PDA

View Full Version : Newbee detailer question...

djseto
04-26-2012, 11:48 AM
I am about to order a bunch of stuff for my first serious detail and I wanted to make sure I am doing things in the right order. I've watched some of the videos and I just got access to the forum, but want to place an order ASAP so forgive me if some of this info is spread out around this forum.

I've got a 2011 Black Infiniti EX35. It's garaged at home but I do spend quite a lot of time on the road. It's regularly washed and spray waxed so the paint is in good shape (and the car is only 8 months old). It's got some minor swirls and some chips/road rash. I'm holding off on fixing the swirls for now, but I'd like to do everything listed below in one day (if possible). Here's what I plan to do and what I plan to use:

1. Wash and Dry -- I have some Turtlewax ICE carwash that I'd like to use up before I order new stuff. I still have 3/4 of a bottle left so I can't just throw it away for better stuff on Autogeek...that just seems wasteful. I am ordering a California Jelly Water Blade for drying along with micro fiber cloths which I already have.

2. Clay Bar with Pinacle Ultra Poly -- my car has never been clayed before so this is new to me but I suspect it probably needs it.

3. Dr. Colorchip -- fill in chips, minor scratches, and road rash. Seems pretty straight forward from the videos

4. Paint Sealant with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant -- I've always used Turtlewax ICE Spray wax, but this seems like a much better product that will also last longer. My concern here is if I can apply paint sealant after the Dr. Colorchip. Their directions say to wait a week before waxing, but I don't know if that also applies to sealant. I have an email out to them on this, but I'd appreciate any feedback

The goal is to get my car into shape so I can use Meguiars Wash and Wax Anywhere and only really deep wash once a month or so.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
4. Paint Sealant with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant -- I've always used Turtlewax ICE Spray wax, but this seems like a much better product that will also last longer.

My concern here is if I can apply paint sealant after the Dr. Colorchip.

Their directions say to wait a week before waxing, but I don't know if that also applies to sealant. I have an email out to them on this, but I'd appreciate any feedback

"Car Waxes" and "Paint Sealants" are in the same category as it relates to the type of products they are and that is "Protectants". In other words they both "protect" the paint.

What Dr. Color Chip doesn't want you or anyone to do is to rub some kind of liquid with some level of oils, polymers, solvents, etc over the freshly applied paint because it could loosen and remove the touch-up paint and then you would have to start over.

You also wouldn't apply a compound or a polish to fresh touch-up paint for the same reason. You want the touch up paint to dry hard as nails before you start rubbing on it with any liquid paint care product.

The goal is to get my car into shape so I can use Meguiars Wash and Wax Anywhere and only really deep wash once a month or so.

Thanks!

Good product, I demonstrated this new product on our TV show...

What's in Autogeek's Garage - Episode 4 - Season 2

What's in Autogeek's Garage - Episode 4 - Season...

:)

Mike Phillips
04-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Also, welcome to the #1 auto detailing forum on the Internet, you'll like this place friendly people and "friendly and helpful" answers.

:welcome:

djseto
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. This SITE is awesome. I was referred here by a coworker. I love all the videos and how-to's. My wallet however does not like this place ;-)

Mike Phillips
04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the reply. This SITE is awesome. I was referred here by a coworker. I love all the videos and how-to's.

My wallet however does not like this place ;-)

Sorry about that last point...

:xyxthumbs:

djseto
04-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Also,
Since it looks like I need to wait a week before applying the sealant, should I bypass the Clay bar and wait for that as well? In other words:

Day 1: Wash & Dry, Dr. Colorchip

Day 7: Wash & Dry, Clay, Seal, Wax

I guess I'm concerned that if I clay before doing the Dr. Colorchip, I'm going just have to re-clay since I'll be going a week without any sealant or wax on the newly clayed surface.

Thanks

walletless
04-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Also,
Since it looks like I need to wait a week before applying the sealant, should I bypass the Clay bar and wait for that as well? In other words:

Day 1: Wash & Dry, Dr. Colorchip

Day 7: Wash & Dry, Clay, Seal, Wax

I guess I'm concerned that if I clay before doing the Dr. Colorchip, I'm going just have to re-clay since I'll be going a week without any sealant or wax on the newly clayed surface.

Thanks
1 week only? I thought it is recommended to not apply wax or sealants to fresh paint for 90 days..

walletless
04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Also, welcome to the #1 auto detailing forum on the Internet, you'll like this place friendly people and "friendly and helpful" answers.

:welcome:

+1 you'll love that place. I just completed a full first detail of my car with help and pointers from Mike Phillips amazing collection of articles and videos.. and by asking questions on the forum. Lots of helpful members here.

Expensive - yes, if you don't do this regularly. Considering that most waxes will last you several years if you use them twice a year.. I would not really call it very expensive though.. not cheap, but not too expensive either. Just stick to the absolute necessary things, and you'll be fine (unless you are going for a flawless show care finish, ofcourse).

djseto
04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
1 week only? I thought it is recommended to not apply wax or sealants to fresh paint for 90 days..

According to the directions on the Dr. Colorchip page on Autogeek, it says wax after 1 week but avoid machine polishing for 30 days. I haven't bought any power tools, so I'd be doing the sealant by hand. Waxing would probably be a spray wax since the sealant will do the brunt of the work.