PDA

View Full Version : Please be careful with photos....

Pages : [1] 2 3

RChicago
04-27-2012, 07:09 AM
I guess this is coming from me being a police officer and paranoid. But I ask, and I will explain, to please be careful when posting photos of cars.

A cars license plate has a lot of information attached to it. In Indiana I can get Address, Soc Number, Driver license number, How many vehicle are licensed to that person etc. Yes all from a simple license plate.

Please when posting photos erase, blur out, smudge, or find a way to remove the license plate from the photos.

There is a thread on here that has a detail of a NHL players AMG and the license is clear as a bell. If I were a dishonest person, I would possible have the players address and other personal information. With what is avialable of the internet, easy to do.

Sorry, just my rant as a 5-0 person

Tom

megacabcummins
04-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Oh dang I was going to post the exact same thing...

vet
04-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Sounds like good advice.

LuxuryMobile
04-27-2012, 07:25 AM
I always try to get rid of license plates pictures.

I would never include a celebrities name and license plate and car attached. Or anyone's name for that matter.

But very good advice. Another reason it is good practice to remove the license plates when doing paint corrections. You can clean behind that area and take pictures after without any worries.

swanicyouth
04-27-2012, 07:25 AM
What's the difference between me seeing a picture of a car license plate online or me seeing it hundreds of times a day on the road? I never understood why it's so important to blur out your plates when posting an online pic, when hundreds of people see it daily on the road. Can someone explain???

BillE
04-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Thank you Officer.

Too bad we need this advice, but better to be safe than sorry.

Bill

EVIL R/T
04-27-2012, 07:27 AM
totally agree, Swan. i'm still trying to understand how one can obtain a ss# by a plate lol

RChicago
04-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Yes, hundreds see it on the road daily but on the Internet, thousands to hundreds of thousands can see it. Especially with a possible google search if the bot has crawled the site.

On the road, you may not know who it is but in a post, it was described who owned the car.

This is a high dollar car and there are bad people out the who could be putting a "shopping" list together on what new car they want.

Again just my two cents

Tq

A1MobileDetailing
04-27-2012, 07:32 AM
I notice that a lot on here to. Some other car forums I'm on everyone makes sure you can't read their license plates. Also something to be careful about (I think everyone does this) is when posting unboxing pictures, and you take a picture of your order receipt, make sure and cover up your personal information. Thanks for bringing this up.

RChicago
04-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Evil, in Indiana plate can be reversed looked up by soc number. Therefore when I run your plate (if you lived in Indiana) I can get a photo and your social number.

I know other states that do it too.

A1MobileDetailing
04-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Another reason is that its just not a good business practice. If you took your car to be detailed, would you want pictures of it with your license plate posted on the internet?

Mike Phillips
04-27-2012, 08:25 AM
I guess this is coming from me being a police officer and paranoid. But I ask, and I will explain, to please be careful when posting photos of cars.

Please when posting photos erase, blur out, smudge, or find a way to remove the license plate from the photos.

Sorry, just my rant as a 5-0 person

Tom

Thanks for ranting Tom...

Since you've joined our forum you've been a great forum member and this post is well-received.

I'll be the first to admit I've always been way too trusting and to relaxed on blocking out license plates on our project cars. From this day forward we're going to implement a new license plate policy for all our projects including the Valiant pictures I'm working on right now.

Thank you.

p.s.

My dad is retired State Police - Oregon

:)

HawklessDetail
04-27-2012, 08:35 AM
So very true I always keep the plate number out... With the crazy world we live in who knows what one would do with that info

Bamaboy007
04-27-2012, 08:42 AM
yeah my tag is exposed everyday while I drive, so I'm not concerned with posting pics of it...this is an old wives tale that is so overplayed

richy
04-27-2012, 08:49 AM
I agree totally with this thread. It's repectful to the customers for starters and a safety concern as well. I don't buy the argument that the plate is seen driving around. There are some sick people out there and we don't need to give them any ammunition. If you're using Photobucket to upload them, they have very easy to use software to blur the plate. If an old dinosaur like me can do it, anyone can!!