PDA

View Full Version : Should I let them reprint my 2 year old car?

malibuboats91
04-19-2012, 10:41 PM
I recently was backing out of my garage and the garage door came down on my 2010 VW Jetta Wolfsburg. It tore off my shark fin antenna which caused some dents and scratches. I took it into the body shop and they are saying my roof needs to be reprinted. I asked them if it would be possible just to fix the dents and they said it won't look good if they just do that.

Tonight I cleaned the roof all up and looked at it closer. There are 2 deep scratches under the antenna and all the rest are very light and I think I can get them out with my DA.

My insurance is paying for the damage but I am worried that if I let them reprint it the color don't match 100% and the quality won't be the same as factory. In your opinion how does a reprint compare to factory paint jobs? If you were in this situation would you want your car repainted or just flattened out and you correct the scratches yourself?

Here are some pictures:

http://img.tapatalk.com/470a7dba-da9a-7451.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/470a7dba-daa3-adbf.jpg

Now here are the bad scratches. All of them will be covered by my new antenna and I can put touch up paint on them if I don't have the body shop paint my roof
http://img.tapatalk.com/470a7dba-dae2-7947.jpg

davidc11291
04-20-2012, 12:29 AM
The quality of the body shop/painter is gonna be a huge factor in determining which route you want to go. You might want to look at shops that typically do high end custom paint jobs. It's the same as detailing. Some places focus on getting as many cars in and out as fast as they can (and they go too fast to do a good job) and some places charge an arm and a leg but get every little detail as close to perfection as possible. Since the insurance company is paying, I would go for the latter, or try to get a shop that's somewhere in the middle of those 2 examples.

BobbyG
04-20-2012, 06:15 AM
The car is only 2 years old and in good condition. You've sustained some damage to the roof which include both scratches and dents.

I would have a good autobody shop repair and paint it. Ask them to put on a few extra coats of clear while they're spraying it too. :props:

tomsteve
04-20-2012, 07:18 AM
it may be wise to discuss the concern of paint matching with the body shop manager. get it in writing what will happen if the paint doesnt match, but if their painter has a lot of good experience he should be able to easily match up the color.

RTexasF
04-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Reprint? Is that a new term or did you mean repaint?

brlukosk
04-20-2012, 08:32 AM
It looks like most of the dents are under where the antenna would be if replaced?

I'd place a new antenna on the roof to see how it looks. Then use some factory matched touch-up paint to fill in any really deep scratches. You can always wet sand level and buff it out. On the roof I don't think anyone would ever know the damage was there.

If it ended up looking bad you could always take it in and get the pros to take care of it.

Perhaps see what body shops the VW/Audi dealer in town recommend?

malibuboats91
04-20-2012, 09:23 AM
The body shop we go to is a well known shop in town. They do a lot of custom work. I'm just concerned about the overall paint quality and matching the color exactly but I will speak to the manager about that.

The dents are only under the antenna but they need to be flattened out in order to get the antenna to sit flush. Under the antenna is where all the scratches are too.

Also, If I get reprinted, will I still be able to use my meguiars da microfiber system on it each spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaban
04-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Reprint? Is that a new term or did you mean repaint?

+1 im confused

malibuboats91
04-20-2012, 11:20 AM
+1 im confused

Sorry it was a typo... Repaint** Haha I didnt realize the title was wrong too. My iPhone keeps correcting repaint to reprint.

malibuboats91
04-21-2012, 07:42 PM
So I'm getting it fixed by a custom body shop in my city. I noticed some more dents and it was like a halo effect. It happened on each side. Near the rear window it was pulled up and spread out to the sides. $1100 worth the damage and I'm having an extra coat of clear sprayed. Thanks for all the help!