PDA

View Full Version : Help This new detailer needs help polishing His Truck

Alex22
04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Hello, Im Alex(New to detailing) and its been about about a year and a half closer to two and I have rerely washed my truck by hand and mostly used thoes drive through washes not noticing the damage it was doing to my trucks paint. So far i have detailed the enginge looking great and the tires and wheels and interior looking ok not perfect but ok. Now I am stuck in the detailing of the exterior which i want not ok but perfect. I am going to wash it with two bucket technique and good car soap dry it with a waffle weave and I am going to clay it with Meguiar's clay kit. Now the next step im stuck in is the polishing:buffing:, I unknowingly bought meguiars ultimate polish not knowing it was a finishing polish and my overall question whould be should I buy something like ultimate compund? Or give it a go with the UP? I initialy was going to do it by hand but upon reading on some of the forums its been bothering me to the point of buying a DA polisher (Porter Cable 7424xp). The thing is I dont know if this is something that will not harm the paint and how offten i should do it. The truck has swirl, spider web marks all over the truck and has some mild scratches. Is it to early to detail? Thank-You so much in advanced im a complete Idiot at times and I completely respect this comunnity and wish im not making a fool of myself.

shoeless89
04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
:welcome: to AGO!

First off I would NOT attempt this by hand. You arms will fall off lol I've been using my PC 7424XP for 2 1/2 years now and it hasen't let me down. Most American cars have pretty hard paint where as most Asian cars have softer paint. This is just a generalization not a rule. Ultimate Polish probably won't give you the results your looking for. I've had great results in the past with Ultimate Compound in the past. I would start off with UC and determine if your getting the results your looking for. Or you could order some other compounds and polishes when you order your PC. :buffing:

Alex22
04-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Alright so I found the pc new for $106 and ill be ordering it soon. I read the part of your hands falling off in other post and on Mikes man vs machine, so thats done. Um im still not convinced about Ultimate Compound this will not harm the paint or thin it out too much? I read in another post that I should use uc and follow with up for deeper color. The thing is so far I have not come across a post that has UC a car of 1 1/2 old.

tommythecat
04-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Alright so I found the pc new for $106 and ill be ordering it soon. I read the part of your hands falling off in other post and on Mikes man vs machine, so thats done. Um im still not convinced about Ultimate Compound this will not harm the paint or thin it out too much? I read in another post that I should use uc and follow with up for deeper color. The thing is so far I have not come across a post that has UC a car of 1 1/2 old.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/49133-detailed-my-daily-driver-my-first-ever-detail.html

This post is about detailing a 4-month old car using Meg's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Have no fear... :xyxthumbs:

shoeless89
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM

I understand your fear. I had the same thing when I started but were not compounding through the paint at a fast rate. The PC makes it almost impossible to hurt your cars finish. No matter what polish or compound your using your thin your pain out to much with a PC.

megacabcummins
04-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I am going to be doing the same thing here shortly, I have already clayed my truck before, twice actually but this time it will be how Mike does it, not the way I was shown.... Then I will get to bust out my new PCX... Post pix of your progress, I will do the do the same, I'd like to see how other guys work on their trucks....(I just spent 4 hours on my wheels... argh)

Alex22
04-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Alright I Just Purchased the UC follow it up with UP to remove any hazing that might happen, now what sealant should I buy. I had my eyes on Ultimate Liquid Wax, Does it do a nice work and last or should I consider and alternative?