PDA

View Full Version : Garden Hose Quick Release? Which one do you have?

Kaban
04-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone here uses a quick release (quick disconnect) hose fitting for detailing?

Is there a particular one I should get or would any one from a hardware store work fine?

TRILLIS
04-19-2012, 04:05 PM
All brass fittings = no leaks for me and a good quality kink resistant hose both a bit more expensive but worth it imo. Nozzles are a whole other story, am yet to find one that lasts.

SON1C
04-19-2012, 04:19 PM
ive been planning on picking up the gilmour one

poweraid
04-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I picked up the Gilmore quick connect , when i got a foam gun . I needed more fittings and I saw at my local hardware joint they have just about the same thing so I thought. different brand but they just wouldn't work together . Looks the same . I switched all over to what I can get locally . cheaper too . made by orbit .

dsottum
04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
I picked up some brass ones from Home Depot and Lowe's. I have one female fitting that automatically shuts off when you disconnect, and another female fitting that will let it free flow (I have another manual shut off valve in line with this one). I put male QD fittings on everything from my foam cannon to my lawn mower, just make sure you throw some teflon (plumber's) tape on the male connections and you're golden.

The only thing I would suggest is (if possible) get a female connector that has a textured metal part where you slide it down to disconnect instead of the rubber one. The rubber one I have constantly slips off and becomes a pain in the butt.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/879686/879686002185xl.jpg (http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3111057&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-PreciseFit%20Brass%20Quick%20Disconnect%20Garden%2 0Hose%20Adapter%20Set&CAWELAID=1151834704)
This is the good one, the rubber one has a rubber ring/sleeve around it and it likes to slip off.

Also, pick up a handful of male connections, you'll end up throwing them on everything.

A.P.A.D.
04-19-2012, 05:33 PM
cheap brass ones from lowes! works great. no nozzle needed with the turn off valve brass connector either. no more trying to find a nozzle i like or that will last!

SON1C
04-19-2012, 05:45 PM
what are all of the pieces needed to make it work from lowes?

oldmodman
04-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I have been using these;

Brass Quick Connector Set (http://www.autogeek.net/brqucoset.html)

That I got here on Autogeek at least four years ago. I have left them out in the sun all that time, dropped them on concrete, and even driven over them with a car.
The only thing that has ever gone wrong with any of them is one has corroded into a fire nozzle and I can't get it out. But it still quick releases on and off a hose, so what do I care.

They still work perfectly. And I bought them on BOGO too!

ScottB
04-19-2012, 07:22 PM
I have the Dramm 300 and connections.