PDA

View Full Version : Found something to help me get more use out of my AG supplies

flyinion
04-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Better tires so I can do more off-roading to get the Jeep dirty so I can play with product to clean it back up!!! Im the MANIm the MAN

Disclaimer: Yes I'm sick and I know it lol..........

Old ones are on the left (stock from the factory), new ones are on the right.

http://www.metallic-raven.com/jeep_tires.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ
04-15-2012, 09:11 AM
you are going to love the duratracs !

i went from stock BFG "rugged" trails on my frontier.... to these GYs

i love them, the one major snow during the winter was no problem with the new meats

Tundra_10
04-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Once my BFG's wear down I think I am going with the Falkin Wildpeak A/T's... which are these and why did you choose this tire over other brands? Reading reviews on tires is dizzying because there is no good all-around good tire. One is better in snow vs wet road vs mud vs dry vs handling vs road noise, blah, blah, blah.

habeba86
04-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Im puttin duratracs on my xj here soon too!!! They look sweet!

flyinion
04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Once my BFG's wear down I think I am going with the Falkin Wildpeak A/T's... which are these and why did you choose this tire over other brands? Reading reviews on tires is dizzying because there is no good all-around good tire. One is better in snow vs wet road vs mud vs dry vs handling vs road noise, blah, blah, blah.

Yeah these are duratracs. They seemed to offer that best balance for all around. The only thing they're iffy on is rock crawling on sharp rocks because of a relatively thin sidewall compared to other off-road tires. I don't do much/any of that though so it's not an issue. I was going to do the wildpeaks, but one of the Jeep magazines found in testing that they tend to lock up and slip on loose dirt. That's mostly what I'll be on so I didn't want to deal with that. With a couple of rebates I'm eligible for on the GY's I'll also end up paying like only $2 more for the GY over the Falkens.

Gav'sPurpleZ
04-15-2012, 11:29 PM

I agree, I shopped and researched tires for 3 months before I made my decision.
My brother put the Falkens on his dakota and has no complaints.

another tire i was considering was the Hankook ATM rf10 :xyxthumbs:

Frenchie
04-16-2012, 01:03 AM
nitto mud grappler's 'nuff said....

The Duratrac's are a great tire though. The MT/R Kevlar's are nice as well but hard to find in the big sizes right now.

flyinion
04-16-2012, 01:11 AM
nitto mud grappler's 'nuff said....

The Duratrac's are a great tire though. The MT/R Kevlar's are nice as well but hard to find in the big sizes right now.

Yeah I would love something like the Nitto's but I've read that running them is like putting on wheels made of concrete (they're a very heavy tire). If my Jeep was only a weekend toy trail rig I'd do it for sure. Unfortunately except for once, maybe twice sometimes, a month my Jeep is my daily driver (though only about 15mi. round trip on freeway) so I have to take into account road manners and a bit of MPG when picking a tire right now. JP Magazine has a pretty nice recent shootout of 33 tires and it helped a lot in making my decision on what to go with. The Hot Sheet: 33 Off-Road Tires Tested - Jp Magazine (http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/wheels/154_1203_the_hot_sheet_33_off_road_tires_tested/index.html)

Frenchie
04-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Yea the nitto's are rough. I stepped down a size from those in a 37 to the 35's I am running now. I have Treadwrights right now and I cannot say enough good about them.
FWIW I have a 2 door JK. I have a few pictures here on my intro thread