PDA

View Full Version : wash car after m105/205 ?

MaxTL
04-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Hey Everyone, I just finished my first M105/205 job on my black lexus it came out amazing! I know the next step is LSP/Wax but so I wash the car before I go to this step or go with a 50/50 Isopro wipe ?

Thanks !

Klasse Act
04-16-2012, 08:04 AM
I always wash and rinse down the car really well after using a polish, gets all the dust off and out of all the little nooks and crannies they always seem to end up in. Not only that, but when you go to dry the car, it just evens things out....especially on black!

LuxuryMobile
04-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Just like KlasseAct said, a wash will get the dust out from the tight spots. Share some pictures with us when you get it all done.

SON1C
04-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Carpro paint cleaner?

Shouldn't this be used after every step, and does m105 get worked away as you apply or no?

Mike Phillips
04-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Hey Everyone, I just finished my first M105/205 job on my black lexus it came out amazing! I know the next step is LSP/Wax but so I wash the car before I go to this step or go with a 50/50 Isopro wipe ?

Thanks !

Either washing or chemically stripping is optional.

Personally... I don't wash a car after I polish it. I have in the past but I don't do it as a practice.

I don't like getting the car all wet again and if it's a classic or antique it's generally not a good idea to introduce water to cars like these as it's a rust problem. I share that in the first episode of our second season of "What's in Autogeek's Garage".

What's in Autogeek's Garage - Episode 1 - Season 2

What's in Autogeek's Garage - Episode 1 - Season...

Washing
Besides that it takes time, time to "carefully" wash and time to "carefully" dry, both pose the potential risk of re-introducing swirls and scratches if you're not careful. I practice reducing the potential for instilling swirls and scratches as much as I can.

Chemically Stripping
Each person has to decide this for themselves, I cover this topic in DETAIL in the below articles.

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/997/MixingIPA008a.jpg

:)

Mustang81
04-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I'll usually use a QD to get rid of the dust in some of the worst areas. Mostly the hood as it seems to like to collect there for some reason.

bigez
04-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I also think maybe a MasterBlaster could be used to blow off some dust?....(but haven't tried this yet).

MaxTL
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks everyone, would you suggest just regular car wash or would Dawn be required again ?

TimmyG
04-16-2012, 02:15 PM
I use Carpro Eraser to strip all of the remaining polishing oils then go straight to my sealant and LSP.

Mike Phillips
04-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone, would you suggest just regular car wash or would Dawn be required again ?

If the goal is to just get the car dust and polish residue free, then a normal car wash would be a good choice because a good quality car wash offers excellent lubricating characteristics.

If the goal is to strip the paint of any polishing oils then a detergent wash would be a better choice as some car washes also contain some ingredients to leave the paint shiny and/or slick feeling and this could defect the purpose of stripping the finish.

If you haven't already, read through this article...

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

:xyxthumbs:

SkateForGirl
04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
I always wash after a polish. Just to get the dust off.

Kaiser37
04-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Can ONR be used after m205 to remove oils...? hehe