PDA

View Full Version : SSR pre-wetting?

neverman
03-18-2007, 07:14 AM
So I recently did my 1st detail with ssr 2.5 and 1.0 and now I've noticed a bunch of advice about not priming the pad with a conditioner or it will haze or possibly dust much worse than just starting out with product?

I didn't really have any problems when I DID prep my pads (edge pads btw), did I miss something or is just from not being a professional and in no big hurry that I didn't run into problems? Would I have gotten better results had I not prepped the pads? Should I re-polish the areas I've done on my car?

Bah-hum-bug. :confused:

6LS2
03-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Well, are all the swirls/defects gone?

neverman
03-18-2007, 07:25 AM
The swirls are mostly gone, I'm wondering if I might have a clouding effect though that I can't detect without comparing it to a "pure" surface. It looks good to me for damaged paint (lots of rock chips etc.)(there are pictures in my gallery and in a thread I started about my 1st detail)

I'm just wondering what all the worry is about or is it folk lore? Maybe more of a warm climate or full sun issue?

joe.p
03-18-2007, 08:42 AM
When using PBs SSRs it is not recommended to mist the pad due to the fact it can make the polish much more aggressive also i would suggest to use a polishing pad before a light cut pad SSRs seem to work better with a posihing pad..

budman3
03-18-2007, 09:57 AM
It'll make the polish more agressive, it may not finish down to a nice finish, it'll make the product dust, etc. Some people use the SSR line, spray it with QD or water and complain that the product doesn't work .... no, thats not the case... I say user error, IMO. As long as you get the results you want and are happy, that's all that matters.

joe.p
03-18-2007, 11:05 AM
It'll make the polish more agressive, it may not finish down to a nice finish, it'll make the product dust, etc. Some people use the SSR line, spray it with QD or water and complain that the product doesn't work .... no, thats not the case... I say user error, IMO. As long as you get the results you want and are happy, that's all that matters.
Hey Budman whats up , actually i though of you when i read his post..I gave him the same advice you offered me when i started using PBs:cheers:

budman3
03-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Everythings good on my end, spring is almost here even though we just got a foot of snow .... HOpe everything is well with you. As for the SSRs, I've never had a dusting problem and I've used them a lot :D So when someone says they have a dusting problem I throw out some possible reasons why it could have happened and ways to prevent it. There is a slight learning curve with all products.

joe.p
03-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Everythings good on my end, spring is almost here even though we just got a foot of snow .... HOpe everything is well with you. As for the SSRs, I've never had a dusting problem and I've used them a lot :D So when someone says they have a dusting problem I throw out some possible reasons why it could have happened and ways to prevent it. There is a slight learning curve with all products.I find if you apply what you learn on the boards with trial and process the whole detaing thing falls into place..
everything is fine here..Thanks for asking

neverman
03-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I probably didn't mind the aggresive gains when I used the 2.5 (paint had 12 years on it) however using the 1 and the polishing pad may have gone better had the pad been dry eh? I didn't get much dusting but then again it was like 45 degress.

Thanks for the input.

Surfer
03-18-2007, 06:37 PM
If your using the SSR line though, remember to do a alcohol wipedown on each panel or on sections to check your work as you go, the line has some fillers. You may still have polishing to do.

BILL
03-18-2007, 06:45 PM
If your using the SSR line though, remember to do a alcohol wipedown on each panel or on sections to check your work as you go, the line has some fillers. You may still have polishing to do.

Is the not recommended pad prepping only on P.B. Polish's:confused:

budman3
03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I personally never prime pads with anything but the product itself... thats with various polishes - Poorboys, Optimum, Megs #9, High Temp light cut, Menzerna IP & FP..