PDA

View Full Version : Is duragloss 111 acrylic?

Pages : [1] 2

lkotsios
04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Is the compound polyaminosiloxane found in duragloss products acrylic?

FUNX650
04-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Is the compound polyaminosiloxane found in duragloss products acrylic?

Curious why you need to know this. Anyway...

-Acid-based Duragloss #105 does have: acrylic polyaminosiloxane (polyethylene-acrylic).

-We'll have to investigate a little further for the other Duragloss car care products.

-They seem to be good products, though.

:)

Bob

lkotsios
04-17-2012, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=FUNX725;657341]Curious why you need to know this. Anyway...

-Acid-based Duragloss #105 does have: acrylic polyaminosiloxane (polyethylene-acrylic).

-We'll have to investigate a little further for the other Duragloss car care products.

Bob[/QUOTE I am trying to avoid acrylics.

rwright
04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Curious why you need to know this. Anyway...

Bob

Bob, why did you call DG 105 acid based?

lkotsios
04-17-2012, 08:07 PM
I think acrylic sealants are made with acrylic acid. Thats what gives them their bond to the paint rather than cross linking like other sealants.

duck_commander
04-17-2012, 08:28 PM
excuse me for my ignorance, but is an acrylic sealant more harsh on the paint than a cross linking sealant?

rwright
04-17-2012, 08:41 PM
If they are acid based and that's how they bond to the paint, wouldn't that etch the paint to a degree? Especially with repeated use? Sounds like it's time for a call to Duragloss. I just can't imagine them producing something that would be harmful to paint.

duck_commander
04-17-2012, 09:07 PM
^^^ i'd be interested in what information you get from Jerry at DG... Could you please pass it on to me / us?

FUNX650
04-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Bob, why did you call DG 105 acid based?

From what I've learned over the years...(But I could well be mistaken)...
Most acrylic polyaminosiloxane (polyethylene-acrylic) based products are acid-based...

1. Supposed to mean they''ll hold up better to acidic pollutants (for example: acid rain, bird excrement, fallout).
2. An acrylic acid will etch into the paint. This is what allows/enables a type of "molecular bonding" with the paint, giving it durability.

BTW: I believe Klasse/Werkstatt to be acrylic-based also.

Bob

rwright
04-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Very interesting to learn the chemistry behind our products. The etching must be very minute, so much that it can't be picked up by the human eye alone. You're a pretty smart cookie Bob, that's why I like reading your posts. :)

I will report back what I learn tomorrow.

FUNX650
04-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Very interesting to learn the chemistry behind our products. The etching must be very minute, so much that it can't be picked up by the human eye alone. You're a pretty smart cookie Bob, that's why I like reading your posts. :)

I will report back what I learn tomorrow.

-Minor etching...Very true.
-The acrylic acid portion provides an additional constituant, which in turn results in additional durability
-There is no cross-linking with polyethylene-acrylics. (Can't be effectively 'layered')

Also: Thanks in advance for your follow-up researching into this matter!

Bob

rwright
04-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Great news! No Duragloss products are acrylic based. Also, acrylic based may contain acid but not enough to etch paint.

TornadoRed
04-18-2012, 07:20 PM
That's good news Richard. Unfortunately this (mis)information has been put in a few threads.

duck_commander
04-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks Richard! :)

FUNX650
04-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Great news! No Duragloss products are acrylic based. Also, acrylic based may contain acid but not enough to etch paint.

That's good news Richard. Unfortunately this (mis)information has been put in a few threads.

-HMMM...I wonder what kind of polyaminosiloxane is in DG#105?
-Are all acrylics acid-based...even acrylic resins?

http://www.duragloss.com/documents/MSDS%20105,106.pdf

Just curious, I suppose.

Bob