PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar in microfiber rinse cycle?

WRXINXS
04-22-2012, 09:32 PM
I had two questions about adding vinegar to the rinse cycle while washing microfibers.

1. what kind of vinegar?
2. How much do I use?
3. People do this because of the softening effect?

Thanks,
Drew

Rayaz
04-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I have a HE front load machine. I add regular white vinegar to the hopper in place of fabric softener (max 1/3 cup according to the machine). I also do a double rinse and my MF comes out soft and clean every time.

Robert8194
04-22-2012, 10:02 PM
I have a HE front load machine. I add regular white vinegar to the hopper in place of fabric softener (max 1/3 cup according to the machine). I also do a double rinse and my MF comes out soft and clean every time.

Same here. But usually a single rinse is sufficient.

Railroad
04-22-2012, 10:06 PM
I just Googled, vinegar in washing machine, you'll find all kinds of ways
to use it there. I've used a 1/4 cup to get sweat stains out of t-shirts.

FUNX650
04-22-2012, 10:28 PM
I had two questions about adding vinegar to the rinse cycle while washing microfibers.

1. what kind of vinegar?
2. How much do I use?
3. People do this because of the softening effect?

Thanks,
Drew

From an earlier thread:

Can you elaborate on why people use white vinegar in the rinse?

-Most detergents are alkaline (ph around 12).
- "Detergent-Washing" anything, including MF towels, can leave minute traces of 'detergent-residue' in/upon a wash-load.
-Vinegar is acetic acid (ph around 2)
-Vinegar, then, balances the ph when used in the rinse cycle
-Vinegar is a natural "softener"
-Vinegar 'removes' the minute, residual detergent.

"Vinegaring" MF towels? I usually just add 1(one) teaspoon of White Vinegar, per towel, to the rinse cycle.

:)

Bob

Hope this helps some...

Mustang81
04-23-2012, 07:41 AM
I think the stuff I've got is "distilled white vinegar". I don't use it anymore because I picked up some DP MF Cleaner when it was on BOGO and so far that has worked like a charm.

SON1C
04-23-2012, 08:13 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/49096-random-mf-question.html some good info should answer all of your questions in this thread I asked the same questions

edit bob quoted the good info concerning this already lol

WRXINXS
04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Do I still need to add Vinegar if I use Micro-Restore detergent? I read on the internet that for softening to use .5 cup, does that sound right?

rymahoney
04-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I just washed about 30 mf towels in washing machine with some laundry detergent. Are those towels unusable now?

Detail_Dude
04-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I just washed about 30 mf towels in washing machine with some laundry detergent. Are those towels unusable now?

Yes, so send them to me.

Joking.

Send them through a rinse cycle, re-wash and rinse with MF detergent + a bit of white vinegar on 'warm' or 'cold', put them in the dryer with no heat adn on the 'fluff' setting.

FUNX650
04-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Send them to me for usability-testing. Thanks!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/inspectionlabel.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/45691)

Best regards,

rymahoney
04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
So if I don't have mf detergent I can't use regular stuff right?

HotRodJoe
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I've been using microfiber detergent and it has yet to make a mf look clean. I've doubled the dose, etc, makes no difference. Can't remember brand, but I got it here on AG. Micro Restore sounds right...yellow liquid in a container that has a place to measure out right amount built into it. Is vinegar what I'm missing?

opie_7afe
04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
hotrodjoe, microfibers become stained over use its just a fact of life. it will not make an impact on performance. always use recomended amount of a product especially when washing microfibers, in this case like most with detailing more is not better(unless its products and towels and pads and tools!). id do the vinegar treatment to them though

-for others i quit using the normal laundry detergent even free and clear made my towels not absorb as much as they once did, even using megs apc+ as a microfiber soap left with same results, however i was suprized at this finding i purchased some dollar general brand delicate wash soap, this stuff made my towels good as new besides minor staining on certain towels. now i have towels that absorb liquid like they should and are soft like they should be.they also finally absorb the water they should. next load i do i will use the delicate wash and vinegar see how it fares.