PDA

View Full Version : Newb needs help with black please

Portdriver
04-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Hello - New to AGO and detailing. I need some advice on what to use on my black truck. I've done some searches and have confused myself. The truck is a 2011 Sierra. It's a daily driver that's always outside. And a light use plow truck in the winter. I want to keep it looking good, not perfect but better than average. I've been thinking to use Detailer’s Pro Series Poli-Coat Paint Sealant and a wax on top of that? Good plan? What wax? Thanks!

embolism
04-26-2012, 09:04 AM
I think this is a job for..... Collinite 845

shoeless89
04-26-2012, 09:07 AM
If I'm going for durability I would go with 2 coats of Collinite 845 or Menzerna Power Lock topped with Collinite 845. I've had great results with that combo.

Klasse Act
04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
My recent use of Black Fire has me a fan of them for sure and when using something on black, well, you want it to be as easy as possible and this product is VERY easy to apply and even easier to remove. If you had to buy just one, go for the Black Fire wet diamond all paint sealant for sure. In fact, its so easy to use that I recommend applying 2 coats to your black truck but you've gotta wait 8 hrs inbetween applications.

I see that your new, so I bet it surely needs to be clayed first for sure and not sure if you've got a wheel to polish the truck with or not, but again, surely that too needs to be done so you've got a fresh start.

Welcome to AG!

Mike Phillips
04-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Hello - New to AGO and detailing. I need some advice on what to use on my black truck. I've done some searches and have confused myself. The truck is a 2011 Sierra. It's a daily driver that's always outside. And a light use plow truck in the winter. I want to keep it looking good, not perfect but better than average. I've been thinking to use Detailer’s Pro Series Poli-Coat Paint Sealant and a wax on top of that? Good plan? What wax? Thanks!

Collinite has a long time history of being a long lasting wax but Poli-Coat is also a long lasting "sealant".

I've seen first hand good luck with Poli-Coat on Behemoth and this truck sits outside here on the Florida coast 24 x 7

See this recent thread,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/48020-durable-lsp-truck.html

The key to ANY wax, sealant or coating is surface preparation.

So before you apply anything to your 2011 Chevy Sierra, be sure to,

Wash
Clay if needed
Polish the paint by hand or machine
Then apply the wax or sealant of your choice.

After that, maintain the finish,

How to clay, clean and wax paint by hand with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25218-how-clay-clean-wax-paint-hand-pinnacle-signature-series-ii.html)

How to maintain a freshly waxed car (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/40056-how-maintain-freshly-waxed-car.html)

:)

vet
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Welcome

Mike Phillips
04-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Do you own any type of electric polisher?

If not, consider getting a DA Polisher like the Porter Cable, Griot's or Meguiar's polishers. Easy to learn how to use and master and you will always get better results faster when working by machine versus working by hand.

Video: How to pick the right polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/25695-show-car-garage-video-how-pick-right-polisher.html)

:)

Portdriver
04-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Ordered a PC 7424 XP. Should be here today. I have Megs Uitimate Polish, Gold and Ultimate wax. Should be fine with these? What tempature is the cut off for outdoor polishing/waxing?

bigaizsosexy
04-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Ordered a PC 7424 XP. Should be here today. I have Megs Uitimate Polish, Gold and Ultimate wax. Should be fine with these? What tempature is the cut off for outdoor polishing/waxing?

If using the products you already have....do not use them in direct sunlight. If you are outside under a canopy...it is fine. If you must detail in direct sunlight (do not suggest) Poorboys World has a full line of products that are in the scope of direct sunlight polishing and LSP'S.

Portdriver
04-26-2012, 02:05 PM

The truck was washed and clayed yesterday. I put a coat of Meg's UQW on it knowing the PC would be here today. I'm itching to give it a try! It's supposed to rain today and only go to 55 tomorrow. Wish I had a garage now!