PDA

View Full Version : 8 years old wax question !!!

Webb
04-20-2012, 07:09 PM
I got some 8 years old Meguiars wax that when I tried to put on the pad to wax my car I get more water than wax,looks like the wax is all in the bottom no matter how much I shake the bottle.How to fix to this ? I was thinking of put in a blender to see if that helps.

Thanks

BobbyG
04-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I think it's time to toss this one and pick up something a little fresher....:props:

Webb
04-20-2012, 07:15 PM
That's a gallon.

timaishu
04-20-2012, 07:23 PM
What about getting a metal rod and put on a drill to mix it?

opie_7afe
04-20-2012, 07:34 PM
call up meguiars, but 8 years is a bit old what wax is it?

Klasse Act
04-20-2012, 07:44 PM
That's a gallon.

Well, time to replace a gallon:doh:

Seriously though, you went that long w/o using, just step up and buy one of the many, many products here that are surely waaaaaaaaaaay better anyways:xyxthumbs:

Webb
04-20-2012, 08:05 PM
I guess thanks.

BillyJack
04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
I've got some Meg's polishes and waxes that are older than 8 years and work fine. Take a piece of coat hanger or similar stiff wire, bend a loop in it, chuck it into a drill and have at it. Be patient, as it may take a while. If the product has never been frozen it should come back with enough agitation.

Bill

Webb
04-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks bill,I have an old blender that I don't use anymore,so I will try it.

steved
04-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I found a tub of Meguiar's paste wax that was at least 10 years old. When I opened it let out a stench that was indescribable. Stunk up the whole shop, kind of a synthetic organic kind of a smell. Like rotten milk and acetone. I let it air out, still looks useable. Maybe it is some kind of new product. Aged and seasoned carnuba.

opie_7afe
04-20-2012, 09:04 PM
you didnt answer what wax is it? my paste of m16 which im sure is over 8 years old is still fine, stuff needs to be shaken every so often.

davidc11291
04-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Coat hanger in a drill is a funny idea, but will probably work as long as it doesn't result in an ER visit. I would be concerned that the wax has chemically broken down and degraded maybe, but you asked how to get it mixed back up, so I'll give my answer for what's worked for me. Try putting a gallon or 2 of hot water in a 5 gallon bucket, then letting your gallon of wax sit inside the bucket for about 10 minutes. Then you can either shake it or use the blender or the drill method. When my chemicals separate like that I've had good success heating them up before I shake them, but I've never tried something that's sat for 8 years.

andrew b
04-22-2012, 12:19 PM
I found a tub of Meguiar's paste wax that was at least 10 years old. When I opened it let out a stench that was indescribable. Stunk up the whole shop, kind of a synthetic organic kind of a smell. Like rotten milk and acetone. I let it air out, still looks useable. Maybe it is some kind of new product. Aged and seasoned carnuba.

HAhahahahahaha - that would be awesome, you could package it in a cool old glass-looking bottle (not glass, obviously, so it wouldn't break). Vintage carnuba.

Different years would end up with different ratings, since of course the carnuba harvest would have slight variations in appearance every year....

Im the MAN