PDA

View Full Version : THe famed #16

Pages : [1] 2 3

paradog
03-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok I understand that the old formula is the one to get, but how do you know if what you are buying is the old formula or new one? I know there are a few horders of this product out there....share your knowledge....share your product!

joe.p
03-17-2007, 10:34 PM
iirc,megs #16 is dis- Continued in the US due to VOC regulation i don't beleive Europe has the same regulations this is why it is still available there..

wytstang
03-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Ok I understand that the old formula is the one to get, but how do you know if what you are buying is the old formula or new one? I know there are a few horders of this product out there....share your knowledge....share your product!
#16 first debuted in 1952 (or 51) anyhow there was no new formula Megs never changed it. In fact like mentioned Megs drop it instead of changing the formula (also NXT tooks it's place). Even though Megs still makes it they just don't sell it here. There I can share my knowledge but share my product......I like you you're funny Im the MAN

ltoman
03-18-2007, 12:41 AM
wytstang, the #16 expert! lol

nick19
03-18-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm a member on the Meg's board as well, and quite a few members have them, but you need to know who to ask. I paid $22 shipped for my can.

eBay gets them once an a while, $40+ isn't common for a can.

The durability and shine combined in one product make it a "must have". #16 is commonly known as one of the most durable waxes out there.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P10101001.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P10100991.JPG

wytstang
03-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Funny how a wax designed in the early 50's can go head to head with "New and Imporved" sealants that last longer, yet #16 can beat quit a few of them in a durabity test :-/

nick19
03-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Funny how a wax designed in the early 50's can go head to head with "New and Imporved" sealants that last longer, yet #16 can beat quit a few of them in a durabity test :-/

That's why I HAD to buy me some!! And the shine produced from such a durable wax is amazing.

I think #21 is the paste version of #16. #21 is tied for the best sealant I've ever used. Its more durable than WGDGS but the shine sometimes doesn't compare (depending on color of car). So its a trade off IMO.

McLaren SLR #85, #80 and #21

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184slr3.jpg

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184slr4.jpg

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184slr1.jpg

I won't dispute the beauty of #21 on a properly prepaired car.

abrcrombe
03-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Wow that SLR is hot. I wonder how Souveran would look on it. Did you work on it Nick? Looks great if you did. Anyways, here is my collection. Before I got rid of some ;)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/mitchell_reed/DSC_5236.jpg

Surfer
03-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Funny how a wax designed in the early 50's can go head to head with "New and Imporved" sealants that last longer, yet #16 can beat quit a few of them in a durabity test :-/Hell look at Collinite, their wax will outlast basically any sealant combo save for maybe a full Zanio process or AIO and couple layers of SG. I've had their 915 wax on our other cars for a couple months, the slickness and look is still there, other beauty waxes like Nattys Blue and Souveran after a month or two the slickness and look drop off, but 915 has hung in there, impressed.

I don't know what the hell Collinite uses in their wax but they've figured out how to get a carnauba to last very, very long.

Nica
03-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Wow that is quite the collection, I've been looking for some but no rush from my end if I get some I get some if I don't well I've never used it so I don't know what I'm missing.

That vehicle looks wicked nick....very nice. I agree with you, as long as you have the preperation and process then anyone can get great results. My beleave is that experiance makes a pro any product they use they get great results because of exeriance. Don't get me wrong if you don't have the right tools it's hard to get great results but tools are only a pease of the pie. Just my opinion. But it would be nice to get my hands on some #16 lol

nick19
03-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Wow that is quite the collection, I've been looking for some but no rush from my end if I get some I get some if I don't well I've never used it so I don't know what I'm missing.

That vehicle looks wicked nick....very nice. I agree with you, as long as you have the preperation and process then anyone can get great results. My beleave is that experiance makes a pro any product they use they get great results because of exeriance. Don't get me wrong if you don't have the right tools it's hard to get great results but tools are only a pease of the pie. Just my opinion. But it would be nice to get my hands on some #16 lol

I agree. Meg's Pro line cost me about half of what some of the swirl removers cost here. They sell quality products, and with the right product combination, tools/pads, and experience the results one can achieve are outright stunning!

AG's customer service is top notch, and the products they produce are top quality as well. That's why I'll remain loyal here.

klumzypinoy
03-18-2007, 03:53 AM
I have a can myself and my friend bought a can from me...he's not in the know about how famous it is. I would tell him about it but it wouldn't awe him. He'd probably think we're weird talking about it :p

supercharged
03-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Hell look at Collinite, their wax will outlast basically any sealant combo save for maybe a full Zanio process or AIO and couple layers of SG. I've had their 915 wax on our other cars for a couple months, the slickness and look is still there, other beauty waxes like Nattys Blue and Souveran after a month or two the slickness and look drop off, but 915 has hung in there, impressed.

I don't know what the hell Collinite uses in their wax but they've figured out how to get a carnauba to last very, very long.
:iagree: :iagree:
Collinite waxes are very durable and are alternative products to #16.
476S might even outlast #16, costs cheaper, and is available at Autogeek.

ScottB
03-18-2007, 10:28 AM
#26 is not the paste wax version of #16. #26 added sythetic polymers into the design and both are considered pastes. #26 does usually look "wetter" intially, but does not keep the durability of #16.

#21 is a synthetic or professional version of NXT. Very similar look in outcome, both are liquids, and both offer a color boost in looks. #21 is said to be more durable than NXT and is now available in smaller size.

ltoman
03-18-2007, 12:10 PM
#26 is not the paste wax version of #16. #26 added sythetic polymers into the design and both are considered pastes. #26 does usually look "wetter" intially, but does not keep the durability of #16.

#21 is a synthetic or professional version of NXT. Very similar look in outcome, both are liquids, and both offer a color boost in looks. #21 is said to be more durable than NXT and is now available in smaller size.
very interesting - and nice to know. these are the kind of things i really like learning here.
thanks scott!
and everyone!:grouphug: