PDA

View Full Version : Use for Mineral Spirits,IPA, thinner?

Detailchick
04-26-2012, 08:21 PM
In detailing what do you use mineral spirits, Isopropyl alcohol, paint thinner (or is it laquer thinner?? hmm) for? does anybody use acetone for anything? oh How and which one you use would be helpfull too :) - Thanks in advance guys

poko
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I used denatured alcohol and isopropyl alcohol (70%) to clean a brake caliper as a preparation for paint. It seemed IPA worked better. From what i have leaned, mineral spirits, paint thinner, and lacquer thinner are almost same in chemical. If I am correct you can use IPA for clean a painted surface and I will never use other thinner on paint surface.

shoeless89
04-27-2012, 12:04 AM
In detailing what do you use mineral spirits, Isopropyl alcohol, paint thinner (or is it laquer thinner?? hmm) for? does anybody use acetone for anything? oh How and which one you use would be helpfull too :) - Thanks in advance guys

I use mineral spirits when I mix it with spar urethane for headlight protection after correction. I used IPA for checking my progress during a correction but now I almost always use CarPro Eraser. I personally don't use paint thinner for anything but I know some people have used it to help remove sap where all other methods have failed.

oldmodman
04-27-2012, 01:48 AM

Stay away from lacquer thinner. It has the ability to dissolve some paints. So does acetone to an even greater degree.

I personally use mineral spirits to remove every trace of product before waxing or whatever end product you may be using. It allows you to check your work to be able to see the tiniest marring in the finish.
I prefer mineral spirits because I have had streaking with isopropyl alcohol.

brlukosk
04-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Do you guys dilute IPA at all? I've been using it diluted 1:1 with water. 70% IPA anyway. Still seems to work well for checking progress.

tomsteve
04-27-2012, 09:39 AM
. From what i have leaned, mineral spirits, paint thinner, and lacquer thinner are almost same in chemical.

mineral spirits and paint thinner are commony called the same. i have a gallon of paint thinner in my shop and it says" made with mineral spirits. they are a combination of aliphatic and alicitc hydrocarbons.
lacquer thinner on the other hand is a LOT stronger and the main ingredients are toluene,xylene, and methyl ethyl ketone.
mineral spirits doesnt do much when i clean my spray guns after shooting bc/cc, but lacquer thinner cleans em right up without much effort.

lacquer thinner( flash point of about 71) is a lot more volatile than mineral spirits( flash point about 104).

shoeless89
04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Do you guys dilute IPA at all? I've been using it diluted 1:1 with water. 70% IPA anyway. Still seems to work well for checking progress.

YES! You want to use IPA thats diluted to roughly 10%. I use mine at about 11.375% anything higher can really start to effect the paint.

Check this out
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html

brlukosk
04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I'm glad I diluted it. I'll probably dilute even further in the future.

YES! You want to use IPA thats diluted to roughly 10%. I use mine at about 11.375% anything higher can really start to effect the paint.

Check this out
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html

shoeless89
04-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I'm glad I diluted it. I'll probably dilute even further in the future.

No problem :)

BobbyG
04-27-2012, 12:08 PM

You ask "in detailing", what specifically are you interested in?

Every chemical you've listed can be used however none are general purpose products anbd need to target specific problems...

General Purpose

Mineral Spirits - Yes
Isopropyl alcohol - Yes
Lacquer Thinner - No
Acetone - No

Detailchick
04-27-2012, 01:37 PM
You ask "in detailing", what specifically are you interested in?

Every chemical you've listed can be used however none are general purpose products anbd need to target specific problems...

General Purpose

Mineral Spirits - Yes
Isopropyl alcohol - Yes
Lacquer Thinner - No
Acetone - No

I was just trying to be specific, save somebody from writing that they use IPA for bug bites or acetone as nail polish remover lol

ray6
07-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I use mineral spirits when I mix it with spar urethane for headlight protection after correction. I used IPA for checking my progress during a correction but now I almost always use CarPro Eraser. I personally don't use paint thinner for anything but I know some people have used it to help remove sap where all other methods have failed.

Paint thinner and mineral spirits are really the same thing. They are derived from steaming coal (thus mineral spirits). Oderless mineral spirits are really a higher purity mineral spirits which the sulpher and other stinky stuff has been distilled out.

Laquer thinner is something completely different and nor made from coal. It is also highly flammable and volatile. Can't think of any use with regard to auto detailing or headlight restoration.

Alcohol is used to clean headlights just prior to applying the new coating. The higher the content, the better. It is hygroscopic meaning it attracts moisture like a magnet. Denatured alcohol is alcohol with added junk so you can't drink it. Performs the same, but doesn't qualify as a liquor and require liquor tax.
ray6

CEE DOG
07-27-2012, 09:07 PM
IPA 50% for final wipe of trim before applying trim coatings or SF restore.
CP Eraser for inspection of surface during polish and ESPECIALLY for removing polishing oils before applying a coating.