PDA

View Full Version : Spot Compounding????

rweekley
04-18-2012, 07:19 PM
I've got a question. Say you have some deeper scratches on your vehicle only in certain spots.

Can you just use a compound like Megs 105 in spots instead of doing the whole vehicle/whole panel?

For example say you just have 2 or 3 spots that require a more aggressive product/pad, lets say Megs 105 and a orange pad. Can you just do like a 2x2 area with Megs 105 and a orange pad to get rid of the deeper scratches, instead of doing the whole panel with the 105 and orange pad. Or do you all recommend doing the whole panel and car with 105 and the orange pad to keep the clear coat even.

Just wondering.

Old Tiger
04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Compound spots to save clear!

rweekley
04-18-2012, 07:43 PM
So just spot compounding is fine?

Old Tiger
04-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Yes provided you use a polish on the whole panel afterwards!

Danube
04-18-2012, 08:03 PM
If you don't use a polish at the end the surface may look uneven ..

Kristopher1129
04-18-2012, 08:39 PM
I spot compound ALL the time. In fact, I have a package that includes spot compounding. Just make sure you polish those spots out. Nothing wrong with it.

Compounding a whole vehicle isn't something all customers want to pay up for. So, if you wanna impress tons of customers...take out those particular scuffs and scratches within reason. They'll love it!

Bates Detailing
04-18-2012, 08:44 PM
This doesn't produce an abnormal clarity or swirl reduction compared to the other panels for you guys?? I tell customers that I can hit a scratch or panel for them, but let them know that the panel or area will look much better than the rest of the car - that is when I normally up sell a 2 or 3 step pretty easily.

Kristopher1129
04-18-2012, 08:48 PM
This doesn't produce an abnormal clarity or swirl reduction compared to the other panels for you guys?? I tell customers that I can hit a scratch or panel for them, but let them know that the panel or area will look much better than the rest of the car - that is when I normally up sell a 2 or 3 step pretty easily.

Well obviously, if there were any swirls there...they'd be gone from that one particular spot. But, so will the scuff or scratch...which in theory is all I would be intending to do.

I do the same thing, I attempt to upgrade the customer and tell them doing an entire panel, and not the rest would provide different results in comparison to the rest of the vehicle. But, in a lot of cases they only wanna spend X amount. So, therefore that's all they get is a repair sort of speak.

BillE
04-19-2012, 07:33 AM

Exactally!

Even though I am NOT in the business, I have a lot of "Ask Bill for help" situations. I just tell them that 'the spot' will look better than the rest of the vehicle. I make them a deal for some beer or burgers and then enjoy doing their car.

Bill