PDA

View Full Version : Clay doesn't remove wax/sealant coats....does it?

Pages : [1] 2

Klasse Act
04-22-2012, 08:36 PM
So I've been using ONR for quite some time now, mild winter allowed me to do so, and all along I've been feeling the paint and it has been smooth to the touch, so the combo of all the coats of Zaino, touch-free washes when it was too cold for ONR and finally the use of ONR have kept my paint in great shape. Recently I aquired Black Fire Crystal Seal and wet diamond all paint sealant and used them with much glee! Today I decided to run the car through my favorite touch-free wash and just happened to check out the paint, well, its got a little grit in it, I rubbed it and put my ear near it and could hear it, I was kinda surprised and I guess this "creeped up on me", so I decided to clay the car and afterwards applied another coat of BFCS on the paint.

So my question to you guys is this, does a regular clay of average strength remove any layers of protection? FWIW, I used a straight quick detailer as lube too, nothing watered down. I have learned to not assume the paint is always going to be clean even though I stay ontop of my car, I guess this pollen season has been pretty strong!

brian45acp
04-22-2012, 09:19 PM
clay removes everything.

I also use Zaino and love the stuff so far. Dont waste the detailer for clay mix water and car a cap of car wash soap in a spray bottle.

Mobile detail
04-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Ya it will remove wax., more all of it but out definitely removes some if not most.,I usually won't clay unless I'm going to polish because I've never been able to not induce marring or swirls. I use Automagic clay magic blue. Someone I'll use red and that will def remove wax and cause swirls

01GreyStangGT
04-22-2012, 09:24 PM
clay removes everything.

I also use Zaino and love the stuff so far. Dont waste the detailer for clay mix water and car a cap of car wash soap in a spray bottle.

I agree about the clay removing everything.

Capa1970
04-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Doesn't it depend on the clay, whether it will remove wax and sealant? Sure, a lot do, but I would assume that the more gentle and soft ones wouldn't without a lot of effort.

ralliartjuggalo
04-22-2012, 09:33 PM
the clay will and most likely so will the touch free car wash with the harsh chemicals that allow it to be touch free

Kaban
04-22-2012, 09:34 PM
heard this argument go both ways many times. I just wax or seal after claying anyway otherwise I don't even bother with the clay bar.Don't you want to seal your smooth paint surface after clay bar anyway?

Klasse Act
04-22-2012, 09:35 PM
I just thought of something, if clay really does remove everything (not doubting any of you here) then why does a percentage of people out there insist on using Dawn to strip their cars finish down to nothing AND seemingly damage their clearcoats in the process? I know this has surely been debating to death here over the years and I for one will NEVER EVER use Dawn on anything other than dishes, that's what its made for....takes grease out of your way, strong enough for that, so I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would use something so strong on their clearcoats. I see people post here about using Dawn every spring to strip/prep their car for a full detail after winter when there's actual products out there that not only do this but will also not harm your clearcoat, its got a hard enough job to do, why weaken it by kicking it in the nuts everytime you wash with Dawn?!

Klasse Act
04-22-2012, 09:37 PM
heard this argument go both ways many times. I just wax or seal after claying anyway otherwise I don't even bother with the clay bar.Don't you want to seal your smooth paint surface after clay bar anyway?

Oh I did for sure, probably will apply another coat of BF Wet Diamond tomorrow and then re-seal it with BFCS again:dblthumb2:

Rsurfer
04-22-2012, 09:41 PM
clay removes everything.

I also use Zaino and love the stuff so far. Dont waste the detailer for clay mix water and car a cap of car wash soap in a spray bottle.Clay removes Zaino?

fenderpicks
04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I just thought of something, if clay really does remove everything (not doubting any of you here) then why does a percentage of people out there insist on using Dawn to strip their cars finish down to nothing AND seemingly damage their clearcoats in the process? I know this has surely been debating to death here over the years and I for one will NEVER EVER use Dawn on anything other than dishes, that's what its made for....takes grease out of your way, strong enough for that, so I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would use something so strong on their clearcoats. I see people post here about using Dawn every spring to strip/prep their car for a full detail after winter when there's actual products out there that not only do this but will also not harm your clearcoat, its got a hard enough job to do, why weaken it by kicking it in the nuts everytime you wash with Dawn?!

I so totally agree with you on that whole dawn wash to strip LSP.
I just recently coated my car with cquartz, and my car had LAYERS of FRESH WAX/SEALANT/GLAZE.
I applied glaze, sealant, wax on my car a week ago and i decided im going to coat it, so i wont have to deal with it for a LONG time.

Many told me to wash with dawn to strip my LSP, but i just used a HELL LOT of citrus wash from CG and used TRIX to prep my car. And now i cant be any happier that my car is coated

umi000
04-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Depends on the clay, the pressure used, and the LSP (what LSP it is, and how long since it was applied). It will almost certainly degrade it somewhat, but always completely strip it.

FUNX650
04-22-2012, 11:32 PM
why does a percentage of people out there insist on using Dawn

Even though it costs more...shouldn't it be: Ivory Liquid...FTW???

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7cGIMRZGEo]Petticoat Junction Ivory Liquid Commercial - YouTube[/video]

waiting for Martha Stewart to chime in here....

:D

Bob

Klasse Act
04-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Depends on the clay, the pressure used, and the LSP (what LSP it is, and how long since it was applied). It will almost certainly degrade it somewhat, but always completely strip it.

My last detailing session had me apply 2oz's of Z-5 pro w/ZFX (accidently made too much, had to use the entire bottle in one day...many coats applied) to the car and that was about 6 weeks ago and last week I applied a coat of BF wet diamond all paint sealant as well as a coat of their Crystal Seal, so its well protected but like I said, when I inspected and felt the paint, I had to clay yesterday for sure. The amount of grit was evident on my clay bar too, not dark like most people's cars I do but enough to see it and for me, that's too much, can't believe I thought I was getting by this long w/o claying.

As far as the clay, well, for the life of me I can't remember which clay I have in the containter right now as I'm using an old Griot's container for this particular clay, its purple and is your average strength clay and I didn't rub too hard, didn't need to as it wasn't that gritty.

Its supposed to be 60 and sunny today, so I'm going back out there this afternoon to apply a coat of BF wet diamond and re-seal it with the BFCS:props:

I really don't think claying with average strength clay will remove everything, this on the other hand will surely remove everything on your paint and weaken the clearcoat, IMO. Just watch this video and ask yourself this, "do you really, really wanna use this on your precious clearcoat?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mCbg2jV7M8

Mike Phillips
04-23-2012, 07:21 AM
So my question to you guys is this, does a regular clay of average strength remove any layers of protection?

Sometimes what I do when trying to explain something on a forum or in person is to put the topic into an extreme example to make a point, like this...

Does claying add protection?

What's the opposite of adding?

:)