PDA

View Full Version : Compound then polishing very soft paints... does it add more clarity to it?

DaC
04-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Well guys, this is another topic about very soft paints....

The thing now is..... I don't know if it's just me but I have the impressions that compounding then polishing a very soft paint actually gives it a more clear, precise reflection...

I mean, on a very soft paint... something like m205 or PO85RD is already enough to correct most defects and remove tons of swirls.......... but I have this impression.... that although unnecessary on these cases, still, compounding first can bring clarity to lot better level than light polishing alone....

What do you guys think about it ?

FUNX650
04-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Well guys, this is another topic about very soft paints....

The thing now is..... I don't know if it's just me but I have the impressions that compounding then polishing a very soft paint actually gives it a more clear, precise reflection...

I mean, on a very soft paint... something like m205 or PO85RD is already enough to correct most defects and remove tons of swirls.......... but I have this impression.... that although unnecessary on these cases, still, compounding first can bring clarity to lot better level than light polishing alone....

What do you guys think about it ?

I don't "compound" if it's really unnecessary to remove paint defects in very soft paints, or any other level of "hardness" that other paints may exhibit, for that matter. I'm more concerned about removing, unnecessarily, any amount of the top-coat paint film---usually equated with CC.

Shouldn't the goal be preservation of as much of the CC as possible?

:)

Bob

BillE
04-25-2012, 07:39 AM
IF 205 or the like removes the imperfections...I use a 'lighter weight' pad and slower speed and lighter arm pressure to give it a final 'jewel'.

I REALLLLY try to stay with 'least aggressive first' attitude.

My $.02 only.

Bill

DaC
04-25-2012, 07:41 AM
I agree, but does it make any difference on clarity? Let's say I'm looking for the most perfection before opti coating....

Sent from my GT-S5670L using Tapatalk 2

Flannigan
04-25-2012, 07:53 AM
If the all the imperfections (swirls, RIDS, oxidation etc.) are being removed with a medium or finishing polish, there is no reason to compound. All you are doing is wasting time, products, and shaving off clearcoat for no reason. If the imperfections are truly being removed, compounding will not improve clarity. If it does, then the imperfections weren't actually being removed in the first place.

DaC
04-25-2012, 08:06 AM
I agree.... I know I'm being picky here, but I have a theory....... Maybe compounding a soft paint can level it, reducing some orange peel and this way adding more clarity to reflections ? Just a theory.... I know we have to sand to remove it..... But I think it could help lessen this effect...

Sent from my GT-S5670L using Tapatalk 2