PDA

View Full Version : What is keeping u from coating your car instead of sealant/wax?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

fenderpicks
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Hey guys... i have had this question in mind for a while now.
Honestly i didnt even see anyone talk about the coatings until RECENTLY...
I joined the forum around January and no one ever talked about the coatings.

But anyways, i decided to buy Cquartz, and now i keep arguring with myself if i should coat it or just sealant/wax...
Because i do have a FEW sealant/wax i can use, im a HUGE spender for these stuff lol.

I know OC and CQ both are very good/durable coating.

But i want to know (WHAT IS KEEPING YOU AWAY FROM COATING YOUR CAR?)

Vegas Transplant
04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
The feed your paint mentality. I'm sorta stuck on stupid on this issue.
I also am having a hard time comprehending how a few cc's can scratch resist an entire vehicle.
The draw for me was demonstrated by KC's, and that was the ease of maintenance washes long after 2.0 is applied.

But I am certain that I will have 2.0 applied in time for my summer trip down south...

Setec Astronomy
04-19-2012, 07:58 PM
My large supply of sealants and waxes.

Agfan
04-19-2012, 08:01 PM
I love waxes. More satisfying to me. Nothing wrong with either.

CEE DOG
04-19-2012, 08:08 PM
my large supply of sealants and waxes.

ftw! Rofl

dudesweet
04-19-2012, 08:15 PM
I used OPT Opti-Coat 2.0 on my car when I first bought it. It seemed to me that more finesse was necessary when washing. I had more light scratches and swirls with it than without it.

That said, the performance of the product was amazing! AND during my "test" period, we were getting a ton of rain, so I washed my car much more often than normal. I can also say that I would use it again. But I just love waxing my ride.

Anyway just sharing my experience, and the results may not be directly related to the Opti Coat. But given that I wash my car with angel kisses and dry it with unicorn breath, it's tough to suggest that it's because I just suck at washing. :buffing:

rider9195
04-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Just the joy of waxing my car every so often. The advantages of the coatings do interest me though.

timaishu
04-19-2012, 08:26 PM
I never considered coating my car till very recently. I originally had no plans to coat because, at the time, I loved waxing often and getting that freshly waxed look.

I gave in though once I discovered my clear coat is failing. So I figured now is the time.

Mustang81
04-19-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm scared I'd mess up the process and have a stupid looking car.

WRXINXS
04-19-2012, 08:34 PM
I am afraid of locking in a less than perfect finish because of my newness to machine polishing.

CAMAROZL1
04-19-2012, 08:38 PM
My Camry is commuter from work, to school, and back home I don't like keeping up with it as much as I do with my truck. As much time as i spend on my truck I look at my car and just don't want to put the effort in it. I opti coated it and been pleased with my results.

Robert8194
04-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I am afraid of locking in a less than perfect finish because of my newness to machine polishing.

It does polish off if you mess up. But, it's not that difficult. I was very nervous about messing up until we used the coatings in Boot Camp in January. Of course, it was not MY corvette but it was very easy to apply and came out great. I guess that's why I love Mike's classes because we get to learn about products and techniques.

Jeff120
04-19-2012, 08:43 PM
My large supply of sealants and waxes.

This and its a pretty new technology, Im waiting until I can find on that is truly scratch resistant and will leave the surface looking just waxed.

WRXINXS
04-19-2012, 08:48 PM
It does polish off if you mess up. But, it's not that difficult. I was very nervous about messing up until we used the coatings in Boot Camp in January. Of course, it was not MY corvette but it was very easy to apply and came out great. I guess that's why I love Mike's classes because we get to learn about products and techniques.

I meant prepping the paint (compounding/polishing) before I apply the coating. I'm just not that good at it yet to get a truly swirl free finish.

Vegas Transplant
04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
]I used OPT Opti-Coat 2.0 on my car when I first bought it. It seemed to me that more finesse was necessary when washing. I had more light scratches and swirls with it than without it.

That said, the performance of the product was amazing! AND during my "test" period, we were getting a ton of rain, so I washed my car much more often than normal. I can also say that I would use it again. But I just love waxing my ride.

Anyway just sharing my experience, and the results may not be directly related to the Opti Coat. But given that I wash my car with angel kisses and dry it with unicorn breath, it's tough to suggest that it's because I just suck at washing. :buffing:

This is what i deciphered from reading ol' dude from the upstate thread all the way through concerning this issue. Seems that Chris@Optimum was less than forgiving on the hype concerning 2.0. And I was most impressed with his posts.

All in all hand, I will probably go with the opti-seal spray as opposed to the coating.