PDA

View Full Version : for a first polisher..

Pages : [1] 2

SON1C
04-19-2012, 06:51 PM
I was planning on going with the GG, but everyone loves the flex/moves up to it, would i be wrong to start there? what is the warranty on it? I just thought DA's are foolproof whereas the flex is not/for experts

BobbyG
04-19-2012, 06:59 PM
There's nothing mythical about the Flex 3401 polisher. It's well designed, expertly manufactured, reliable, durable, and very easy to use. I think the biggest detraction if the cost which it close to double that of a Porter Cable 7424 type polisher...

SON1C
04-19-2012, 07:12 PM
People who I've talked to say the GG is a more powerful/better machine than the PC and it also has a lifetime warranty?

umi000
04-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I've no intention of "moving up" to a Flex 3401 from my G110v2 :) I have tried it, and I didn't really like using it - and I also feel that with the MF pads and today's compounds, the performance gap due to the Flex's forced rotation has been considerably narrowed, if not completely closed. If ever I step up from my DA, it would be to a rotary.

SON1C
04-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Bump what does everyone recommend for a first polisher

Setec Astronomy
04-20-2012, 08:23 AM
I'd have to agree with umi000 that the MF pad system has closed the correction gap between the traditional DA's and the Flex 3401. The big advantage that the Flex has is the trigger control, countered by the fact that the forced-rotation makes it want to walk a bit in certain situations.

The regular DA's also have a little more backing plate flexibility. I have both, if I had to pick one to start with I think it would be the regular DA.

NYCLR3
04-20-2012, 08:31 AM
I just used my GG with 5" backing plate for the first time and I thought it was idiot proof, well it was. I have a year old car that didn't need correction so I used a combo of SF4000 on a white pad and Powerlock on a grey pad. I was actually very surprised and wasn't ready for power of the machine. The learning curve as others have stated is very quick and I feel the more I use it the better and faster the process will become. You can't go wrong with this machine, but that is coming from someone who will never be more than a hobbyist.

Danube
04-20-2012, 09:43 AM
People who I've talked to say the GG is a more powerful/better machine than the PC and it also has a lifetime warranty?

If I'm to buy my first DA - that would be the GG. The learning curve starts right there (in my case it was a G220).

:xyxthumbs:

Old Tiger
04-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Bump what does everyone recommend for a first polisher

I'd have to agree with umi000 that the MF pad system has closed the correction gap between the traditional DA's and the Flex 3401. The big advantage that the Flex has is the trigger control, countered by the fact that the forced-rotation makes it want to walk a bit in certain situations.

The regular DA's also have a little more backing plate flexibility. I have both, if I had to pick one to start with I think it would be the regular DA.
I agree with both. The Flex with a 6.25 Optimum Cutting pad will do things a lot faster. For a Hobbyist on a budget I would go GG. The Flex is an acquired taste. None of my buddies here prefer the Flex over the GG.

TimmyG
04-20-2012, 10:39 AM
I thought long and hard about getting a GG before purchasing my PC7424XP. Honestly, the stories of premature failure and pad damage scared me away. I'd love to purchase a GG but not until I master the PC. With the new microfiber correction pads, the PC is able to do everything I need it to.

07gtcs
04-20-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm a newb and got the PC as that was the talk of the town and had great reviews when I bought it. I've used it twice now and it gets easier to use each time.

SON1C
04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Okay so say I go with the gg, what pads? I was thinking the uber flat pads, then 105 205 po85 as my polishes to begin with

walletless
04-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Flat pads are fine.. some people rave the hydrotech pads too.

I have heard few people do not like the CCS pads.. I have never tried them.

AG sells a 6-pack kit of "you choose" pads.. Last time I ordered, I bought 2 orange, 2 white, and 2 black pads.. that should help with cutting, polishing, and finishing.

SON1C
04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Bump

umi000
04-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Meg's MF cutting discs for compounding, and low-profile Lake Country 5.5" tangerine and crimson Hydrotechs for polishing and finishing.