PDA

View Full Version : Folex - Whats the Hoopla?!?!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bates Detailing
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Alright guys,

I used to love Woolite OXY for stains.... but came to autogeek and everything was Folex this and Folex that. I made the change for that reason and also because I could get it in the gallon form. Well, we ran out of Folex and were in a tight jam (needed a job done NOW type situation). Out came the APC..... we have been using this APC since, for carpets and upholstery - it is equivalent if not better than Folex! We had a Hyundai Accent (which we are getting ALOT of by the way) that had horrible interior seat stains - we used Folex on half and APC on the other half - APC won by a landslide. Yes this wasn't a controlled test and yes the stains on one side may have been different compositions of the ones on the other side (for you technical people), but it was a shocking difference. So whats the deal with Folex? Why is it so great?!?!?

Tundra_10
04-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Care to delve on the APC you were using? If you do not want it public could you shoot me a PM? I am curious of your mysterious wonder solution. I have only used Folex once on a stain inside my house. It did a so-so job but I am sure I was pushing it to a limit as I was trying to get black boot polish out of light-colored carpet. I think the battle was lost before I even started haha!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bates Detailing
04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Care to delve on the APC you were using? If you do not want it public could you shoot me a PM? I am curious of your mysterious wonder solution. I have only used Folex once on a stain inside my house. It did a so-so job but I am sure I was pushing it to a limit as I was trying to get black boot polish out of light-colored carpet. I think the battle was lost before I even started haha!

It is manufactured by a local company that I get many products in bulk. I get this APC by the 5 gallon bucket now and it works great. I was told by many locals that it was great on carpets but scoffed at them lol - then when push came to shove I used it and was super happy with it. It is not sold online at all - but I can maybe send you some (don't know about shipping chemicals?!!?!?). I guess its like moonshine lol - can be great stuff but made in the bathtub and not sold at the store (remember Im a Tennessean!)

Tundra_10
04-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Albeit not originally from here I reside south of the Mason-Dixon line and I totally understand your correlation and the connection. I know you cannot send flammables, I tried sending an aerosol can a month or so ago and it was no bueno

Bates Detailing
04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Albeit not originally from here I reside south of the Mason-Dixon line and I totally understand your correlation and the connection. I know you cannot send flammables, I tried sending an aerosol can a month or so ago and it was no bueno

I don't think its flammable - I'll go check real quick.... if you don't hear back from me then it was flammable :eek:

rwright
04-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Folex leaves no residue, doesn't need rinsed, doesn't alter carpet fiber, has no scent, no bleaching properties, pH neutral, doesn't require a de-foamer if used in a machine...shall I continue?

Interesting about the boot polish comment since I was lucky enough for it to work. Then again I used it on a fresh stain.

rwright
04-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Folex may not work for every stain and I understand that, but it does work for most situations. I am not questioning your method Anthony but I would like to see a situation when it doesn't work for you and how you tackled the stains. Please do not take this post or my previous in a bad way, I am here to learn like everyone else. I'm certain that other folks as well as myself can learn something from you. :)

Ron Atchison
04-24-2012, 05:51 AM
You can ship soap USPS I did it yesterday with no problem.

Tundra_10
04-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Folex leaves no residue, doesn't need rinsed, doesn't alter carpet fiber, has no scent, no bleaching properties, pH neutral, doesn't require a de-foamer if used in a machine...shall I continue?

Interesting about the boot polish comment since I was lucky enough for it to work. Then again I used it on a fresh stain.
It might very well have taken fresh polish out but for the past 6 months i have been polishing my boots inside the house for convenience and recently realized what i was doing, I was so embarrassed to how oblivious I was. It took out a good bit, and knew it would be a long shot but tried it due to the popularity of it.

BobbyG
04-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Anthony,

I agree with you. :props:

Because of all the talk I picked up a gallon of Folex at Lowe's. Doe it work? Sure but then again so does all purpose cleaner. You'd be surprised at how many "specialty" products are not needed especially for the additional costs...

The same goes with Amazing Roll-Off. It's works but it's very expensive. As an alternative I switched back to Meguiar's Super Degreaser for less that half the price and at 4:1 dilution it works great on tires..:props:

Meguiar's Super Degreaser
Optimum Opti-Clean

SeaJay's
04-24-2012, 08:17 AM

I use folex for all of these reasons. Are there times where Folex doesn't work and I need to step it up to something a bit stronger? Yes. When that happens it's APC. But most APCs tend to foam up a good amount which is why I really prefer Folex. Especially for spot cleaning. It doesn't foam up and end up collecting more dirt.

Just my 2 cents. It's obviously not for every stain out there, but I swear by it.

feds27
04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Is FOLEX an APC?

Both Megs APC+ and Optimum Power Clean use surfactants and are pH balanced. The FOLEX website states it uses surfactants, it's pH balanced, and can be used on multiple surfaces.

Folex Fact Sheet (http://www.folexcompany.com/folex_facts.html)

davidc11291
04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
For me, the biggest selling point of Folex is that it doesn't need to be rinsed out. I like to use it mainly on seats and headliners- 2 areas where keeping water/liquid to a minimum is important. I like to flood carpets (then use an extractor). I feel like this is important for removing the dried up dirt/mud, so I usually use an APC in the carpets.

BobbyG
04-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Richard,

Those are important points I hadn't considered!! :props:

I dilute my all purpose cleaner 6:1 for interior use. Once I'm through scrubbing I use my Bissel ProHeat using only hot water to rinse and vacuum the dissolved contaminates.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/AutoCareProHeat.jpg

I keep learning every day!! :dblthumb2:

rwright
04-24-2012, 01:31 PM
The more I think about it Bobby, I believe time is the biggest factor for Anthony. APC will cut faster but the rinsing step adds time, so is it really saving?