PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Paint

Pages : [1] 2

CAMAROZL1
04-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey guys i wrote about the trouble I'm having with swirls on a porsche I'm working on. I was using LC hydro Cyan with BF compound 1500-2000. Tried using WG swirl remover, no luck. Loudog2 mention switching up my pads so Im going to look into the LC CCS pads colors yellow and orange. Im going back to do this car over. The owner is happy but I am not. My plan is wash, clay, test spot with CCS yellow with WG, then BF polish, and BF sealant. Using GG6 as DA. Thoughts?

Mobile detail
04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
With porche paint I usually use Menzerna PF and a yellow buff and shine to start and do like 3-4passes then without wiping, I put on a black B&S pad and will finish it down. Granted I use a rotary with it. You may wanna look at using a surbuff pad with the DA. You'll have to finsh down with something else but it should knock down the swirls.

TimmyG
04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Are the porsche paints typically on the hard side? I have a friend with a new Cayenne that may want a correction in the future.

Porsche Pilot
04-23-2012, 05:44 PM
What color Porsche and what year are you working on? My Arctic Silver is on the hard side but Porsche red, black and speed yellows are on the softer side. Clear coats are NOT thick at all so patience and care is recommended. Definitely dial in the process with a test spot. The most aggressive I have ever been with a Porsche is an LC orange with Menzerna SIP via a Flex 3401. I switch to white and then black for the final polishes.

LuxuryMobile
04-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Hey Ed,

Would you group the navy or dark blue in with those softer paints for P cars?

Porsche Pilot
04-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Hey Ed,

Would you group the navy or dark blue in with those softer paints for P cars?

I have found that the blues on a Boxster are a bit harder than the blues of a 911 type. Not sure why. The lapis blue 911's behave like the metallic grays in my opinion...somewhere in the medium range. This is for modern Pcars. The Gulf blue (light blue) is also fairly soft and my favorite color.

The absolute hardest Porsche clear I have ever worked on was my former silver Panamera. That thing was Audi hard.

Mobile detail
04-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Silver is a PITA. I think they mix the paint with epoxy haha. The Cayenne I did was black and it was fairly easy to correct. I hit it with Menz PF203 and a tangerine HT pad with rotary and finished with p085rd and black. It did have a tendency to mar with anything too aggressive.

loudog2
04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Hey guys i wrote about the trouble I'm having with swirls on a porsche I'm working on. I was using LC hydro Cyan with BF compound 1500-2000. Tried using WG swirl remover, no luck. Loudog2 mention switching up my pads so Im going to look into the LC CCS pads colors yellow and orange. Im going back to do this car over. The owner is happy but I am not. My plan is wash, clay, test spot with CCS yellow with WG, then BF polish, and BF sealant. Using GG6 as DA. Thoughts?
Yellow and orange are pretty aggressive. I meant going from the hydro cayan to a CCS white, soft green or grey. The more aggressive pad could be causing marring on your paint. Which is making you think your not removing them, when you are actually creating them.

Like I said about my black toyota. If I polish it out with anything more than a soft gree or grey pad with 106FA, I get marring. So I have to follow up a stronger polish no matter what with a finer polish and pad.

CAMAROZL1
04-23-2012, 08:55 PM
What color Porsche and what year are you working on? My Arctic Silver is on the hard side but Porsche red, black and speed yellows are on the softer side. Clear coats are NOT thick at all so patience and care is recommended. Definitely dial in the process with a test spot. The most aggressive I have ever been with a Porsche is an LC orange with Menzerna SIP via a Flex 3401. I switch to white and then black for the final polishes.

Its a 12 y/o car I believe and its black

CAMAROZL1
04-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Yellow and orange are pretty aggressive. I meant going from the hydro cayan to a CCS white, soft green or grey. The more aggressive pad could be causing marring on your paint. Which is making you think your not removing them, when you are actually creating them.

Like I said about my black toyota. If I polish it out with anything more than a soft gree or grey pad with 106FA, I get marring. So I have to follow up a stronger polish no matter what with a finer polish and pad.

So you think get some white pads then? As for polish I own WG and BF.

loudog2
04-23-2012, 09:01 PM
So you think get some white pads then? As for polish I own WG and BF.
I would get some white and some grey. You could also try the optimum pads(cutting and finishing) or the megs system. Get some menz 106FA also. I'd say get some 205, but that doesn't work on all paint and could leave marring on softer paints.

CAMAROZL1
04-23-2012, 09:30 PM
thank you sir

Porsche Pilot
04-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Its a 12 y/o car I believe and its black

I am surprised that the black is not correcting the way you would like. Are you still seeing micro marring or are RIDS the trouble? What speed on the GG are you using?

CAMAROZL1
04-24-2012, 08:42 AM
I am surprised that the black is not correcting the way you would like. Are you still seeing micro marring or are RIDS the trouble? What speed on the GG are you using?

Me too I thought this would be easy detail. As for rids yes micro marring yes as we'll. My gg6 when I was compounding was at 5 and moved up to a 6 with no results. Going to get Ccs pads and use wg as my compound

Porsche Pilot
04-24-2012, 08:49 AM
The WG TSR is a great polish and should knock out swirls with no problem. Do you only have the Cyan Hydro? Stepping into a white pad will be a great choice. I have corrected many a Porsche with just a white pad with WG TSR followed with a black finishing pad. The RIDS may be something that you will have to live with. That clear coat is as thin as an onion skin and unless it's a concours car, I wouldn't go crazy trying to get them out. Another question, could the micro marring you are seeing be caused by the wiping off with a MF?