PDA

View Full Version : Forum Newbee with the eternal question . . .

STLMustang
03-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Guys and gals;

I own an 03 Mustang GT convertible in Redfire metallic. Up until now I have used Meg's NXT. I love the anti swirl in it, and it does give protection BUT --
It darkens the red color noticeably, and the metalflake doesn't "POP" like I have seen other stangs. I have considered the Klasse' product line, but now coming to this forum I wonder if there other better products I should be considering. The Wolfgang line looks sweet, as does the Pinnacle line. I haven't a garage so my baby is faced with the elements. I'm looking for a wet, "Ruby Red" mirror finish with some durability. ( I know, Iwant it all )

Any suggestions ?
Cliff

ScottB
03-05-2006, 01:43 PM
based on the car being outside to the elements, you are probably going to want to go to a sealant for better durability or a sealant/wax combo. Here would be my first experiment or two:

1. Four Starr UPP --- very reflective sealant. Very slick to the touch. Does not seem to mute the natural color as some sealants. Durability will be better than NXT and colors will look natural.

2. Wolfgang Concours --- warmer appearance and will look more like a carnuba. Durability is reasonable and using the spritz/sealant every couple of weeks should keep it looking nice. Does very well with metallics.

3. Klasse AIO / Souveran --- the Klasse AIO will clean the paint and leave some acylic sealant protection. You can also add a layer of Klasse SG as wanted as it literally seems to only protect and does not add anything other than some gloss to the paint. (darn bulletproof however) Adding Souveran Paste or Nattys Blue will add some serious pop to the red and help with metallic flakes.

or .....

Just use the Pinnacle Souveran paste alone, hell its so easy you can add a coat every week or so as needed. Using Crystal Mist after each wash will keep the sparke and bling alive. You will need to clean the paint and polish as needed prior as this is truly the last of the last stage products. Makes red look dripping, and used it on my silver metallic Vette for years as no better carnuba product alive.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167Picture_007.jpg
Wifes car and test bed for all new products. Custom tint pearl clearcoat over metallic red. I believe this was Klasse and Souveran, but mind has escaped me as I literally try 100's of products.

joe.p
03-05-2006, 03:16 PM
You and wife have to beautiful cars. I realy like the Caddy but the Vette looks to my choice of fun.I recently used Souveran over UPP on a dark blue metalic(no Pics up yet). the paint look good enough with the UPP and when i added the Souveran the car was dripping wet and the flake poped like mad..

STLMustang
03-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanx for the replies gentlemen. Killr -- your bride's CTS is slightly darker than mine, but has a BEAUTIFUL :eek: gloss on it. I wasn't even AWARE of 4 star, it sounds as if this may be my first attempt with soveran as an end coat. I haven't a PC yet so this will be an elbow grease install and 4star sounds like it can be applied this way.:D
As soon as it's done, I'll post pics (before, after clay, after 4star, after souverans)
Cool beans babies ! :cool:

Cliff

ScottB
03-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Here's your combo on black :

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167Vette_008.jpg
UPP and Souveran Paste

Miami_Sunset
03-06-2006, 04:21 AM
nice

5000XD
03-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Here's your combo on black :

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167Vette_008.jpg
UPP and Souveran Paste

OMG, very nice Vet.

STLMustang
03-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Dude, that mirror shine with gloss is what I'm after ! You have thrown the gauntlet sir, I must respond ! Give me a Saint Louis Weekend where I can do my duty. You are the MAN !

Cliff

Wes Bremec
10-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Nice

swanicyouth
10-30-2012, 12:05 PM
OP, keep in mind the best finishes come clean paint (through claying or similar process) and from removing the defects through polishing the paint - and that requires some type of machine work. If your car has been a daily driver and has been kept outside for years, the most dramatic way to improve the finish is to polish it and create a level layer if paint.

I'm not one of those people who insist all waxes and sealants are indistinguishable on paint, but pretty much any quality wax or sealant will look excellent on a defect free (or defect reduced car). A lot of the dripping wet awesome finishes you see in this site come from hours and hours of decontaminating, compounding, and polishing the paintwork - bit from picking the perfect wax/sealant combo. Also, the more expensive LSPs discussed here have little if any fillers or swirl hiding capabilities. You may find that if you skip the polishing/correcting step you NXT may hide swirls better than some others.

Just saying; Get That PC!

Waxmax
10-30-2012, 01:03 PM
I too am a fan of UPP topped with a quality carnauba paste. Souveran is great although some say it mutes flake...and then some say not at all. I'm in the latter group. It will slightly darken red, but the wetness is unsurpassed.

FUNX650
10-30-2012, 01:30 PM
OP,

The OP's OP was: ca. March '06...
Hope he's still listening.

:)

Bob

Waxmax
10-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I do this all the time....lol....2006.