PDA

View Full Version : purple power degreaser

Pages : [1] 2

SON1C
04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
says FS for tires, but i fear that its too powerful? would i be better off using my zep apc?

AutowerxDetailing
04-24-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm sure there is better stuff out there but it should be fine. I just did the plastic trim on my truck with some 1:1 diluted Purple Stuff to get all of the accumulated wash/wax residue off. It worked great. I don't know about full strength though...

This is buildup on plastic trim from a cheapo wash/wax that I got on sale. At first I thought it was awesome but after about 5 washes my trim got all these ugly spots on it.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012-04-24_09_06_14.jpg

Here is after a quick scrub down with Purple Stuff 1.1 dilution.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012-04-24_09_06_26.jpg

BobbyG
04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
The Purple Power product has been around for quite some time and has been used on tires with nothing but success. I've used it full strength on tires and coated wheels without issue....

OhTwoGT
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I use it full strength on everything on the outside, works great. Its not real real powerful but it gets the job done.

Hoytman
04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I use it full strength on everything on the outside, works great. Its not real real powerful but it gets the job done.

I've got a 2.5 gallon jug that this stuff ate the aluminum foil seal away. I've sprayed if full strength on an oily spot on asphalt and let it soak, then spray clear with water. Sprayed again heavily and let soak (as I'm trying to clean the rest of what oil-dry didn't remove) for 10-15 minutes before rinsing and it actually softened the asphalt.

I'd say it's more powerful that what ya'll realize.

I wouldn't have an issue using it on wheels either, even full strength...

...but over time as it's used more and more how much damage is being done?

I don't have time right now, but sometime in the future when I get a chance I'll take a picture of the aluminum foil seal on my jug...which is still full becuase of seeing it and having reservations about using it.

EDIT:
As a matter of fact I just got off the phone with these good folks and they are emailing me a copy of the label for all to see. The lady on the phone said they get phone calls all the time about folks using this industrial cleaner on automotive finishes and they expressly warn against using it on automobiles.
Cut through grease and dirt with Purple Power. (http://www.clean-rite.com/purplepower_industrial_strength_cleaner_degreaser. html)
Call them and ask for yourself here: Contact Us (http://www.clean-rite.com/contactus.html)

Again, the lady I spoke with said that this industrial strength cleaner should not be used on automotive finishes, tires, or wheels.

Sure any product can be diluted down, but if these folks felt comfortable with their product being used on autos they would've listed it on the label. Don't underestimate how potent this product is.

Will post the label when I receive it.

Hoytman
04-24-2012, 01:25 PM
I just noticed that they do make some automotive products. I wasn't aware of this until now. However, just make note that the Purple Power Industrial Cleaner is NOT intended for automotive use.

I've actually never seen the automotive products in stores.

AutowerxDetailing
04-24-2012, 01:56 PM
I was reading the MDSD for Purple Power compared to some of the Meguiars APCs and Purple Power actually has a lower pH than Meguiars D101 so it seems like it should be okay to use on vehicles.*

*I'm not a scientist and have barely any idea what pH is safe for use on vehicles.

Hunter09
04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
says FS for tires, but i fear that its too powerful? would i be better off using my zep apc?

I have used it from cleaning wheels to eng blocks. Never had a prob with it.

SON1C
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
it says on the back its fine for tires at fs and i think it said interior 10:1, i mean its really a bang for buck at 1 gallon @ 6 dollars

but i don't like if they say it shouldnt be used on automotives in other instances lol, i'm hoping they just mean on paint etc

Hoytman
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Mr. Phillips is going to try and assist me in posting the picture of the product label for Purple Power Industrial Cleaner. For some reason I couldn't right click on it to save the picture as normal for upload. It was in pdf format, and I'm not the best with computers. I normally don't have issues with loading photo's in my gallery. Don't know what was different about the pdf. He should have something posted soon.

Thanks again for your help Mr. Phillips!

TimmyG
04-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Damn you like to start alot of threads OP!

Purple Power is an awesome product with plenty of uses. Since I ordered a gallong of OPC, I haven't used it as much. Should be fine on trim etc.

SON1C
04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
what have you used it on successfully with no damage?

lol hey man i've had some spare time lately and i'm just trying to keep the activity of the forum up

TimmyG
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
what have you used it on successfully with no damage?

lol hey man i've had some spare time lately and i'm just trying to keep the activity of the forum up

I use the stuff on practically everything lol. When the weber grill gets dirty, when the fridge needs cleaning, on coated wheels/tires, trim, etc.

It's like the APC version of duck tape

Hoytman
04-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Here you go. Sent to me straight from the folks in the link I provided above.

Thanks for your help Mr. Phillips!!:xyxthumbs:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PurplePowerLabel01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/PurplePowerLabel02.jpg

EDIT:

As you can see in the photo of the label, I was wrong in quoting the lady as saying it can't be used on tires. The (FS) beside tires means full strength.

Mrs. Bagwell, the lady I spoke with, expressly stated not to use it on painted surfaces.

SON1C
04-24-2012, 06:16 PM
i'd just be worried some might drip down onto a wheel, guess it'll have to be used sparingly