PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat- Orange Peel

Rsurfer
03-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Little puzzled about orange peel. Isn't the orange peel on the base coat and not the clear. If so, how can wet sanding cure this without removing the clear coat. Also, when you polish and wax, aren't you doing this to the clear and not the paint. Can't seem to understand why the color and shine stands out when your not touching the paint itself. Can anyone get me straight on this.Feed back please

6LS2
03-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Because the shine IS the clearcoat. All surface scratches, blemishes etc. are in your clear coat, not your paint. If your clear coat is in good condition with no swirls or scratches, it shows more of the paint, meaning more colour and shine. :)

Rsurfer
03-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Because the shine IS the clearcoat. All surface scratches, blemishes etc. are in your clear coat, not your paint. If your clear coat is in good condition with no swirls or scratches, it shows more of the paint, meaning more colour and shine. :)

So orange peel is in the base paint? I guess the only way to get rid of this is wet sanding and shooting a clear. The reason for this topic is because I see alot of new cars with orange peel. What's up with the new cars and I'm talking about hight end cars such as caddy, lexus, bmw, infiniti etc.

6LS2
03-17-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm pretty sure orange peel is in the clear..

HighEndDetail
03-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty sure orange peel is in the clear..

You are right, the OP is from the CC. When a car is spray'd with paint, it looks kind of like a matte finish( non glossy) then when they spray the clear on the base coat then it appears to shine. Hope that helps. So most of your imperfections are in the clear coat, not down into the base coat.

HighEndDetail
03-17-2007, 10:59 PM
The reason for this topic is because I see alot of new cars with orange peel. What's up with the new cars and I'm talking about hight end cars such as caddy, lexus, bmw, infiniti etc.

Because they are producing high volume. And to produce a vehicle with little to no OP would cost the company more. The smaller number vehicles made mostly come non op. Like viper/ ferrari/lambo and a few others

bambo2888
03-17-2007, 11:35 PM
orange peel is a cross between too much and not properly prepared clear coats.

ltoman
03-18-2007, 12:25 AM
orange peel is me. all over the sides of the vette, but i am just going to let that go.

nick19
03-18-2007, 12:48 AM
OP must be in the CC, because many times I have removed some terrible OP.

Surfer
03-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Because they are producing high volume. And to produce a vehicle with little to no OP would cost the company more. The smaller number vehicles made mostly come non op. Like viper/ ferrari/lambo and a few othersI think its affecting all the exotics now, Vipers were known for their top notch paint job, wet sanded and buffed perfectly at the factory. We had a 96' Gen 2 and no orange peel anywhere, new SRT's now have some noticeable peel. Even Lambo, theres a Lime Green Murci at my office that although looks sick the paint looks like something painted from GM lol. Couple months ago I was behind a black Phantom and only reason I remember it was b/c the black paint in the rear had so much orange peel you couldn't even make out the reflection of my truck sitting behind him at the light.

Stupid VOC regs:mad:

JTS
03-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Consider the clearcoat as a kind of window. As viewed through the clearcoat 'window,' the base coat is dull. What illuminates and adds luster to it are properties in the clearcoat--among them screening agents which screen out ultraviolet rays, which, in conventional car finishes, bleach and fade the color layer. The clear-coat's ultraviolet screening agents also protect the color coat from fading. Conventional finishes have no such protection. So, what you have in the clearcoat is not just a window, but a 'solar window.'
You've got to keep that solar window clean to maintain, in the color finish, what the industry calls 'DOI,'-Distinction of Image. In essence, DOI is the deep gloss you are trying to maintain in your car's finish.

-