PDA

View Full Version : Need buying advice: Some SMAT better than M205 for soft paint

Pages : [1] 2

DaC
04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Guys I'm working a lot on very soft paints.

Soft to the point that m86/m105/D300 cuts just like the same.

Also M205 + Crimson HT pad will leave pigtails on these paints.
I'm able to finish it very well and correct most swirls with PO85RD + HT Crimson Pad or LC Black Flat pad.

But if I'm right PO85RD is a DAT polish..... I'm looking for some SMAT polish that will cut just like M205 (close or better then it), but will finish very close to PO85RD...

Any ideas ?!

Mike Phillips
04-24-2012, 04:09 PM
But if I'm right PO85RD is a DAT polish.....

Correct and there's nothing wrong with DAT products.

I'm looking for some SMAT polish that will cut just like M205 (close or better then it), but will finish very close to PO85RD...

Any ideas ?!

I don't know if there is a SMAT product that will cut like M205 and finish out like SF 4500.

Might look at Optimum Hyper-Polish I believe it's SMAT, not sure about Polish II but it too might be SMAT or SMAT/DAT

Why the need?

:)

lkotsios
04-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Sonax nano paint cleaner might be what your looking for it should be smat. The other sonax premium care in the black bottle is dat.

embolism
04-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I thought DAT finished down better on soft paints.

Is your shop a DAT free zone or something? :)

DaC
04-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Correct and there's nothing wrong with DAT products.

I don't know if there is a SMAT product that will cut like M205 and finish out like SF 4500.
Might look at Optimum Hyper-Polish I believe it's SMAT, not sure about Polish II but it too might be SMAT or SMAT/DAT
Why the need?

:)

I really don't think there's a problem with it too... :xyxthumbs:
Well... I'm actually trying to find something that might work faster than PO85RD, I mean... I really love it, but as these paints are so soft over here in Brazil, maybe there's something out there that won't need to break in order to finish and correct a good amount during the entire buffing cycle...

Now that you've mentioned I remember reading very good things about Polish II, I'll search for it again...

Sonax nano paint cleaner might be what your looking for it should be smat. The other sonax premium care in the black bottle is dat.

I'll research about it. Thanks for the tip! :dblthumb2:

I thought DAT finished down better on soft paints.

Is your shop a DAT free zone or something? :)

Hahaha... no sir.... I don't even have a shop.... when I say "a lot" it's like 9 cars already all of them with very soft paint..... but the reason is primarily what I replied to Mike..... maybe there's something that will correct more during the entire buffing cycle and still finishes a very soft paint like a DAT....

I mean.... m205 is like the finishing king up there in the states.... but here it really isn't that easy on the paints we got....

I can tell this has mistaken me while choosing products.... M105 / M86 / D300 / Ultimate Compound.... too much from aggressive products which probably will expire before I got the chance to use... I really wasn't counting neither had previous experience and took the type of paint you guys use to find as my criteria... but now I know I need to step back on aggressiveness around here...

This makes me wonder.... I see most guys using rotary with wool / twisted wool in a 1 step process on a OEM paint and sometimes using a 3m superfine (with wool again) to refine the job..... I think this must shred a lot from paint's lifetime around here.....
Once a guy said to me: "I use wool, touch it, it's very soft, very non abrasive".... and I was like ### ? :doh:

Flannigan
04-24-2012, 06:05 PM
SMAT and DAT shouldn't matter, what matters is what works. I've had very good luck with Menzerna 106fa. It cuts close to M205 and finishes as good as PO85 on most paints. I rarely have had a paint job that won't finish perfectly with 106fa. Sure it takes a couple extra passes to break down than a SMAT polish would, but if you are really going for perfection, that amount of time should not be an issue.

DaC
04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
SMAT and DAT shouldn't matter, what matters is what works. I've had very good luck with Menzerna 106fa. It cuts close to M205 and finishes as good as PO85 on most paints. I rarely have had a paint job that won't finish perfectly with 106fa. Sure it takes a couple extra passes to break down than a SMAT polish would, but if you are really going for perfection, that amount of time should not be an issue.

Well... shame on me, but sometimes perfection is not worth the amount a client wants to pay..... I pretty much try to offer something very good... not perfection, unless the guy is willing to pay for my time.... hell I already spend 11-16 hours without striving for perfection but around 85%-90% of it "=]

But anyway... if 106fa cuts like m205 and finishes close to PO85RD even if it's a DAT, it deserves a space in my list.... but if I find a SMAT like this...... now this would be great... :dblthumb2:

Thank you very much for your tip! :buffing:

ScottB
04-24-2012, 06:13 PM
I too find the SMAT vs DAT issue to be over considered in most detailing sessions. If it works, and it does what you want it too then its likely the best product for you. I am however a big fan of the Menzerna ceramiclear polishes. (SIP/106FA/085rd) and find them class leading.

rwright
04-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Honda paint is known to be pretty soft here and I found great success with Optimum Hyper Spray Polish on a Lake Country tangerine hydro tech pad. I made 4 passes - 2 vertical, 2 horizontal and achieved good results. Machine was Griot's Garage DA on speed 4.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/48973-optimum-hyper-spray-polish-ftw.html

DaC
04-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Honda paint is known to be pretty soft here and I found great success with Optimum Hyper Spray Polish on a Lake Country tangerine hydro tech pad. I made 4 passes - 2 vertical, 2 horizontal and achieved good results. Machine was Griot's Garage DA on speed 4.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/48973-optimum-hyper-spray-polish-ftw.html

Now that's Cool! :cheers:

I'd love if you could send me some more pictures from the work progress and 50/50 on this car...

SON1C
04-24-2012, 06:36 PM
i hear the 105 205 po85 combo is great, you should try finishing with po85 even if it is dat

DaC
04-24-2012, 06:50 PM
i hear the 105 205 po85 combo is great, you should try finishing with po85 even if it is dat

I do finish with it... it's actually the only thing that is able to finish the paints I'm working on.

I just wanted some more power with a better finish than M205, if possible close to 85rd.

I have no complain about DAT's or 85RD.

But I keep thinking... well... a SMAT can keep working hard during all passes while a DAT will only correct on the firsts passes.... so if I can find a SMAT that can finish like 85RD with a cut close or better to M205, I can save a lot of time!

I mean.... 4 passes instead of 6 or 8.... because the paints I'm working on are really soft...
Well, makes sense at least to me...... again.... nothing against DAT, I'm just trying to save some time....

SON1C
04-24-2012, 07:05 PM
should try v38 from chemical guys

DaC
04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm Between Optimum Polish II or Hyper Spray Polish / Menzerna PO106FA

I really want to go with Polish II but I'm afraid it might end up not finishing well enough....

what do you guys think ?

Dr Oldz
04-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Are you using a DA or Rotary? Sorry if I missed that.