PDA

View Full Version : In need of some advice...

JorgeSFL
04-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Alright guys I currently have quite a bit of supplies which I believe is enough to help get more serious about detailing. I have a few waterless washes, compounds, polishes, wax, foam pads, rotary buffer, 5000w ac/dc converter with battery setup, electric pw, vacumn wet/dry, shampoos etc..

I have about 1k that i can spend, but I really want obviously spend it wisely.
Since I am by no means a professional detailer, I would like to become one soon. Im thinking about investing into the Mike Phillips boot camp which is 600. Any other ideas and/or suggestions?

dad07
04-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Alright guys I currently have quite a bit of supplies which I believe is enough to help get more serious about detailing. I have a few waterless washes, compounds, polishes, wax, foam pads, rotary buffer, 5000w ac/dc converter with battery setup, electric pw, vacumn wet/dry, shampoos etc..

I have about 1k that i can spend, but I really want obviously spend it wisely.
Since I am by no means a professional detailer, I would like to become one soon. Im thinking about investing into the Mike Phillips boot camp which is 600. Any other ideas and/or suggestions?

Learning from Mike would be the best $ spent IMO. :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
04-28-2012, 03:10 PM
In my opinion, learning how to do things right saves you a lot of time and expense. Get the basics down then practice those learning's and build on that knowledge base...:props:

JorgeSFL
04-28-2012, 05:40 PM
My main focus point is definitely learning the basics and building upon that. Boot camp is definitely I'm going to attend, whether it be this one or the next one. As of right now, I can take care of mild swirls and oxidized paint and other minor defects. I know for a fact I need to be more effective in cleaning interiors and glass, and learning some "real" paint correction, especially in embedded bird poo. I will not go into business if I am not great or at least real good at it.

Robert8194
04-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Boot Camp is well worth it, especially for beginners. You will cover a ton of material and get to use a lot of different products and equipment. You get hands on training from Mike and that is worth the $400 plus the $200 voucher for products. I went to the first Boot Camp in January and it was great. I highly recommend it. It is hard work but also lots of fun.

TimmyG
04-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Either pony up the cash for the detailing boot camp or try to start at an entry level detailing position. The problem with finding entry level detailing work is 80% of the "detailers" you run into are likely going to do hack job type of work. It may just be easier to spend the money to learn from one of the best in the business and learn with your ongoing detailing experiences.

rustytruck
04-28-2012, 08:21 PM
If you want to be a professional I'm assuming that means you want to do it as a business. Your going to burn thru more than your $1000 getting the business end of it going.

JorgeSFL
04-28-2012, 09:11 PM
If you want to be a professional I'm assuming that means you want to do it as a business. Your going to burn thru more than your $1000 getting the business end of it going.

I definitely understand under 1k is not really feasible. I do plan on investing more.

Just with the 1k I have now, I'd like to get an idea of what I should think of getting. Not looking to be prefessional right now, but gt more serious as a hobby and getting paid for it.