PDA

View Full Version : at what point in your detail do you wash your wheels?

Pages : [1] 2 3

SON1C
04-15-2012, 09:06 PM
and with what products?

habeba86
04-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I clean the wheels/tires/fender wells first with megs apc + and a few brushes.

oldmodman
04-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Wheels and wheel well are cleaned first.

Then I do lower rockers and lower half of body panels. That way any dangling MF towels only rub across clean bits.

Bates Detailing
04-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Wheels, wheel wells, tires are all cleaned and shined first - main reason being that I want no over spray on paint after spending so much time making it look good :dblthumb2:

Zipblu23
04-15-2012, 11:53 PM
and with what products? The Wheels are the One thing I do first. I use Red hot cut down for tires,rims,jams,Motor bay. Then I wash the car or truck with a two bucket wash system with micro wash mitts and then follow up with drying the car with water got that from junkman2000 on youtube.

Kaban
04-15-2012, 11:56 PM
tires wheels weel wells always first like they said. use a seperate bucket for them if you are not using a wheel cleaner

timaishu
04-16-2012, 01:11 AM
First like the others have said.

That way you eliminate possible overspray from chemicals and water from rising.

ProMoDe
04-16-2012, 02:10 AM
First. Depending on the wheel I use meg's wheel brightener, or full effect, or iron x with daytona speed brushes and a boars hair brush. Tires and wheel wells get OPC and meg's SD.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

BobbyG
04-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Interior
Door Jams
Engine Bay
Wheels & Tires
Exterior Surfaces
Exterior Glass
Plastic & Rubber Trim
Tire Dressing

Meguiar's Super Degreaser or Amazing Roll-Off for tires
Iron-X, Chemical Guys Diablo, Meguiar's Wheel Brightener for wheels.

PA DETAILER
04-16-2012, 06:33 AM
INDEED. i do them first. then while the jeep is still wet from washing, i will dry the wheels. dress the tires. dress the fender wells. then start drying off the jeep.

LC2ner
04-16-2012, 06:38 AM
I clean mine first-use Sonax FE. I just make sure to keep the wet while washing. Truth told, I prefer to take them off during the detail to give a nice clean and even gloss coating...but I don't always have time.

CEE DOG
04-16-2012, 07:35 AM
It depends, preferably first.

With what?:

On my Sky I use Ultima Paint Guard Wash same as the rest of the car. I use various brushes to be sure i left no brake dust. Then I protect with PP via spray bottle to the wells, calipers, cv, anything I can hit really... Then rinse, blow with master blaster, and move to the next. UTTG is also another wheel and well protector of choice for me on any vehicle including the Sky.. PP is so expensive when I'm out I will likely go back to UTTG as much as I'll miss PP for my calipers and drums.

On my daily drivers and customer cars I use to use Iron X and Amazing Roll off, or HD Wheel cleaner and Amazing Roll off.

Just ran out of that last gallon of ARO though and my most generous pops (no doubt trying to amend for his years of abandonment) sent a gallon of Brown Royale to my house!!!

SO, now for the nasty wheels it will be Brown Royale, TRIX, IX, or Griots HD wheel cleaner.

Mike Phillips
04-16-2012, 07:42 AM
I made a video in 2006 that explains why to wash wheels and tires first and then recently Matt Steel and I made a video on how to detail a car and we share these reasons in this video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xpgWnWbWfY&hd=1]Mike Phillips & Matt Steele - How To Detail Your Car with Pinnacle Natural Brilliance - YouTube[/video]

:xyxthumbs:

Flannigan
04-16-2012, 08:04 AM
I usually do it first, always if I'm just doing a wash and wax. However, if I am doing a full correction, sometimes I wait since I know I'm going to wash the vehicle again to remove the polishing oils and dust. Kinda just depends on the mood I'm in...I really hate cleaning wheels....

vet
04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
I do the wheels first, unless doing an ONR, then they are last.

I ue a cleaner and brush for tires and wheels as necessary. If the wheels are coated with a sealant, cleaner isn't usually needed. Same with tires.