PDA

View Full Version : To Wave or Not to Wave...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Reddwarf
03-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Okay, what's the deal with Edge Wave pads vs. not wave? Which is better? I have LC pads now and I'd like to give Edge pads a whirl (pun intended) but I don't know if I should get Wave or not. Does one do better on curves? My car has a lot of curves and it is somethimes hard to get in the curves.

Let the debate begin!

supercharged
03-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Okay, what's the deal with Edge Wave pads vs. not wave? Which is better? I have LC pads now and I'd like to give Edge pads a whirl (pun intended) but I don't know if I should get Wave or not. Does one do better on curves? My car has a lot of curves and it is somethimes hard to get in the curves.

Let the debate begin!
Wave pads give you a little more "bite" and a little longer working time (venting).

Whitethunder46
03-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I have the normal Edge 6" DA pads. I like them a lot, but I'm not 100% fond of the Orange finishing pad. I don't care for the foam too much, it seems very dense and it's very easy to make lop sided. With this said, I put in an order for the 6" Wave Orange pad. I'm hoping this design will keep it flatter and easier to work with. I'll let you know.

nick19
03-18-2007, 12:28 AM
I am in love with the standard 6" pads. I can't see how a "wavy" pad has additional "bite". I thought since more of the pad was touching the paint a flat pad had more "bite" than one with "waves".

That's what I thought anyways and went with that reasioning. There's no going back now.
EDGE pads IMO are the best pads out there. I've used velcro pads before, and they don't even compare.

-Nick :cheers:

Nica
03-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Now that I have a rotary I think that the wave pads are a must, so I've ordered them. I'm pleased with the regular 6" flat pads and from looking at the design and from what I've read the wave pads are better at distributing the heat generated from the rotary/PC and vehicles paint.

So when I get the waved pads and I give it a try on the rotary I'll let you know how it goes.

nick19
03-18-2007, 01:53 AM
I thought the "wave" design allows heat to escape; so why would you want this on a rotary? You WANT the heat from the rotary to break down the compounds. I'm still going to stick with the flat pads with a rotary as well.

orngez
03-18-2007, 03:53 AM
I thought the "wave" design allows heat to escape; so why would you want this on a rotary? You WANT the heat from the rotary to break down the compounds. I'm still going to stick with the flat pads with a rotary as well.

you want the heat from the rotary...just not too much...from what they are saying the wave pattern helps keep the heat even and not all focused in one spot...placing my 6 in wave pad order soon so i can have pads for both my rotary and pc...

nick19
03-18-2007, 03:56 AM
you want the heat from the rotary...just not too much...from what they are saying the wave pattern helps keep the heat even and not all focused in one spot...placing my 6 in wave pad order soon so i can have pads for both my rotary and pc...

I guess.. I'm still going to stick with the flat pads. :)

BILL
03-18-2007, 08:10 AM
I guess.. I'm still going to stick with the flat pads. :)

I have both......LC 6.5 pads for my P.C. And the Edge 2k wave 8" pads for my rotary....

i love them both......L.C 6.5 pads for both machines and the Edge Wave 2K 8' for only the rotary....

The heat from the wave still works the polish fast. the 8" wave is recommended by ARRON from EDGE because 8" the spins faster than the 6' regular pad.. thus more breakdown area and not as hot with the wave

i love them both for what there used for........:) .......

ryandamartini
03-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Waves do not provide more bite than their fellow counterparts. The wave design is meant to go more towards rotary on which heat builds up very quickly. The PC does nowhere the heat disperssion of a rotary, therefore the wave design is not needed.

FOr the PC my final verdict is which STYLE do you like? If you are going to use a rotary as well or learn on one, the ave pads would be a good investment.

-Ryan

Reddwarf
03-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Everyone is mentioning 6" pads. So now I'm even more perplexed. Is 6 inch or 8 inch better for the PC? Doe size matter (ha ha)? I just reread the description of the Wave pads and I see that it states it is designed to dissapate the heat from a "rotary". The first time I read that I was just think PC, but now I see it is not a PC. So, I'm thinking the Wave pads are probably not the best choice for a PC.

So not the decision is 6 or 8 inch? It looks like from reading the different descriptions that the 6 inch durafoam pads are for the PC.

Does that sound right to everyone?

JoeD
03-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes, 6" for PC and 8" or 6" for rotary.

Jimmie
03-18-2007, 12:16 PM
This won't help compare the two, but I remember struggling with the same decision. I got the standard Edge 2K 6" kit and like them. Once you have the adapter for your PC you always have the ability to buy idividual pads. I think that I'll buy one wave pad, try it, and compare. You won't be sorry with the standard.

Nica
03-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I can't remember who but they were saying that the 8" pads were giving them problems with the pads hoping. I've never used the 8" so I don't know I'm just going by what was said here. In addition, my opinion is that the 8" pads would do just fine but in large flat areas like the hood, roof and trunk...I guess all depending on the vehicle your detailing. I like the 6" because you can pretty much get in anywhere with them...well just about.

So to conclude..I'm getting both the 6" and the 8"..nothing wrong with having choices when detailing right hehehehe.

Junebug
03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
8" on the rotary is the way to go, I tried LC 6.5 foam and 8" wool pads, you have better reach with the 8, like a lawn mower with an off-set deck, allows your pad to slip in closer around stuff.