PDA

View Full Version : How many times can I use my Megiuars Microfiber Correction kit?

Bamaboy007
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
I like to keep my finish perfect so if I see any small scratches in my paint I grab my trusty Microfiber Compound and my DA and go to work. Will there come a time when I've corrected it as much as possible with very little clear coat left if I keep correcting it all the time?

TimmyG
04-23-2012, 03:31 PM
The idea is to use the least agressive combination to get the paint swirl free. If you're referring to using D300 everytime you see an imperfection, there are probably better products that are easier on your paint to use.

Mobile detail
04-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Ya, you will burn through the clear coat for sure. The best thing, like TimmyG said, is use the least aggressive option first. If they are small scratches, your kinda going to the extreme with D300. I would try maybe Menzerna P106 or even P085rd (i don't know the new #'s and am too lazy to look them up).

Another thing to consider is, maybe using a glaze. Sure, the defects will still be there, but if its a daily driver, your better applying a glaze every so often then removing the already thin clear coat. Its all up to you and what you want, but I find that I can live with the defects being covered up better than having to repaint the car.

TimmyG
04-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Ya, you will burn through the clear coat for sure. The best thing, like TimmyG said, is use the least aggressive option first. If they are small scratches, your kinda going to the extreme with D300. I would try maybe Menzerna P106 or even P085rd (i don't know the new #'s and am too lazy to look them up).

Another thing to consider is, maybe using a glaze. Sure, the defects will still be there, but if its a daily driver, your better applying a glaze every so often then removing the already thin clear coat. Its all up to you and what you want, but I find that I can live with the defects being covered up better than having to repaint the car.

+1

You could maybe even try the new Megs Paint Reconditioning Cream. I've heard alot of good experiences with it and will surely grab a gallon on my next AG order.

SON1C
04-23-2012, 04:54 PM
get megs d151 and po85 :)

Bamaboy007
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
I'll look those up. Thanks. Any other suggestions?

umi000
04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Leave them be, or use a filling product, and just hit a bunch of them a year later (preferably with a less aggressive product). I know, that's not what you want to hear, and if you're not planning on keeping your car for too long, then I guess you'd be fine doing as you are (though whoever buys the car from you might have some issues later on), but as everyone has mentioned, you don't really want to be polishing too often (and I've read that you really shouldn't need to compound more than once). Remember that your clear coat is a finite resource.

This touches on a point raised by a member on another detailing forum - that with today's incredibly aggressive chemicals and pads, paired with more powerful machines, it's possible that a lot of people getting into detailing now, and getting used to reaching for these combinations too often, might have to deal with clear coat failure a few years from now. As always, use the least aggressive product for the job - and that product doesn't necessarily have to be an abrasive product. People on detailing forums seem to have an aversion to using glazes and other products that fill, but any product that will help me keep my paint looking great without having to polish some of that paint away would definitely be worth using, in my opinion. (Heck, I wish that manufacturers would work on products which have more durable fillers.)