PDA

View Full Version : Funky Smell???!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

hoyt66
04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I picked up used car. I used a bissel pro heat carpet cleaner to shampoo the seats and carpet. I know thats not the best cleaner but I did pull alot of dirty water out of

it. Went over it twice and let it air dry for 2 days (open windows and doors ). I used pet odor and stain eliminator shampoo. Then I let a Dakota new car scent bomb

off in it over night. It smells ok but still some funk.It's like a sour smell. Spoiled milk??HELP. Thanks

Old Tiger
04-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Car Pro So Pure should do the trick. It reads like Junk Science but I swear it works as advertised for me!

Vegas Transplant
04-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Even though the carpet felt dry to the touch, the backing was probably saturated and did not dry. Thus the sour smell.

Solution? Involves carpet removal to get to the source.
While a bomb and other sprays will mask the smell for a period. The sourness will still be present.

ScubaCougr
04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Even though the carpet felt dry to the touch, the backing was probably saturated and did not dry. Thus the sour smell.

Solution? Involves carpet removal to get to the source.
While a bomb and other sprays will mask the smell for a period. The sourness will still be present.

:iagree:

You can test this theory by pulling the bottom door trim and feeling underneath the carpet for moisture in the footwells before going with a full removal. You might get lucky and it's only one area that needs to be lifted and dried under the carpet instead of a complete removal.

Bates Detailing
04-18-2012, 09:37 PM
If a full detail on your interior doesn't remove the smell - an ozone generator should do the trick...... if you cannot afford one - Im sure a local detailer would have one and let them know it has been detailed, and that you really just need 25 minutes of their time. If someone called me asking for that I would honestly just swing by, plug it in, have a nice conversation, unplug, then say have a nice day - no charge..... could just be me though.

Vegas Transplant
04-18-2012, 09:40 PM
:iagree:

You can test this theory by pulling the bottom door trim and feeling underneath the carpet for moisture in the footwells before going with a full removal. You might get lucky and it's only one area that needs to be lifted and dried under the carpet instead of a complete removal.
^^^
True.

I have also experienced the sour smell coming from fabrics and carpets that soured topically due to bacteria and slow drying process. Sorta like leaving clothes in the washer overnight. If this is the case the reshampoo and use fans with open doors and windows to speed up the process.

storm100
04-19-2012, 12:05 AM
If a full detail on your interior doesn't remove the smell - an ozone generator should do the trick...... if you cannot afford one - Im sure a local detailer would have one and let them know it has been detailed, and that you really just need 25 minutes of their time. If someone called me asking for that I would honestly just swing by, plug it in, have a nice conversation, unplug, then say have a nice day - no charge..... could just be me though.
I agree. Works for me everytime.

hoyt66
04-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the ideas. Going to check that before work this morning.

CEE DOG
04-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Car Pro So Pure should do the trick. It reads like Junk Science but I swear it works as advertised for me!

I agree! Jim said it all right there :dblthumb2:

bigdriver4u
04-19-2012, 07:37 AM
I can't remember the product but home depot sales it. It's a dry chemical that extracts moisture out of the air. Normally you can put these in closets. It's works wonders overnight.

shoeless89
04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
I can't remember the product but home depot sales it. It's a dry chemical that extracts moisture out of the air. Normally you can put these in closets. It's works wonders overnight.

You should try to find out what that is so I don't have to do the research lol

EPA7
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
It's "Dry-Z-Air", and it works great for extracting moisture from the air. You can get it in bags that can be hung from the head rests, or a bowl that rests on the floor. If the funk is bacterial, though, the smell will keep coming back unless you kill what's causing it.

bigdriver4u
04-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Now that's just good humor.. :xyxthumbs:

umi000
04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Enzyme cleaner, like those sold by pet stores?

Robert8194
04-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Enzyme cleaner, like those sold by pet stores?

The pet urine cleaners work great for any organic stain.