PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried CG Lava wax?

Pages : [1] 2

Mc'lovin
04-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone tried Chemical Guys Lava wax or know someone who used it and can share some information about it?

I am thinking about trying it, although am debating because of the price tag..

Thank you!

HellDemon
04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Most people who have tried it don't really like it; all past lava posts on this board have been about trading it for something else haha.

I actually REALLY wanted it before, and was on the fence for like, a whole month after it came out, and literally almost pressed the add to cart button when it was 25% off (on a canadian website), but I didn't since it's pretty expensive for a wax that I know probably wouldn't make me happy.

I did see this post before though, there was a test panel done between like, 5 different waxes, and lava actually brightened the panel. DEFINITELY not something I'm looking for on a white car (I'd rather have it darker to give more depth), but if you like that kind of look, then by all means go for it

wgilles
04-26-2012, 01:03 PM
I've heard it is very difficult to work with and if you don't follow CG's instructions to the T...it doesn't work well.

alko
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
this dude's forum name is awesome LMAO!!!

I've heard it was a PITA to work with because of how soft it is.

Mc'lovin
04-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone,
I was really trying to get positive feedbacks on this one and they were quite scarce. If the price was lower I would give it a try, but ~70$ is a little too much.

Thanks again.. any other quality wax you would recommend in this price range?

SON1C
04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
ive only heard great things about it and I will have some, one day.

CaneCharger
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
I've heard it is very difficult to work with and if you don't follow CG's instructions to the T...it doesn't work well.

:iagree:

arack
04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
It is overrated. My brother bought it and was severely disappointed.

HellDemon
04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Well you can always go for the dodo's in that price range, or pinnacle signature series 2.

Personally I'd go for the dodo; the purple haze + blue velvet combo is awesome, especially on white, gives phenomenol depth that no other wax has given (possibly because the colour of the wax, if you layer enough, will eventually lightly tint the shade of your car; google dodo colour charging and you'll see their test).

rwright
04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Look at all the posts of people reporting what they've heard instead of what they've experienced. :laughing:

john b
04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
i have it and like it but so far i have not figured out the best way to apply it.chemical guys has it listed in there glaze department for some reason.have tried it over there glazes and black light but i did put it over a coat of black fire sealant on a light colored beige Toyota and i was impressed.but over a glaze or black light it was hard to tell.

Dr Oldz
04-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Apply super thin with a DA and let it sit 20-40 min b4 removal. I like it and it is still going strong. Got it when it was first released so right now, it's durability is at least 3 months for me. Unique look to it, unique consistency and it sheets water really nice. Thus far, I like it.

shoeless89
04-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Pretty much no matter what the reviews I'll be trying it. Just haven't had the chance yet. Thanks for posting this question!

silverfox
04-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Again, products like this depend on two things for best results...foundation underneath and "less is more".

You don't apply this by hand because it's unforgiving if applying too much and no matter how thin you think you are putting it on by hand, a DA polisher is a must. Best applied on top of other CG products especially Blacklight.

shoeless89
07-11-2012, 12:35 PM
**UPDATE** I used Lava for the first time a couple weeks ago. Durability is decent, gives a pretty warm look to my dark red car, and thin is a must. Its not hard to remove if you put it on thick, it just doesn't look as good IMO.