PDA

View Full Version : Trials & Experiments

clambros
03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
I bought some new toys & did a little experimenting today .. thought I would share.

New Pressure Washer:
Husky 1550PSI (Home Depot - $99)

http://www.lambros.net/details/Husky1550-410.jpg

Pro: Economical (great price point), On Wheels with retractable handle (easy to move around), includes foam adaptor, perfect nice job on wheels and wheel wells, long power cord.
Cons: High pressure hose too short (I had to move the pressure washer around to cover the entire vehicle), foam adaptor uses ALOT of liquid with minimal foam (I'm gonna stick to my AG foam gun; which means I have to move the hose mid wash to the foam gun, then back :( ).Doesn't store compactly (no storage for pressure hose or electrical cord).

The "WASH":

I have to get a "system" down to washing with my pressure washer, my bucket with a grit guard, etc. I'm going to build off Justin's method, but my wash seems to take a little longer than I think it should. Can't seem to get a rhythm going for the wash.

As for the drying .. I have a leaf blower and I'm waiting for the Cobra Guzzlers to get back into stock (until them I'm using cotton towels and the Cobra Super Plush MF).

SHMITT: Tried a white shmitt. It tore in a few places (not major), but did a nice job. Overall, I'm gonna stick with my sheepskin wash mitt (feels softer, and I swear the paint on my LS is made of butter).

Removing swirl marks from my 2007 LS460L (Black):

I only experimented on a 1/4 panel and door (not the whole car). Once I have a method, then I was planning to make a day out of the method on the whole car. Sorry folks, no pics :( (I didn't think of PICs until after the fact). I'll have to remember to shoot some pics when I do the whole car.

Last time I did a complete detail, I used Z5 and Z2. I was happy until I started to look at some fellow AG's results. Then I knew there was room for improvement.

1st Try: White CCS pad with Zaino ZPC (Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover). PC on 5: Better, but no significant swirl removal. (Maybe I should have used an orange pad ?)

2nd Try: White CCS Pad with XMT 1. PC on 5. Follow-up with XMT Carnauba Glaze. Improvement over ZPC, but still some swirls. Top with Meguiars #26 (Hi-Tech carnauba). This process produced some depth / wetness to the black paint. I could see where I stopped my buffing.

3rd Try: Orange Lake Country Pad with XMT 3. PC on 5. (This method just seems a little rough for a new car, and swirl marks that weren't THAT significant .. Only a few people could see them, and only under intense lighting). Follow-up with White CCS pad. PC on 5 (again). Follow-Up with XMT Carnauba Glaze. PC on 5.5. Top off with Meguiars NXT liquid. WOW, this combo seems to have worked the best (but now I want to try the top coat with Souveran that everyone has been talking about).

Observation:
I only worked on a 1/4 panel and (1) door, and both the white and orange pads picked up some black. Normal ?? I thought with a clear coated car, I wasn't going to see that ?? Thoughts ??
http://www.lambros.net/details/3pads-640.JPG

Windows:

DP krystal window vision glass cleaner: (I tried this stuff after an episode where Meguiars NXT glass cleaner "stained" my dash). I sprayed the DP on and removed with a cobra MF waffle weave. I was NOT impressed with this stuff. It streaked everywhere :( . Maybe it was me ??

Sprayway Glass Cleaner: All I can say is this stuff ROQS :righton: . I sprayed it on and removed with a cobra MF waffle weave. No streaks, hazing, etc. :D

Overall a productive day .. I welcome any comments or feedback !

Mike T
03-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the write up. Where their any other pressure washers at Home Depot you were looking at or you just couldn't pass up that deal?

clambros
03-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the write up. Where their any other pressure washers at Home Depot you were looking at or you just couldn't pass up that deal?

I really wanted a 2500-2600 psi pressure washer so I could do my driveway, deck, etc. But I was concerned about using something that powerful on my cars (vette and LS). So I figured $99 sounded like the right price for a "car only" washer.

P8ntballer597
03-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey Thanks for the great info. As for me, I also tried the DP Krystal Vision with poor results for the first time using a microfiber towel. Try using a normal kitchen rag, or a terry cloth. I got great results! I've had that probelem in general with microfiber and windows. But soon as I tried just a regular old kitchen rag, my success shot through the roof. Try again and let me know how it goes. Goodluck.

Nuke33
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Great info!

steveo3002
03-19-2007, 03:58 AM
the black on the pads might be grime/dirt if the car hasnt been polished in a while

you shouldnt be seeing black paint on the pads with a clearcoated car

6LS2
03-19-2007, 05:02 AM
Nice write up bud. I have a Karcher 1400PSI pressure washer and I dont even use it when washing my dads car. Reason is, after using it, I've noticed the paint around the edges of the door handles come off, so the only thing I use my Pressure Washer for is to spray soap all over the car ( Thank god for this ) Without that I don't know what I would do!

6LS2

HighEndDetail
03-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Removing swirl marks from my 2007 LS460L (Black):

Observation:
I only worked on a 1/4 panel and (1) door, and both the white and orange pads picked up some black. Normal ?? I thought with a clear coated car, I wasn't going to see that ?? Thoughts ??
http://www.lambros.net/details/3pads-640.JPG

The black on your Lexus is a single stage paint. It is not clear coated. That black should be called Obsidian if I am correct. I have a client that has the LS460L in black also. Lexus TOLD me it was single stage not clear coated. So the black on the pads is paint

greg'sgoat
03-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Hmmm...wierd you got streaking with the DP Kyrstal Vision. I don't get streaks with it, but I wipe the excess off, flip the towl and buff the glass real quick and it leaves a nice shine. But with the same method, I do get a little streaking with the Dimondite glass cleaner.

And like the others have said, that is normal for single stage paint. My parents have an older grandprix that is single stage and my edge pads get a little blue on them when I do that car.

Whitethunder46
03-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Suggestion for the powerwasher.

At wal-mart there is a 25 ft. extension pressure washer hose W/ the attachment. It's only $28.XX. At Lowe's, Sear's, etc. the extension hoses are $45+.

I have the extension with my 1400PSI Karcher and it's GREAT. It will fit the Husky no problem since it's a 3/8" hose.

clambros
03-19-2007, 09:47 AM
The black on your Lexus is a single stage paint. It is not clear coated. That black should be called Obsidian if I am correct. I have a client that has the LS460L in black also. Lexus TOLD me it was single stage not clear coated. So the black on the pads is paint

You are correct, Obsidian it is. Single stage paint ??!! .. Oh Joy ;)