PDA

View Full Version : How much product do you use?

Pages : [1] 2

AUdakota
03-18-2007, 01:29 PM
About 3 weeks ago I polished my truck using XMT2 and than the XMT glaze. It feels like I used way too much product. I just looked and I used abour 25% of each of the bottles doing just one pass of each on my truck. With both products it felt like the liquid was drying up before the polish had completely broken down I would say 2-3 minutes max so I would add a little more to the pad and continue to work for another ~3 minutes or so. Does this sound right or was I doing too big of sections (about 4ftX4ft) or was I going too fast on the PC (btw 5&6) or should I just expect to buy more polish??

abrcrombe
03-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I would say that is too much polish. Usually you want to start off working on 2ft x 2ft sections. Once you are more comfortable with using a PC, you can make it bigger. XMT does go into the pad a little more than other polishes, and when that happens you don't want to add more polish. You can just spritz the pad with some QD or water, and it should give you enough working time to let the polishes break down. Also, I don't know if the panels are hot when you are polishing. You want the panels to be cool when you polish, or else that will make the polishes dry even quicker. Hope this works for you.

flatstick
03-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I would say you are using too much product. try smaller sections and use less product. speed 6 is too fast for a glaze , I would use 4 , that works for me with a glaze. the big thing is too move slow with the PC especially when removing defects, let the polish breakdown. I like to keep the armspeed and PC moving around an inch per second when removing defects after you have the product spread around your work area on a lower speed. also make sure to overlap your path by 50% to ensure ample coverage. hope these ideas make sense to you.

AUdakota
03-18-2007, 02:06 PM
The surface was cool when I was working....
So this coming week I will try the following techniques when I work on some other cars:
Slow down movement
Use QD as pad "wetter" when product seems to dry up
Work smaller sections
slow glaze speed down.

orngez
03-18-2007, 02:25 PM
The surface was cool when I was working....
So this coming week I will try the following techniques when I work on some other cars:
Slow down movement
Use QD as pad "wetter" when product seems to dry up
Work smaller sections
slow glaze speed down.
definitely sounds like a better approach...just so you know as you get better with the product and its correcting times you will be able to work much larger areas...i believe it is justin on this forum posted a technique that i use as well but takes some time to learn and get used too...and product working time knowlege is a must....start at high speed and move slowly...and then when the product is about to fully breakdown and its working time is almost up slow the speed down and work a fast final pass...

ltoman
03-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Don't worry - you aren't the only one with a heavy hand!! Me too. And it is hard to fight. you know the if a little is good, more is better concept.
my son is doing it too.

nick19
03-18-2007, 02:41 PM
2 Nickel or 2 Dime sized amounts is all you need.

bambo2888
03-18-2007, 03:08 PM
you can either apply 3 x 2in. lines across your pad or a dime sized amount in the middle of the pad for each 2x2ft. area. 25% left means you used WAY too much. I did my car with probably about 3 applications for each 2x2ft. area and I still have more than you left...

nick19
03-18-2007, 03:11 PM
I use two small dots because I work a larger area. Depends on the product your using as well; one or two small dots is all you need.

AUdakota
03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
whoa baby I would just do a ring around the pad and that seemed like too little some times....

I bet the people at AG love me when I use 4x too much product hahaha

Nica
03-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Hey AUdakota, no worries I'm sure when we were all newbies we all did the same. I know I did, I used way to much products but I quickly found the correct amount and now I'm getting great results with such small amounts.

A ring around the pad wow...AG is going to love you long time lol.

Nuke33
03-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I like using a little bit of Quick Detailier helps it spread easy.

ltoman
03-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Nica used to use tons too, so he can't make too much fun of me.
BTW, I still have that souveran. it went time number 4 yesterday so far.
so there!
hee hee

P1et
03-21-2007, 02:28 PM
I personally spray some QD on my pad before putting the polish on there. I have polished three vehicles and still have 3/4 of my SSR2.5 left. I don't think I use it sparingly though...

nick19
03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P10100152.JPG

This is enough per panel. No bigger than a dime.