PDA

View Full Version : In-car detailing survival kit contents

andrew b
04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi folks,

I'm going to be going on a road trip in a few weeks, am starting to figure out what to pack in the car (limited space, must be conservative) to take with me to keep things shiny and me sane over 12 days.

Soliciting input on what you'd take or include. So far, haven't done much than brainstorm, but I'm thinking:

- a few misc MF towels - paint(2or 3), wheels(1), general(2)
- small bottle of ONR to use in case I want to ice-bucket wash :)
- spray bottle of QD-strength UWW+
- small spray bottle of DP total interior cleaner
- small bottle of Klasse AIO (clean/spot protect just in case) and a foam applicator

What would you add/subtract, and why?

wgilles
04-16-2012, 03:30 PM
If you haven't already you could put the KAIO on now and leave it at home...I don't think you'll see much benefit using it as a "touch up"

Otherwise, looks good.

shoeless89
04-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I would bring enough ONR for 1-2 washes depending on how sane you wanna be lol At least 3 MF's for each wash to be safe. And of course you'll need a drying towel. Or to conserve more space you could just bring UWW+ and do a couple waterless washes. I wouldn't really worry about the KAIO, because like wgilles stated, I don't think you'll see much benefit. If you have room I would bring a spray wax or sealant instead of the KAIO.

Richard Baas
04-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Glad to see I am not the only one that keeps an emergency kit for when we travel with others and need the luggage space. Thank goodness I have some space in my SUV below the main back floor to "hide" things for "Just in Case"

BWG707
04-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Glad you posted this. I'm also in the process of putting together a traveling kit. I'm trying to get everything to fit into 1 wash bucket. The products you listed, minus the AIO, are the same as what I was thinking. I'm not going to worry about any tire cleaners or protectants, I'll clean and protect them well before I leave and wait til I'm back home to take care of them again. The wheels I will want to clean. You might want to take something for your windows.

andrew b
04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
So I looks like I should explain the thinking behind the AIO....

I'm talking a little tiny 3 ounce bottle. I don't use AIO anymore for LSP, right now the car has WG DGPS on it. But I do find myself periodically reaching for just 2 or 3 drops of AIO to clean off something that has stuck (or has the potential to stick) to the paint, wheels, or glass....the thinking being it's a chemical cleaner, but also leaves a little bit of acrylic sealant, as opposed to a paint cleaner that might strip the LSP and not leave anything....

I've used it successfully to remove stubborn bugs and even tar and unidentified gunk (I think gum?). And knowing that it's not leaving the paint "naked" is some comfort.

Also, 1 drop on a water-saturated foam pad makes cleaning glass amazingly easy....wipe it on, buff it off as it's drying.

So that's the idea on the AIO - essentially, an emergency cleaner with sealant built in :)

Figured on 3 ounces of ONR, and a full-sized spray bottle of UWW+ at QD/WW dilution strength.

3 16x16 Cobra deluxe towels and the huge Cobra Delux (25"x36") for paint treatment/drying....a 16"x16" black wheel towel, and a couple smaller general purpose.

I've found the DP total interior cleaner to work really well on everything it's supposed to...so that covers interior leather/rubber/plastic/vinyl/carpet/mats. An AG sample sized bottle of it will be plenty.

I, too, am just going to treat the tires well before I leave and not mess with dressing for them. They'll stay black that long unless it rains the whole time, in which case it doesn't matter :)

I already carry a 16x16 towel and the UWW+ spray in the trunk, so this other stuff won't add that much.

With this, I suspect I will be able to have a nicely detailed car even in the parking lot of a hotel using a couple ice buckets for water (for rinseless) or just waterless washing.

Oh, think I may also throw in the CA Duster. I know some people don't like them, but I've never had mine cause marring, on 4 different dark colored cars (2 black, 2 dark blue). So if the pollen stays like it is, that will help. And maybe my Swiffer and 3 or 4 pads for it (I use it to remove brake dust between washes, works great). It takes almost no space.

And here's what's making the trip - did pretty much a full detail (including polish with Optimum Finish Polish on a white pad followed by WG DGPS hand applied):

http://photos.imageevent.com/j_andrew/avatars/IMG_3159_DPP_web.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/j_andrew/avatars/IMG_3154_DPP_web.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/j_andrew/avatars/IMG_3157_DPP_web.JPG