PDA

View Full Version : Going to buy my first polisher (GG 6) need pad suggestions

bigjoe87865
04-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi guys, I am a first time detailer.. I detailed my car once by hand using meguiar products and it took me the entire day and resulted in a sore body.

So after much researching I have decided on a griot garage 6 DA buffer. Im not too sure on what pads to get. I hear many suggestions from the threads I have read.

I think these are what I have narrowed it down to

1) the bundle kit on AG for a GG6 + CCS pads Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher & Pad Kit, Griot's Garage Random Orbital Machine, orbital polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/random-orbital-polisher-kit.html)
2) Meg MF kit , or standalone MF pads, (I dont need the chemicals, have plenty)
3) Others that you guys suggest

Im really not sure what to get, or even how many to order... How long do they last?... I read that they are reusable and that after after a couple uses, they should be tossed.

then comes the question of what size pads... there are too many combinations... from my understanding, these are 6" buffers that can accept as low as 4" pads right for use on bumpers? And that 5.5" should be best combo because 6 might bog the machine down?

Would I be better off sticking with 5.5 pads and skip 4" pads and purchase a 3" GG buffer as well for tighter spots?

The products that I have already are Megs Ultimate compound, Megs Ultimate polish, Megs nxt tech 2.0 liquid.

I not a business, just need these for personal use
cars 2003 5 series, 2007 lexus RX, 2006 corolla

just a little confused on all the different combinations
thank you guys

EPA7
04-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi guys, I am a first time detailer.. I detailed my car once by hand using meguiar products and it took me the entire day and resulted in a sore body.

So after much researching I have decided on a griot garage 6 DA buffer. Im not too sure on what pads to get. I hear many suggestions from the threads I have read.

I think these are what I have narrowed it down to

1) the bundle kit on AG for a GG6 + CCS pads Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher & Pad Kit, Griot's Garage Random Orbital Machine, orbital polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/random-orbital-polisher-kit.html)
2) Meg MF kit , or standalone MF pads, (I dont need the chemicals, have plenty)
3) Others that you guys suggest

Im really not sure what to get, or even how many to order... How long do they last?... I read that they are reusable and that after after a couple uses, they should be tossed.

then comes the question of what size pads... there are too many combinations... from my understanding, these are 6" buffers that can accept as low as 4" pads right for use on bumpers? And that 5.5" should be best combo because 6 might bog the machine down?

Would I be better off sticking with 5.5 pads and skip 4" pads and purchase a 3" GG buffer as well for tighter spots?

The products that I have already are Megs Ultimate compound, Megs Ultimate polish, Megs nxt tech 2.0 liquid.

I not a business, just need these for personal use
cars 2003 5 series, 2007 lexus RX, 2006 corolla

just a little confused on all the different combinations
thank you guys
I was in the same position as you about 4 weeks ago. Now that I have all this experience, I'll gladly share it with you;)

I started with the Griot's kit and ordered 3 additional orange pads. The kit comes with Machine Polish 3 and Best of Show wax, and I added a bottle of Paint Sealant.

After 2 long days detailing our two cars (arms and body still hurt, even with a DA!), I'm pretty happy with the results. Both cars look MUCH better than before, although I really needed a bit more cut on my black Jag, as it still has some swirls.

I didn't end up swapping pads, but instead used a stiff nylon brush I had lying around to clean the compound off the orange pad. One thing I noticed about the GG orange pads was that the compound would saturate the pad center (maybe a good thing?) while the outer inch of the pad would be pretty dry. Again, I was very pleased with the results given it was my first attempt.

All in all a good starter kit. I plan on picking up the Meg's MF cutting pad and compound based on recommendations here and other places. From the descriptions it should be what I need to take care of the swirls on the Jag.

ScubaCougr
04-28-2012, 10:31 AM
If you go with the kit, definitely add a couple orange CCS or blue Hydrotech pads (6") like the suggestion above.

Be sure to price the polisher alone, with a 5" backplate and the BOGO pads. 2-3 cyan, 2-3 tangerine, 1 red for the final polish and you should be all set, possibly cheaper than the set.

storm100
04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I would go with 1-yellow, 2- orange, 1-green, 1-white, and 1-red. That's only if the MF system wasn't available. If you can, go with the Megs MF system.

storm100
04-28-2012, 11:57 AM
I would go with 1-yellow, 2- orange, 1-green, 1-white, and 1-red. That's only if the MF system wasn't available. If you can, go with the Megs MF system.

I've used the MF pads on 20 vehicles so far without fail. Some people here have experienced pad separation, but AG has been there to take care of the issues. Those are few and far between though. I have a back up set just in case.

bigjoe87865
04-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Hey guys, read the suggestions.... the only progress I made in my decision process is to not buy the GG with the kit that is on AG.

Still not sure on pads, especially now reading a couple threads about 5" plate with 5.5" pads. Should I not bother at all with my 6" plate and 6.5 pads?

also if I am understanding this 3.5" plate = 4" pads , 5" plate = 5.5" pads , 6" plate = 6.5 pads right? I didnt see 5.5" MEGS MF pads also.

---

As far as microfiber pads go, do I need to buy $75 meg system?... or will standalone pads be fine?... reason being, I dont feel like adding more chemicals to what I already have and confusing myself further... I was really planning on using meguiars Ultimate compound, polish , tech 2.0 because I am comfortable with it.

mjlinane
04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
A GG6 comes with a 6" BP and has plenty of power to spin a 6" pad on 4 - assuming you keep it (rather) flat.

A Megs 5" MF pad works on a 5" BP.

Never have used D300/D301 myself. Have used M105 and a variety of other polishes with them. (Read D300 is quite good, though.) Megs UC & UP should work fine (haven't used them).

Depending on the color, will likely want a foam finishing pad.

bigjoe87865
04-30-2012, 09:50 PM
If you go with the kit, definitely add a couple orange CCS or blue Hydrotech pads (6") like the suggestion above.

Be sure to price the polisher alone, with a 5" backplate and the BOGO pads. 2-3 cyan, 2-3 tangerine, 1 red for the final polish and you should be all set, possibly cheaper than the set.

Is this the bogo one you were talking about?
Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5.5 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, hydrotech foam buffing pads, Lake Country dual action foam pads (http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-da-pads-3pack.html)

are these known as the "flat" pads? If I only need one red, which color should I get 3 for?.. the tangerine or the cyan?

btw, cyan isnt available in the drop down menus, Im assuming it is an error on the site so Ill call to confirm.