish by hand though to remove oxidation from the black single stage paint roof rack in my truck. Menzerna IP failed at this task, it dried to quick and just didn't really do much. The Optimum Polish 2 and Finish Polish worked great and seam to have a forever work time ( by hand though, haven't tried with a PC yet). I did notice some color separation in the Finish polish bottle, so maybe you have to shake it well. Also, was the good hot from driving or running the car?

swanicyouth
04-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Sorry, meant "hood"

timaishu
04-28-2012, 05:54 PM
I ended up just using OPII with great results. On the next panel I will try the OFP again with your suggestions.

timaishu
04-28-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm no pro, but because I was so amazed with other Optimum products
(ONR, Spray Gloss, OptiCoat) I decided to buy all the liquid Optimum polishes for the next time I need them. Previously I was using Wolfgang Polishes (with great success) and Menzerna. I used the Optimum Finish Polish by hand though to remove oxidation from the black single stage paint roof rack in my truck. Menzerna IP failed at this task, it dried to quick and just didn't really do much. The Optimum Polish 2 and Finish Polish worked great and seam to have a forever work time ( by hand though, haven't tried with a PC yet). I did notice some color separation in the Finish polish bottle, so maybe you have to shake it well. Also, was the good hot from driving or running the car?

I bought mine a few weeks ago. So they are fairly new with no separation. The car was in the sun. But it was in my garage for around 45 minutes before I started polishing. So I am sure it was cool.

swanicyouth
04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Things I would try:
- mixing product well with a screwdriver, then shake
-polish in garage or in shade
-spray pad with a spritz of a QD if pad is new/dry(someone gave me this top on this forum and it really helped me)
-work at a slower speed on a smaller area

swanicyouth
04-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Not to hijack your thread, but my Optimum Finish Polish looks like this. Is this normal? Is this separation?
http://img.tapatalk.com/445449b6-8a6d-0a15.jpg

See the different colors of blue?? Anyone know what that is?

timaishu
04-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Mine is a solid blue. So I would guess separation.

How long have you had the bottle for?

swanicyouth
04-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Bought it at Detail Fest; 3/25/12.

Chris Thomas
04-29-2012, 08:35 AM
It settles when it sits. Just shake it up.

Sent from my IPhone

swanicyouth
04-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I've shaken it quite aggressively and it doesn't seem to change. Do you know what the dark blue is? Coloring ? I'm thinking when I'm shaking it the polish stuck to the bottle inside
surface doesn't move. I'm thinking this is probably normal as other polishes I've owned don't come in a clear bottle, so you couldn't notice. When I go to use it I'll stick something in it to mix it manually.