PDA

View Full Version : Do UV blocking products condone mold growth?

robovalzuniga
04-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Just a simple question, I see all these products that are supposed to block UV light, waxes, QD sprays, headlight protectors. However isn't it true that if we use all these products, and if we are to assume that they are indeed blocking large amounts of UV light, doesn't this mean that we're more likely to have mold grow all over our cars?

:confused:

shoeless89
04-27-2012, 12:01 AM
I would say no. If so no one would wax or seal their cars.

robovalzuniga
04-27-2012, 12:06 AM
I would say no. If so no one would wax or seal their cars.

OR maybe the products aren't blocking as much UV light as we think?

shoeless89
04-27-2012, 12:13 AM
OR maybe the products aren't blocking as much UV light as we think?

Well since the wax or sealant is on the paint the mold would have to grow on the wax or sealant. And they don't block UV rays BEFORE they hit surface. Also maybe the surface of the wax or sealant is actually hindering the growth of mold just a thought.

FUNX650
04-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Just a simple question, I see all these products that are supposed to block UV light, waxes, QD sprays, headlight protectors. However isn't it true that if we use all these products, and if we are to assume that they are indeed blocking large amounts of UV light, doesn't this mean that we're more likely to have mold grow all over our cars?

1.) What is mold and mildew?
2.) If one believes that they are fungi, then what are some of the processes for their remediation?

-I will proffer the following for your consideration:

1.) Mold/Mildew:
a. I agree that they are fungi---a living organism.
b. They are caused by a "solution" of water/moisture and contaminates, including 'dirt'.
c. This "solution" is a requirement for mold/mildew to feed on, and continue its growth/spread.
d. If this contamination is not removed it will surely alter, damage, and even destroy a surface's make-up.

2.) Since I believe that mold/mildew are indeed living organisms...To eliminate them I feel you've got to kill them! (Or, at the very least, neutralize them.)
a. 'Regular' soaps/shampoos used in a cleaning/scrubbing process normally will not facilitate removal/neutralization.
b. Fungicides are one of the 'tickets' for their removal/neutralization.
c. Elimination of moisture/contaminates is an effective means to discourage mold/mildew re-occurrence; and to neutralize existing growth.
d. Sunlight, and its accompanying UV rays, has been proven, and is arguably the most powerful natural weapon against mold and mildew.

I conclude, then:

A.) Most vehicle car-care protection products, some which you have listed, will impart, to a certain degree, beading or sheeting of 'moisture'. Some may well indeed contain UV blockers/absorbers...(But wouldn't/aren't these added UV-characteristics intended to further provide assistance to the top-coat paint film's (CC's) already built-in "UV-protectors" for the underlying B/C?)
1. This moisture will accumalate contaminates...The length of time this moisture/contaminates solution remains on a vehicle's surfaces, the more likely the opportunity for mold/mildew occurrences, as it were.
2. Besides thinking of alteration, damage, and even destruction of a vehicle's surface materials by mold/mildew growth...Ridding a vehicle of moisture/contaminates as soon, or as often as possible, will allow "protection products" to perform up to their best potential.
3.The Sun's UV rays will do the mold/mildew killing, if need be, then, for exposed vehicle surfaces...One must diligently seek out mold/mildew's 'growth-areas', and eliminate their feeding grounds.

To simply answer your question, though:
No...IMHO

-Hope my $.05 & 1/2 helps in some small way.

:)

Bob

CEE DOG
04-27-2012, 08:18 AM
I agree, no concern here. The sealant is bonded to the paint and the fungi can probably not get in between it. I've never seen any fungi on my car :)

robovalzuniga
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all your input guys, just something I was wondering about.

:goodpost:

Bates Detailing
04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
1.) What is mold and mildew?
2.) If one believes that they are fungi, then what are some of the processes for their remediation?

-I will proffer the following for your consideration:

1.) Mold/Mildew:
a. I agree that they are fungi---a living organism.
b. They are caused by a "solution" of water/moisture and contaminates, including 'dirt'.
c. This "solution" is a requirement for mold/mildew to feed on, and continue its growth/spread.
d. If this contamination is not removed it will surely alter, damage, and even destroy a surface's make-up.

2.) Since I believe that mold/mildew are indeed living organisms...To eliminate them I feel you've got to kill them! (Or, at the very least, neutralize them.)
a. 'Regular' soaps/shampoos used in a cleaning/scrubbing process normally will not facilitate removal/neutralization.
b. Fungicides are one of the 'tickets' for their removal/neutralization.
c. Elimination of moisture/contaminates is an effective means to discourage mold/mildew re-occurrence; and to neutralize existing growth.
d. Sunlight, and its accompanying UV rays, has been proven, and is arguably the most powerful natural weapon against mold and mildew.

I conclude, then:

A.) Most vehicle car-care protection products, some which you have listed, will impart, to a certain degree, beading or sheeting of 'moisture'. Some may well indeed contain UV blockers/absorbers...(But wouldn't/aren't these added UV-characteristics intended to further provide assistance to the top-coat paint film's (CC's) already built-in "UV-protectors" for the underlying B/C?)
1. This moisture will accumalate contaminates...The length of time this moisture/contaminates solution remains on a vehicle's surfaces, the more likely the opportunity for mold/mildew occurrences, as it were.
2. Besides thinking of alteration, damage, and even destruction of a vehicle's surface materials by mold/mildew growth...Ridding a vehicle of moisture/contaminates as soon, or as often as possible, will allow "protection products" to perform up to their best potential.
3.The Sun's UV rays will do the mold/mildew killing, if need be, then, for exposed vehicle surfaces...One must diligently seek out mold/mildew's 'growth-areas', and eliminate their feeding grounds.

To simply answer your question, though:
No...IMHO

-Hope my $.05 & 1/2 helps in some small way.

:)

Bob

I just read all that and am pretty sure that I am now a mold/mildew expert.... thanx Bob lol.

Mobile detail
04-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Why did the princess go out with the mushroom? She thought he was a fungi ! Hagaha get it, fun guy but it's really a fungi cause its a mushroom. That's a little Mario brothers humor for ya.

ray6
07-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Probly not because mold is a living thing and must have something to feed on. I can't imagine a headlight being so coated there's actually dinner on it. Just my guess.
ray6

:confused:[/QUOTE]