PDA

View Full Version : GG heavy duty wheel cleaner smell???

Maxstart
04-25-2012, 11:24 PM
So I know the smell is really REALLY strong but after I finish washing and rinsing the wheels, I can still smell it on my car for the next few days. It's pretty annoying. Have others experience the smell staying or am I just not using the pressure washer enough?

Capa1970
04-26-2012, 05:51 AM
Weird, I just got it about 3 weeks ago and haven't noticed any odd smells.

tuscarora dave
04-26-2012, 06:13 AM
If it's an acid based cleaner (smells like naval jelly) I always notice that that smell lingers with Poorboy's Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner too and I couldn't rinse the wheels any more thoroughly.

Setec Astronomy
04-26-2012, 07:41 AM
If it's an acid based cleaner (smells like naval jelly) I always notice that that smell lingers with Poorboy's Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner too and I couldn't rinse the wheels any more thoroughly.

Dave, the GG HD wheel cleaner is like the Sonax FE and Iron-X, so it's got that same smell. Be careful with that Pb's SnR, that's an ABF (ammonium bifluoride) cleaner. Look that up at work. There are special neutralizers (calcium gluconate).

TheCougarGuy
04-26-2012, 07:44 AM
I do notice the smell sticks around for a few days.

FUNX650
04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
"Ooh, that smell
Can't you smell that smell?
Ooh, that smell
The smell of death surrounds you". ~ Lynyrd Skynyrd

GG HD Wheel Cleaner:
-acetic acid
-Sodium mercaptoacetate (Sodium Thioglycolate)

Sonax FE:
-Sodium Thioglycolate (Sodium mercaptoacetate)
-Sodium Gluconate
-Sodium Citrate
-Sodium Hexyl Sulfate
-Sodium Polyacrylate
-Xanthan
-Perfume
-Limonene
-Methylisothiazolinone
-Benzylisothiazolinon

IronX:
-Ammonium Sulfanylacetate (Ammonium thioglycolate)

Hair Perms:
-Alkaline...sodium thioglycolate/ammonium thioglycolate
-Acid...glyceryl monothioglycolate

:)

Bob

Setec Astronomy
04-26-2012, 10:08 AM
FUNX, did something happen recently with these thioglycolates (new base chemical, new process, etc.) that allowed for these new wheel cleaners to all be brought to market at roughly the same time?

The same thing happened with the WOWA sealants, that within less than a year all of the original 3 appeared, and I figured it had to do with the availability of some new "chemical" from one of the large base producers or specialty houses.

FUNX650
04-26-2012, 10:35 AM
FUNX, did something happen recently with these thioglycolates (new base chemical, new process, etc.) that allowed for these new wheel cleaners to all be brought to market at roughly the same time?

The same thing happened with the WOWA sealants, that within less than a year all of the original 3 appeared, and I figured it had to do with the availability of some new "chemical" from one of the large base producers or specialty houses.

-The only thing that immediately comes to mind is for the last couple of years, when the Wife came home from getting a perm, the "perm smell" didn't seem to be as pugnant as it normally used to be. Nor hang around as long a period of time.
-When I asked why...She said nowadays most Beauty Shops have mostly gone away from using the alkline-based (ammonia/sodium thio's) perms, to the acid-based perms.
-This action might be one of the reasons to have the extra "freed-up" alkline-thios now being used, as it seems, for different purposes.

Just a thought...I could be totally off-base, though.

:)

Bob