PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Seal Vs DG 105/601

duck_commander
04-26-2012, 10:57 AM
So after a few years of reading threads on this forum, it's my understanding that sealants are more durable than waxes...

I've been reading where a lot of people are saying O-S will last 4-6 months... If that's the case, DG 105/601 (which, from the product description on AG is a synthetic wax) will last longer than O-S...

I've bought Optimum GPS and Opti-Seal to use on family vehicles i detail, and was considering trying O-S on my truck this weekend, instead of 105/601, but if everyone is seeing only 4-6 months of protection out of O-S, it's not worth it in my situation...

Can anyone comment on the longevity of O-S?

Hoytman
04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I have a bottle of the last version of opti-seal. I sealed (after clay) 3 auto's with it last October, towards the end of the month. I sealed one car twice. I can say that it wasn't as grabby on the second application. The application on the second go around was silky smooth, unlike the first. However, by the time Febuary rolled around all signs of beading was gone.

I have to admit I wasn't impressed, but I'm not giving up on it yet either because...

...like I said, the temps were "iffy". We also use a lot of salt on our roads here, but the winter was super mild here. I will say that what beading I did see early on was tight and very impressive. These auto's belong to my in-laws, and they didn't wash them after I detailed them. So, lots of factors may have went into the loss of durability.

They've since released a new version of opti-seal...and I haven't even begun to dwindle my supply. I have at least 9/10ths of a bottle left.

Hoytman
04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
I just got of the phone with the owner of one of cars I done. The owner and I had similar thoughts. About 4 months tops, given detaling them at the on-set of winter. That's road salt, few washes (none by me anyway) and the washes he did give the car was at nice drive through carwash...no touch. Still, I'm certain harsh carwash soap is used at these places.

So it's likely, given regular low ph carwashes and spring weather, that you "might" get 6 months out of it. I'd say that's pushing though. Keep in mind my only experience with this product is 3 uses. So, take that for what's it's worth.

EDIT:
With a spray on walk away product like this, and being spring time, doing regular washing and such, it's certainly easy enough to just seal it again after washing. It only take about 10-15 minutes to apply. That's just too easy and I like that.

duck_commander
04-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks Hoyt... The DOT does not like vehicle paint in SWPA either... Most days, when we got snow this winter, the 4 lane highways were white, instead of the blacktop color!!!

My DG products are going on it's 8th month of protection and it's still beading, not like it did when it's fresh, on my truck! Just can't see myself getting away from this wax...

Although, i'm thinking of doing one door panel in O-S and then one week later, topping that door with the 105/601 combo to see what that does.

duck_commander
04-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Bill - you make a good poing with your second post... One month from now, i could very easily throw another coating or two of O-S on my truck, after a good washing, in about 45 min!

Hoytman
04-26-2012, 12:59 PM
I've really been interested in trying the DG polishes because of similar reports. I have 901 wash and love it. Just picked up some Aquawax, but haven't tried it yet. Probably would be great over a sealer, but why have to wipe anything off. Opti-seal it and walk away...same with Ultima Paint Guard Plus.

Opti-seal is crazy simple, for sure. You may find it so easy that you reapply more and more often. In this case, there's no need to worry about how long it beads. Just one coat will make you happy for at least a short few months, and reapplication weekly or even monthly will leave you more than happy, imo.

That said, I hear nothing but awesome reports from those who use DG products.

duck_commander
04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Yea, i've used O-S once so far and it was on my sisters car after i hit it with some Megs cleaner wax... it was very very easy to apply, and heck, you just walk away....

RPPM
04-26-2012, 02:12 PM
DG 501, and 105 are sealants, not a wax. Synthetic wax=sealant, sealant is generally what the detailing industry calls a man made product that is going to offer the protection on the paint. A wax is mostly compromised of naturally occurring products, such as carnauba, or bees wax.

mwoolfso
04-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Opti-seal topped with OCW will probably work better

duck_commander
04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me RPPM...

WMOOLFSO - i would have ordered OCW by now, but i still have 2.5 gallons of Aquawax to go through before i consider buying another spray wax or detailer. LOL

Perfections
04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
If you have the new version of opti seal, apply gps followed with opti seal and you'll have 6 months easy

duck_commander
04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
^^^ Thanks Perfections... i just detailed my parent's camry with GPS 2 weeks ago and the next time i wash their car, i was planning on applying O-S...

I'm assuming i have the new version of O-S, as i just received it 1 week ago from AG.

rwright
04-26-2012, 10:42 PM
The following is just my opinion based on personal experience with Duragloss and the old version of Opti-Seal. The new version may last longer and could be more resistant to harsh soaps, no experience with it yet. This is not a knock on Optimum or Duragloss products since they are both fantastic, just pointing out the obvious.

Customer perspective
The Daily Driver
- Product that lasts the longest to save money on return trips (Duragloss)
- Product that withstands frequent touchless car washes (Duragloss)

Detailer perspective
Opti-Seal
- Saves money & time, ease of use, wipe on walk away, no mixing
- Customer returns to have product re-applied increases profit
- Boost slickness & gloss with Optimum Detail Spray/Gloss Enhancer or simply re-apply

Duragloss
- Long life, less likely to have customer return after a couple months (less profit)
- Takes a little longer to apply/remove
- Can be applied in sun or shade
- Easily boosted with Aquawax for added gloss and slickness

You could easily re-apply Opti-Seal after a maintenance wash as a courtesy but it's not guaranteed they will return. This is where your customer relationship and marketing skills need to be strong. To get the most out of Opti-Seal you should prep the surface with Poli-Seal or GPS to deep clean the paint, this will give you more gloss and pop. The advantage here with Duragloss is that they contain cleaners to help prep the surface for added gloss and better bonding.

You can't go wrong with either line, that is a given. Just make sure you look at it from all angles, make sure you are getting the most from each product, and make sure you match your product to your needs as well as your customer.

Personally, I will be ordering GPS, a fresh bottle of Poli-Seal, and a bottle of the new formula Opti-Seal for testing. I want to make sure my tests are fair by prepping the paint in similar manners. It's not fair to wash, clay, Opti-Seal one side and wash, clay, prep with DG 501, then apply 105.

Hoytman
04-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Good points Richard.
I simply washed, clayed, then opti-sealed the paint and got roughly 4 months...which isn't bad considering your comments on preping the paint with like products to be fair. That makes perfect sense.

You also mention some other interesting comments that I hadn't considered...at least each side of it. I only considered giving my friend/customer the best in longevity (he wanted a wax and I talked him into trying the opti-seal). A customer is no different than me. We all want to save money.

This is a learning process for me.

duck_commander
04-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the detailed write up Richard.

I had never thought about these two products from a professinal detailer's prospective... i do not detail for a living, only famlies vehicles, but even then, you still make a good point about using a product which is very easy to apply and does not cost a lot...

the points about prepping the paint are very good and i never thought about the different paint prep's each product might recommend...

Well seeing my parent's camry had GPS applied 2 weeks ago, i think i'll give it a maintenance wash soon and apply some O-S to it... And for my truck, i'll stick with the DG line as i know it works and my truck is not a garage queen, and has been known to haul some dirt and gravel over the summer months.

It might reach 50* tomorrow, and i've got a warehouse which has heat, lined up for me to detail my truck and leave it over night... I'm gonna try to take some nice detailed pictures of the process.