PDA

View Full Version : Black Light + LC pad+ Flex 3401

BuckeyeR/T
04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
I have a question:
I would like to try CG Black Light on my relatively new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The finish has zero swirls (I have never polished it) and I clayed it and applied #915 Collinite in late October. I have ordered the BL and have a ton of LC pads of all colors and the Flex. How do you apply it with a Flex? Slowly? 50% overlap? What speed?
I am assuming I want to use a finishing pad?
I will probably put P21S as a topper(a few times over the course of the summer) for the summer then in October go with BL then #915.
Thoughts?
Thank you as always for the help!

Porsche Pilot
04-27-2012, 08:26 AM
For a fairly pristine finish, I use it on the Flex 3401 with a black pad at speed 4. The Blacklight will not break down like a traditional polish. It keeps going and going. I massage into the paint for several passes and then let it set up for about 15 minutes before I wipe down.

BuckeyeR/T
04-27-2012, 08:28 AM
For a fairly pristine finish, I use it on the Flex 3401 with a black pad at speed 4. The Blacklight will not break down like a traditional polish. It keeps going and going. I massage into the paint for several passes and then let it set up for about 15 minutes before I wipe down.

Like a 2X2 area Ed?

embolism
04-27-2012, 08:48 AM
be very careful around the trim with blacklight. BL has cleaners in it that will stain trim and there is a lot of it on the Cherokee.

My buddy and I did his 2011 and you could see where ever we hit the trim especially around the wheel wells. Comes off no problem with some OPC and a soft brush but he drove around with it for a while before he could come back to get rid of it.

BuckeyeR/T
04-27-2012, 08:49 AM
be very careful around the trim with blacklight. BL has cleaners in it that will stain trim and there is a lot of it on the Cherokee.

My buddy and I did his 2011 and you could see where ever we hit the trim especially around the wheel wells. Comes off no problem with some OPC and a soft brush but he drove around with it for a while before he could come back to get rid of it.

I will tape the trim for sure before I get started.

Porsche Pilot
04-27-2012, 08:49 AM
I usually cover a panel at a time, ie, door, or fender, half of roof, etc. I just work it in and ensure full coverage. The working time of BL is crazy and is also good as a one stepper for very light marring.

BuckeyeR/T
04-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Is a Tangerine Hydro-Tech pad too strong? I have used them with Meg's 205 before with great results...

Porsche Pilot
04-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Is a Tangerine Hydro-Tech pad too strong? I have used them with Meg's 205 before with great results...

You should be fine with that but I would do a small test spot to see if the pad was too aggressive and to make sure it was leaving behind some tick marks.

brlukosk
04-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Is PO85RD polish finer than what is in black light? I'd hate to jewel the finish with menzerna and then use black light on top and hinder the results.