PDA

View Full Version : Griots random orbital kit

Pages : [1] 2

Charleston
04-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Griots Garage Random Orbital Polish & Wax Kit, Griots Garage Dual Action Polisher, Griots machine polishes, Best of Show Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-random-orbital-buffer.html)

Any input on this kit for a noob?

rolop6
04-24-2012, 12:23 AM
I have it and its not bad for a starter, i really like their wax pad. they conform to the body quite well. Much better than the CC pads. Anyway i just got my 3" one today so i have to try it out. Go for it. Im happy, with mine.

john b
04-24-2012, 01:16 AM
do a little research on the griots before you buy

walletless
04-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Honestly, PC 7424xp is good enough for most DIY weekend detailers who are not restoring heavily swirled/scratched paints. See my thread I posted yesterday where I detailed a rather filthy swirl-magnet car with lots of paint marring using an XP. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/49133-detailed-my-daily-driver-my-first-ever-detail.html

GG may have more power and better warranty, but also more expensive. Unless you are going to detail for $$ or have some severe paint issues needing correction, I would save the $, buy a PCXP, and invest what I saved into compounds, polishes, and LSP :)

Capa1970
04-24-2012, 06:13 AM
The price is essentially similar between the PC and the Griot's. The Griot's gives you a lifetime warranty and more power---seems like a no-brainer.

Klasse Act
04-24-2012, 07:15 AM
The price is essentially similar between the PC and the Griot's. The Griot's gives you a lifetime warranty and more power---seems like a no-brainer.

:iagree:

wysiwyg
04-24-2012, 08:23 AM
I have the kit, and it is ok. I like the polisher, but I'd recommend ordering the polisher (not the kit) with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" foam pads which are 7/8" thick. The smaller, thinner pads are much easier to control and use.

I ordered the kit because I was able to get a very good deal on it so I ended up ordering 5.5" pads and the backing plate separately. The backing plate which comes with the kit is too large to use with 5.5" pads.

I've only used the SpeedShine as a clay lube and the clay from the kit.

I went with Griot's polisher because of the lifetime warranty, and the extra power it produces.

EPA7
04-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm also a noob and just used the Griot kit for the first time last weekend. I loved it! I got the kit with additional polishing pads, Machine polish 3, and Paint Sealant. While I learned a lot and can get better results next time, it was pretty easy to use, very gentle, and yielded two very pretty cars. I want to try the smaller MF pads next.

5.4 Shelby
04-24-2012, 08:50 AM
It is a good starting point. The machine is powerful and reliable. The polishes and pads are good enough to get you started.

If you get more serious about it, you will eventually want to get 5.5 in pads and different polishes.

KenR
04-24-2012, 08:50 AM
I have the kit, and it is ok. I like the polisher, but I'd recommend ordering the polisher (not the kit) with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" foam pads which are 7/8" thick. The smaller, thinner pads are much easier to control and use.

I ordered the kit because I was able to get a very good deal on it so I ended up ordering 5.5" pads and the backing plate separately. The backing plate which comes with the kit is too large to use with 5.5" pads.

I've only used the SpeedShine as a clay lube and the clay from the kit.

I went with Griot's polisher because of the lifetime warranty, and the extra power it produces.

I still qualify as a noob but these were exactly the purchases I made. Did a lot of forum reading and listened to the experts before I pulled the trigger and bought the goodies. Glad I did.

Klasse Act
04-24-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm also a noob and just used the Griot kit for the first time last weekend. I loved it! I got the kit with additional polishing pads, Machine polish 3, and Paint Sealant. While I learned a lot and can get better results next time, it was pretty easy to use, very gentle, and yielded two very pretty cars. I want to try the smaller MF pads

Your pretty lucky, don't think their too far away from you IIRC and you might wanna add their machine polish #2 to your shelf, the #3 is good for sure but is mainly for very, very light swirls, I had both 2 and 3 and ended using more of the 3 and ended up combining the 2 after a while, kinda like a MP 2.5:buffing:

SON1C
04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
go with the gg over the other DA's

Bosco
04-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I bought that kit for $100 so it was a no-brainer for me. Go with the Griot's!!

SON1C
04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
howd you get it for 100?

Bosco
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
I actually bought two of them for that price from a site that rhymes with schmamazon last fall. Also bought the 3" package with bag, polish, wax and pads from them for $84. Couldn't pass up those deals!!