PDA

View Full Version : Do the anti-UV protectants wear out?

peterhurcos
04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm thrilled with the way the Jetseal 109 is holding up so far: nine weeks, three small snow storms, 80 degree plus temperatures, car parked outside and still "mountain dew" type beading on the sides of the car and nickel size beads on the hood. Nine weeks coverage headed for 12+, definitely.

I'm not a car detail hobbyist, so I'm a little surprised at the strides they've made in "car wax" over the past twenty years.

My question is: do the anti-UV agents on such long-lived products wear out before the sealant flakes off? I tried the "search" function but found nothing.

CEE DOG
04-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Excellent question Peter!! I've wondered that many times myself. I assume it varies with each product but in general I bet they are designed to break down at the same time... With some maybe the simple fact that anything still on the surface at all (which you see as beading) is acting as a "UV blocker".

If we don't lure any straight answers from an actual chemist that makes these products to this thread I'll email 2 of them and get a quote from each.

FUNX650
04-24-2012, 06:05 AM
My question is: do the anti-UV agents on such long-lived products wear out before the sealant flakes off? I tried the "search" function but found nothing.

-Shedding/Molting:
I've never heard of sealants flaking off before!

-An Assumption on my part (If/When Sealants contain anti-UV agents) :
Usually when liquid car-care products contain ingredients/chemicals that are immiscible, a Chemist, with his knowledge and expertise, will find the correct formulation to make a colloidal suspension...an emulsion, if you will...that will/should remain mixed, so to say, throught the product's life-cycle. (I would be remiss if I didn't include the: "Shake-It-But-Don't-Break-It" instructions for some products)

If it is required of Chemists to also blend in some anti-UV agents within an emulsion, I'm sure they have the wherewithal to do so.
Accordingly, or so it seems to me, anti-UV agents will/should be part of a sealant ...until death do us part.

BTW: A very reflective/deflective "shiny surface", such as a sealant imparts to the top-coat paint film (CC), also plays a huge role in not allowing UV rays to penetrate the CC to some degree.

Probably keeping your 'sealed" vehicle as free from contaminates as possible will also facilitate reflectiveness/anti-UVing.

:)

Bob

Mike Phillips
04-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Just a general observation... generally speaking... everything wears out including you and I...

Anything applied to a daily driver will wear out faster than a garage queen...

Also see what I posted on page 2 of this thread,

Beginning Clearcoat Failure (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/29197-beginning-clearcoat-failure.html)

The above article can be found in my article list (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html)under the heading,

Articles on Car Paint

:)