PDA

View Full Version : Hard water and UWW

Capa1970
04-28-2012, 09:38 AM
In Oklahome we have hard water. I recently bought Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate and was wondering if I should somehow treat the water prior to adding the UWW? If so, what is a cost effective way to do so?
I am almost out of my Griot's Spray on Car Wash and so bought the UWW to replace it---it is obviously more cost effective. I really like the Griot's cleaning ability and pop. UWW will have some big shoes to fill but, unlike Griot's Speed Shine, the Spray on Car Wash doesn't play well with Griot's clay. Does anyone know the ratios for UWW and a 35 oz bottle and a gallon?

wysiwyg
04-28-2012, 09:57 AM
In Oklahome we have hard water. I recently bought Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate and was wondering if I should somehow treat the water prior to adding the UWW? If so, what is a cost effective way to do so?
I am almost out of my Griot's Spray on Car Wash and so bought the UWW to replace it---it is obviously more cost effective. I really like the Griot's cleaning ability and pop. UWW will have some big shoes to fill but, unlike Griot's Speed Shine, the Spray on Car Wash doesn't play well with Griot's clay. Does anyone know the ratios for UWW and a 35 oz bottle and a gallon?

My area has hard water as well, and I use UWWP with tap water. I do not treat the water prior to using.

I have not had any issues with using UWWP. It works great especially with softening and removing bugs.

I know others use distilled water so you may consider it.

Capa1970
04-28-2012, 10:13 AM
I was wondering if hard tap water, because of its higher mineral count, would increase the chance of swirls. Would love to hear the opinions of those that use rinse less and waterless washes and live in areas with hard water.

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Those minerals are dissolved, they're not going contribute to swirls (unless they dry to water spots). It's possible you have particulate in your water (sand, grit, etc.) which of course could swirl. To be safe you can use distilled water, it's usually about $1-1.25 a gal in the grocery store.

wysiwyg
04-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Even factoring in the cost of distilled water, UWWP is still, by far, the most economical waterless wash.

If you decide to use distilled water, use 3oz of UWWP per gallon.

Capa1970
04-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. So, even though there may not be any negative side-effects using tap water that is hard, distilled water is so cheap that it is best to use it. I will invest in some distilled water. So 3 ounces of UWW per gallon. Wow, since I just do my cars, it may take me two years to go through it all---great bang for the buck!