PDA

View Full Version : How is my prices/packages

SheldonH
04-19-2012, 03:00 PM
I have been detailing cars for four or so years now, and i have done it for a few friends and family for a fair price. But now im wanting to do it for customers.

My customer base is going to be ALL daily drivers, and normal working class people.

Here is what i had in mind.

Wash and Wax=50 for cars 65 for Trucks,Suvs, Vans
Includes interior wipe down, vaccum, carpet clean.
Exterior wash, clay, and one step cleaner/wax what im using is (XMT 360)
Tires dressed, and windows cleaned.
This roughly take me 3 to 4 hours.

The above is going to be my main package.

If i have a few regular customers im going to offer after they have a wash and wax a simple maintance wash for 30 for cars 40 for suv.

so it would work like this, John gets his trucked washed and wax on April 1, then till May 1 he can get it washed and interior vaccumed and wiped for 40. After May 1 i would recommend him getting waxed again and if he is becoming a regular i might knock ten dollars off or so.

What do you think?? Suggestions?? Please keep in mind the people and community im working in?? Daily Drivers only. THIS IS ONLY GOING TO BE A PART TIME OUT OF MY GARAGE DETAILING BUSINESS BECAUSE I ENJOY DETAILING.

Flannigan
04-19-2012, 03:03 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/48798-small-guide-how-set-prices-when-starting-detailing-business-tlc-auto-detail.html

SON1C
04-19-2012, 03:10 PM
too cheap

svtcobra97
04-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Seems to me that the market controls prices and the work that one detailer earns $50 for, another detailer, in another location, may earn $100. If you are truly doing this as a hobby/part time income what difference does the rate really matter if you are enjoying the work.

ForceField
04-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Well let's put it this way: If you have more customers than you can handle, your prices are too low. If you don't have enough customers, your prices are too high.

Tundra_10
04-19-2012, 04:48 PM
SheldonH,
I have to preface this comment as you do not know me or have not had any interaction with me. I try my best to make sure my comments are unbiased, yet focused on my jaded past experiences. I want people to learn from my mistakes so I can better aid them in their quest. I try not to offend or be judgmental. I try not to pry or put down anyones thoughts, ideas or suggestions. So with that being said...

The venture you are after is a hobby of yours, its something you enjoy doing. With that being said, its hard for anyone to put a monetary value on YOUR happiness or what you are satisfied receiving. There are many professional detailers on this site, maybe some in your immediate area that can tell you what pricing is good for your area. What matters more to you though, the fun of working on cars or the compensation you get for it?

My dad got a job at a family restaurant as a bus-boy after he retired from work. He did not need a job but was bored at home and loved the social aspect of having a little part-time job. He used to go to walmart and buy bags of candy that he brought to work to give to the waitresses and the little kids that came by to eat. With gas money and the candy he bought he probably spent more then he made, did this for 10 years before it just became too much for his body to be able to handle.

I hope you see where I am getting at with this, if its your passion, only you know what is a good price for what you will be doing. If this is for a living and you are looking to support yourself on it, then maybe you will want to find out what detailers on here are in your area or a similar economical status as yours and adjust your prices accordingly.

Vegas Transplant
04-19-2012, 04:57 PM
I have been detailing cars for four or so years now, and i have done it for a few friends and family for a fair price. But now im wanting to do it for customers

My customer base is going to be ALL daily drivers, and normal working class people.

Here is what i had in mind.

Wash and Wax=50 for cars 65 for Trucks,Suvs, Vans
Includes interior wipe down, vaccum, carpet clean.
Exterior wash, clay, and one step cleaner/wax what im using is (XMT 360)
Tires dressed, and windows cleaned.
This roughly take me 3 to 4 hours.

Seems to me that you already understand your market and pricepoint.

The above is going to be my main package.

If i have a few regular customers im going to offer after they have a wash and wax a simple maintance wash for 30 for cars 40 for suv.

so it would work like this, John gets his trucked washed and wax on April 1, then till May 1 he can get it washed and interior vaccumed and wiped for 40. After May 1 i would recommend him getting waxed again and if he is becoming a regular i might knock ten dollars off or so.

What do you think?? Suggestions?? Please keep in mind the people and community im working in?? Daily Drivers only. THIS IS ONLY GOING TO BE A PART TIME OUT OF MY GARAGE DETAILING BUSINESS BECAUSE I ENJOY DETAILING.

Smart business move hand. Maintenance schedules is what one should be striving for.
Dedicated customers for dedicated services. :xyxthumbs:

darkstar752
04-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Where are you located?

That's way too cheap either way. $50 for 4 hours, + product cost and you're barely above minimum wage. Actually probably below it with the cost of clay. You're going to need to put most of the money back into your business, buying extractors, more chemicals, etc so making min. wage is going to go really slow and you're going to need to increase it once you get insurance, along with having a reserve amount(~1-2k) in case you do any damage without insurance.

Charge more. See what the dealerships are charging in your area, along with the detail shops and then charge $10-30 less than what they do until you build up your customer base. Just to give you an idea of what I charge, it's basic interior/exterior, wash/clay/wax no polishing. $170 cars, $220 SUV's. ~3-5 hours. Do it out my garage, same as you. Then there's paint correction packages that are higher(~350avg 1step).

Charge higher, then say it will be less the next time since you'll be maintaining it. So 200, then 80 to maintain or something.

darkstar752
04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Well let's put it this way: If you have more customers than you can handle, your prices are too low. If you don't have enough customers, your prices are too high.

That's a good analogy. I am typically backed up ~1.5-2 weeks, once I hit 3-4 weeks back-up I'll raise my prices by $20 or so.

conthedon
04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
I would take off clay and AIO one step for $50

RhetoricMixes
04-19-2012, 06:51 PM
I would take off the clay, AIO and carpet cleaning and then id say you got a good package going there. Upsell the clay and the AIO and youll be making much more profit in the long run.

conthedon
04-19-2012, 07:10 PM
I would take off the clay, AIO and carpet cleaning and then id say you got a good package going there. Upsell the clay and the AIO and youll be making much more profit in the long run.

i agree with above.

I will be doing something similar as you in my neighborhood as a hobby detailer in the next couple of weeks. I would get similar clients to you, the normal wash-wax, daily driving crowd. What I offer in my wash-wax package.

50 and up

Hand wash & Dry
Exterior

Wash & Dry Wheels/Rims

Apply Quick Detailer/Gloss Enhancer
to Exterior Surfaces

Clean Windows
(Inside & Out)

Vacuum Carpet Mats

Apply Tire Dressing

Apply Spray wax

Vegas Transplant
04-19-2012, 08:42 PM
The only negative that I see is that you are willing to do 3-4 hours work at one price, then charge roughly half that amount to do a simple in/out.

Oh yeah, need to look at smaller interval for maintenance wash. Shoot for weekly or bi-weekly.

You seem to have your market locked in, now for your prices.